VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife's car. MOMZBUG

Have done a good bit of searching here but have not found a clearly similar issue. Turn the car on, radio goes on with a pop, and then within 20 seconds or so the volume fades to silent. I can then turn the radio up to a reasonable volume and it's fine. When I turn the car on again. not having touched the on/off or the volume, it blasts and then fades to silent again. I have reset the "min vol" setting without any change. Radio also pops when you turn it off.

Have started searching for a stock replacement but hope that's not where this is heading. She has no desire for a non-stock radio.

Thanks all and apologies if this has been asked and answered and I did not find it.

Bill

·
Registered
15,063 Posts
Hmm, sounds like a odd issue; on some old stereo equipment, I have had in the past, one could spray some contact cleaner into potentiometer based knobs/volume/switches to solve odd contact issues. You could pull the stereo, remove the knobs, faceplate and try spraying contact cleaner; into these knob, that controls the volume and see, if this solves the issue.

It maybe a case, where there is a internal issue on the circuit board or other failure, that is starting to rear its ugly head. Head units can be repaired; there are many places online, that offer a send into repair depot service and that could be a option, if you want to stick with your stock head unit and get it fixed.

United Radio, has been referenced; as a solid, reliable and trustworthy repair shop, that has been around for many years. You might contact them and see, what repair service options they offer you.

Many others offer repair as well:

For the contact cleaner, I used this brand with excellent results:

QD® Contact Cleaner, 11 Wt Oz - 02130 - CRC Industries

I get mine, from my local Walmart for the cheapest price but it is available at all automotive parts stores, home improvement and hardware stores.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts