Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

The battery in my 2006 TDI is draining after sitting 2 days unused. I checked:
Battery is good at 12.65 V
Voltage when charging at 14.6 V
Charging cable is ok.
Parasitic drain checks performed with doors locked (but door open). Key off.
No drain between Battery and negative lead.
All fuses (incl under hood) checked with multi meter and no significant drain (per Humble Mechanic instructions) detected.
Ross Tech shows intermitent voltage issues with driver and passenger door module (has done that since I owned the vehicle. The only issue is the loss of the remote for the door lock.

Starting to go nuts! Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks, Folks!

Mike

·
volks r cool
298 Posts
Hi Folks:

Charging cable is ok.
All fuses (incl under hood) checked with multi meter and no significant drain (per Humble Mechanic instructions) detected.
Ross Tech shows intermitent voltage issues with driver and passenger door module (has done that since I owned the vehicle. The only issue is the loss of the remote for the door lock.

Thanks, Folks!

Mike
Y
It could be an internal short in the battery. Try disconnecting the negative terminal for 2 days and see if it keeps its charge.
Done tht allready..thnx

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Folks:

Charging cable is ok.

Thanks, Folks!

Mike
BUMP
Help anyone?
Mike
Seems like I am not the only one. Any other suggestions?
Seems like I am not the only one. Any other suggestions?
Bump
Any help? Suggestion?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,648 Posts
Aftermarket or stock radio? Have you gotten the battery tested at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
If you checked each fuse as per Humble Mechanics instructions and have no drain that you can find, and your fuse block on top of the battery is not melted, my next step would be to pull the fuse on the ac compressor.

Since you have said the alternator is charging at 14.6, that is about the absolute maximum that you really want to see. Disconnect the heavy wire that goes to the back of the alternator, it’s held on by a 13mm nut with a piece of plastic snapped over said nut if that hasn’t been lost. You’ll need to disconnect the negative battery wire first, after disconnecting the alternator wire wrap it in something so it can’t arc on any metal and reconnect the battery wire, let it set for whatever time it takes to drain your battery and then reconnect. Make sure you once again disconnect the negative battery wire before attempting to reconnect the alternator wire.

If your battery is still dead then obviously the alternator isn’t your problem if the battery is good then the alternator has an internal short.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts