NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in case anybody was curious...

I ended up replacing the factory HU with a Panasonic HU and in the process answered my own question from the old forum (http://forums.newbeetle.org/showthread.php?threadid=55100).

The non-Monsoon component speakers (mid-bass in the door, tweeter in the A-pillar) in my 2001 GLX do not use a crossover. Both are wired directly to the factory HU front channel speaker inputs (Wish I'd taken a picture of it, but if you pull out your HU you'll see that there are two pairs of wires - two positives and two negatives for four total - going into each front channel in the wiring harness). They handle the additional load on the tweeters by adding what looks like a resistor on the back.

Kind of a cheap way to do it, but on the plus side it made upgrading the stereo that much easier since I didn't have to run my own wire! I just cut the wires from the stock harness and connected them to the Infinity crossover that came with my speakers. The sound difference is incredible (I replaced all the speakers first and listened to them with the stock HU for a couple of days)! Much cleaner/clearer sound. Still not much bass when the car's in motion, but that's what a sub's for (sometime in the future, maybe).

Anyway, sorry for the long-winded post but I just wanted to report back.:)

Thanks for your suggestions, Toad.

- Peter

·
Buggin Out
67 Posts
Oh thank god. Having the wires for the tweeters and midbass speakers all behind the radio makes for a much easier job than I expected. I figured I would have to dig into the foot wells on each side to find where the factory joined the tweeters to the midbass speakers. Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to drag up a 5 year old post, but I think this may have answered a question that I have? Can anyone confirm?

I want to replace the speakers in my front doors, was originally going to go for a component system, but in all honesty I cant be bothered with wiring in crossovers etc etc, so I was hoping I could just replace my door speakers and continue running the in situ tweeters in the a pillars?

So I have already replaced my HU with an Alpine unit and the tweeters still work fine, so if I replaced my door speakers what would I need to continue using the exisiting tweeters? If they are already pre-wired from the wiring loom at the back of the HU I am guessing that they will continue to work regardless? Is that about right? So I could just replace the door speakers with something aftermarket, if so what would you suggest? Mid range speakers or coaxial speakers??

Thoughst suggestions?

Essentially I just want to replace the door speakers with a like for like soilution, but that is better quality than the OEM speakers currently in there, without the need for additional wiring etc etc etc.

Thanks in advance, James.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts