VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I used to buy VW authentic oil filters all the time but I would like to switch to a non-OEM engine oil filer that is 1/3 cheaper. Is that critical to use VW authentic oil filter or it is not a big deal?

Anyone got an idea about this? Thanks.:)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Mann filters; are said to be the oem for VW. So, if you wanted oem quality but not from VW; you might check out a Mann filter, see what they sell for.

https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/products/oil-filter/

I think over the years; the internal filtering material was the primary thing, that was debated as being different, between perceived low and high quality filters, along with the bypass valves. Looking over some of the comparison testing; Mann, seems to be over all "mid quality" shown on comparison charts I have looked at.

There are quite a few oil filter comparison tests on the web and make for interesting reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=con...hrome&ie=UTF-8#q=oil+filter+comparisons+tests

Personally, I am running Amsoil VW spec oil and a Amsoil filter.

What car, year and engine in your VW do you have? What oil are you using and what are your oil change intervals? Much depends on your ideas about preventative maintenance; how long you want to keep your car, how long you want it to last and how much money you want to spend.

Everyone has their own opinion about their favorite oil and filter combination, they use. For myself; I think a oil and filter that meets or exceeds Volkswagen's specification for your particular engine is the base level to start with. If what you want to use; meets those basic requirement, then I think you will be fine and can find whatever brands meets your needs and financial requirements.

I cannot speak for the Australian parts market but here is a comparison; here in the USA.

My car is a 2002 New Beetle Turbo S 1.8T AWP engine code:

Mann oil filter is: W 719/30: prices range online for $6-$10 USD

Genuine VW is: VAG-06A115561B : prices range online for $8.50-$15 USD

I think; you could probably beat the lowest price barrier; by purchasing a whole case of oil filters or finding discounts, coupons online.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your info. Frankly, I don't know much about engine oil filter stuff.
I used to use genuine VW oil filter + fully synthetic oil. I once asked a friend of mine who is an engineer working for Bosch. He always changes engine oil for his wife's BMW X3 with regular oil instead of fully synthetic oil. I guess he did not use genuine BMW filter either. I did not explain to me why. My oil change interval is about one year with limited mileage less than 5000 miles. The oil filter I bought here is an Australian brand.

I guess most of the local auto shops won't use genuine parts for engine oil change unless you go to the VW dealership or those Euro auto shops. As far as I know, most of my friends here go to local part stores to buy the cheaper filters ( oil, air...) for their cars such as Camry, Mazda, Ford, etc.

If I don't put a big mileage on my Beetle, it should not be a big deal to use non genuine VW filter, shouldn't it?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, it is probably not a "big deal"; although, if you wanted oem quality, a Mann branded oil filter would do the trick. Keep in mind; VW does not make any of their filters to begin with, they contract oem's to make them and have the product marked with their logo, put them in a VW logo'd box, sell them through their distribution system/dealer network (that is why they are more expensive). From what I understand; Mann makes them for VW; so, you are essentially getting the same filter, at a lower price. Again, I would use a oil; that meets VW's oil specification for your car and a quality oil filter, it does not have to be a VW branded oil filter, to be a quality filter.

As for using "normal" oil: I would rather follow Volkswagen's recommendations; for the car they made and engineered, then someone's personal opinion. Oil filters are not that expensive; if you're changing your oil once a year, I would go with a higher quality filter than a cheap one and that would theoretically keep your oil cleaner longer. I have owned a 1.8T New Beetle and driven them daily; since 2000, used VW spec synthetic oil the whole time, I have not had any problems and the engine internals have remained clean. Based upon what I see at the auto parts stores; I don't think you save that much money; using "normal" oil and a "cheap" filter, anyway.

·
Keep It Real
1,746 Posts
Well two of the OEM suppliers for VW/Audi oil filters are/were Hengst and Mann, Mahle is also a good filter to consider.

I understand that for most people, money is hard to come by, however, cheaping out on parts and proper labor do not save a dime in the long run and these are the primary reasons why most car owners have a far higher ratio of automotive issues/failures, hence the saying: "Pay me now or pay me later".

Suggestion to all, use only factory parts, parts from an OE supplier or high performance quality parts where applicable, only allow repair tech's that are totally familiar with VW/Audi's to work on your car.

As far as organic vs synthetic oil, a quality synthetic (such as Redline which meets VW/Audi spec's) hands down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts