VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my 1999 NB GLS a few times today. The first two times I drove it today, it was fine and nothing out of the ordinary. Then when I got home, I turned off the car and there was still a 'running' noise coming from the engine. My husband asked if the car was turned off and it was. :confused: I started it again, then turned it off and the noise was still there, then slowly faded. My husband said it sounded like the fan or belts. I drove it twice later that day and there were no problems. Has anyone experienced or heard of this before?

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
Sounds like fans to me. They are electronic, not belt driven. They will continue to cool the engine after you shut down.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Yes, you are hearing the electric cooling fans, technically speaking, that are actuated by thermo-switches, that act much like your household thermostat. The engine actually heats up slightly after turning it off. When the engine reaches a certain temp the fans switch on. If you have stopped after a fast run (the engine is cooled by the movement of flowing air), it is more likely to happen than if you have idled down the street getting to where you parked. The engine has not had time to cool down normally. Nothing to worry about, this is the way they are designed.

MORAV

1 - 3 of 3 Posts