NewBeetle.org Forums banner

61 - 80 of 115 Posts

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
There is only so much :blahblah::blahblah::blahblah:... before people think :screwy::screwy:..... I had to :stickpok: I couldn't help myself. But after all this :soapbox:... I think a :usererr:. is in order.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
I smell (insert your own word for bull****).....

As for the engine swap i can't see why you would want to swap anything else other than Vag into a Vag car.

If you want power get 1.8t and do the necessary. If you want economy get a TDI and map it. If you want a giggle then go for a newer 1.4 tsi and map that to 200bhp, lol.
Vw engines are known for being bulletproof, it's why people buy them. Mine is on 158k now and still feels strong, and with the right scheduled maintenance i can't see why it won't carry on. I'm even thinking of putting a charger on there.

And btw, if you're going to go on forums or wherever spouting facts then make sure they aren't fiction first.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Here's the statistics result from Forbes.

Cars With The Most Brand-Loyal Buyers - Forbes

It didn't list VW but according to some other research VW has similar brand loyalty with MB. It did Subaru, MB and BMW all of them have very low customer loyalty. Kia is highest 48%, with Ford following it with 46.5%. Toyota, Honda and Hyundai all have around 40%. This means more people who owned MB or BMW don't want to buy from the same brand again compared with others.

·
Registered
512 Posts
And everything you've been saying here is all opinion and doesn't mean anything!

And he finds VWs much easier to work on than Fords, btw, not just the jobs that he did there and those he does now. He still also appreciates Fords though and doesn't badmouth them as a brand...
Well, I tend to judge brands bad more than good. There are over 30 car makers while in my mind less than half can be considered "good". This is just a comparison not absolute. VW has accumulated a lot of technologies in the past and they did a lot of work. This is like the NBA game. Every team in NBA play good but only some of them play the best. You can say every car maker is good because they can make a car. While I say that only some of them make GOOD cars.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Corvette owners are the most brand loyal, they also drive the least amount of miles of any vehicle. Yet they seem to break, pretty often, and the people keep buying them. It's called status.

I'm working with a life long Mac user. She's had more hard disk failures than any one of the average Windows friends I have. I'm even comparing to my poor boyfriend who had 3 bad drives put into his Compaq. But, she still buys a Mac. It's all she'll own.

If someone else sold me a diesel hatchback that operated as well as my VW did I'd strongly consider it. However I love the character of my car, and you wouldn't be asking about a more reliable engine if you didn't also like the character. Suck it up and get the best engine VW built -- something 8 valves -- and live with it or move on.

I've met a slew of 200k 1.8T owners lately, there is a 2000 Beetle that's my neighbors. She said she was 173,000 and wants to see the car to 200,000. She noted the interior has had to be "glued back together, but that's the only thing that breaks!" She was rather enthusiastic about how well the car's held up, seeming to understand that plastic parts when commonly used are going to become brittle and break.

What's your life expectancy of a pair of pants? 5 years? 5 Months? 5 weeks? 5 wearings?

Some people expect plastic interior bits that you grab on to (nevermind mood swings that influence the amount of force on those plastic components) to last 15 to 20 years. The first time they come out in a rage and yank that interior handle hard to slam the door shut and it comes off in their hands it's all the car's fault.

This is a complex issue - that's what I'm trying to point out here - the interior build quality of the car is actually quite nice when compared to some other vehicles of the same generation and holds up just about as well if not better. Company any 99-00 VW to a Ford, particularly the Focus. The plastics in the VW are holding up better than the Ford (and won't splinter in a collision and impale you -- they recalled the passenger interior trims in the 99 model year Focus for this very problem).

Everyone makes mistakes - Honda using GM transmissions, Ford for thinking Mexican plastic was reliable, VW for thinking "lifetime fluid" was a good idea.

In the end you accept it.

Back to the topic. The only valid non-vw engine swap is a Subaru Boxter into an 80s era Vanagon. And even that is upshot by a 1Z VW TDI swap in the same vehicle.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,901 Posts
Back to the topic. The only valid non-vw engine swap is a Subaru Boxter into an 80s era Vanagon. And even that is upshot by a 1Z VW TDI swap in the same vehicle.
Yup. I happen to know of one of each :cool:

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Please define "valid". I know of other types of swaps for VWs, mostly older type 1's, but wanted clarification as to the meaning in this context before I comment further.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Corvette owners are the most brand loyal, they also drive the least amount of miles of any vehicle. Yet they seem to break, pretty often, and the people keep buying them. It's called status.

I'm working with a life long Mac user. She's had more hard disk failures than any one of the average Windows friends I have. I'm even comparing to my poor boyfriend who had 3 bad drives put into his Compaq. But, she still buys a Mac. It's all she'll own.

If someone else sold me a diesel hatchback that operated as well as my VW did I'd strongly consider it. However I love the character of my car, and you wouldn't be asking about a more reliable engine if you didn't also like the character. Suck it up and get the best engine VW built -- something 8 valves -- and live with it or move on.

I've met a slew of 200k 1.8T owners lately, there is a 2000 Beetle that's my neighbors. She said she was 173,000 and wants to see the car to 200,000. She noted the interior has had to be "glued back together, but that's the only thing that breaks!" She was rather enthusiastic about how well the car's held up, seeming to understand that plastic parts when commonly used are going to become brittle and break.

What's your life expectancy of a pair of pants? 5 years? 5 Months? 5 weeks? 5 wearings?

Some people expect plastic interior bits that you grab on to (nevermind mood swings that influence the amount of force on those plastic components) to last 15 to 20 years. The first time they come out in a rage and yank that interior handle hard to slam the door shut and it comes off in their hands it's all the car's fault.

This is a complex issue - that's what I'm trying to point out here - the interior build quality of the car is actually quite nice when compared to some other vehicles of the same generation and holds up just about as well if not better. Company any 99-00 VW to a Ford, particularly the Focus. The plastics in the VW are holding up better than the Ford (and won't splinter in a collision and impale you -- they recalled the passenger interior trims in the 99 model year Focus for this very problem).

Everyone makes mistakes - Honda using GM transmissions, Ford for thinking Mexican plastic was reliable, VW for thinking "lifetime fluid" was a good idea.

In the end you accept it.

How do you know Corvette drivers are most loyal? Also don't you know that Corvette is a RACING car? This means Corvette is being used for pleasure, and owners of Corvette enjoy its performance, handling, etc. It's not designed for DAILY USE. So, Corvette drivers never care about how much problem it has because they only drive it for fun. Do you know that the F-1 formula cars need engine replacement after every 2 games? Corvette's loyalty is caused by the performance. If Corvette doesn't have good performance its customers will switch to others with better performance for sure.

But, what about NBs? It's designed for DAILY USE. So, as a daily use car what people need most is RELIABLE. If a daily use car is not reliable then people won't buy it next time this is the common sense. Yes NBs are fun to drive but you are not racing on the road. All you need the car to do is to safely send you to your destination without any issues.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,901 Posts
All you need the car to do is to safely send you to your destination without any issues.
Yes, and there are quite a lot of people where this is the case with their VWs. Remember, most often you have people posting online about problems, not about the good things. I only had my NB leave me stranded once in 6 1/2 years(that wasn't my fault...I busted the oil pan once so I won't count that) and it wasn't dead. I just had a broken shift linkage but still had 3rd and 4th so it was driveable. It also protected me extremely well in my accident last August. 45mph road (I know we were both probably doing 50 or more), other driver crossed the center lane and it wasn't head-on only because I swerved. Hit in the drivers side wheel and down the entire drivers side. My injuries were only from the airbag and the car took a serious beating, but inside the car on first glance you'd have no clue there was an accident besides the airbags being deployed. So I'd say it was quite safe and extremely reliable for 6 1/2 years. And I know of many others who have had years of reliability from their VWs. I also know of people who have had problems with other makes and models of cars...Chevy's, Fords, Hondas...

I really don't get why you have to keep coming in here to keep this topic up. We all know you're just a troll who hates VWs. You will continue to be met with opposition since we all know these cars and the brand far better than you.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Yes, and there are quite a lot of people where this is the case with their VWs. Remember, most often you have people posting online about problems, not about the good things. I only had my NB leave me stranded once in 6 1/2 years(that wasn't my fault...I busted the oil pan once so I won't count that) and it wasn't dead. I just had a broken shift linkage but still had 3rd and 4th so it was driveable. It also protected me extremely well in my accident last August. 45mph road (I know we were both probably doing 50 or more), other driver crossed the center lane and it wasn't head-on only because I swerved. Hit in the drivers side wheel and down the entire drivers side. My injuries were only from the airbag and the car took a serious beating, but inside the car on first glance you'd have no clue there was an accident besides the airbags being deployed. So I'd say it was quite safe and extremely reliable for 6 1/2 years. And I know of many others who have had years of reliability from their VWs. I also know of people who have had problems with other makes and models of cars...Chevy's, Fords, Hondas...

I really don't get why you have to keep coming in here to keep this topic up. We all know you're just a troll who hates VWs. You will continue to be met with opposition since we all know these cars and the brand far better than you.

Again I don't hate VWs. On the contrary I love it like you. But love it doesn't mean try to keep as many people own it as possible. For us we try to maintain cars well but a lot of people tend to own a car and do minimum maintenance or even less and we all know that VWs are not good with minimum maintenance. Are you going to teach them how to do good maintenance? Even if you do this they won't do it this is the life attitude. So I'm just trying to warn them that if they keep it with minimum maintenance they'll only get troubles with it.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,901 Posts
I don't think everyone should own them either. But when you go into threads and the first thing you say is "VW's just suck" that doesn't really show love of the car or brand.

There is a difference between presenting the information and being mean/hateful. I certainly don't think VWs are perfect and again, not everyone should have one. But when someone has a problem with one, I'm not going to tell them that "VW's just suck". I'm going to walk them through the problem and if its common, then yeah I'll say so. But I try to be informative and impartial, and the impartial thing you really have a problem with.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't think everyone should own them either. But when you go into threads and the first thing you say is "VW's just suck" that doesn't really show love of the car or brand.

There is a difference between presenting the information and being mean/hateful. I certainly don't think VWs are perfect and again, not everyone should have one. But when someone has a problem with one, I'm not going to tell them that "VW's just suck". I'm going to walk them through the problem and if its common, then yeah I'll say so. But I try to be informative and impartial, and the impartial thing you really have a problem with.

Sometimes people asking questions here have different mind. Some of them are really asking about how to solve and how much money cost. However some of them are just saying like they can't live without the car and they don't have money and blablabla...which makes me feel that they are not asking for solution they are begging money... Everybody knows that repairing cars needs money and even if you do the work yourself the parts will cost you a lot too, especially German car parts are always more expensive. I tend to just tell them to get rid of the car and walk instead of telling them how to solve because they'll tell you that they don't have money to do it....

·
Registered
512 Posts
Same as any car, or anything else you own for that matter.
Not the same. Some models live far better with minimum maintenance while VWs don't stand long with minimum maintenance. For example if you own a Toyota Corolla, most likely with normal driving all you have to do is to change engine oil, tires, brakes and battery, light bulbs and windshield wipers before it hits 150k. Lots of Corolla owners do this. However this is probably the only advantage of this model. It's not safe, neither fun to drive. One of my friends had a '01 corolla and was hit by somebody else from rear, bumper hit bumper, and the car was totalled. VWs always have better safety. In the NCAA test the Tiguan took 5 times its own weight pressure from the top and the top only moved 2inch while some other cars are totally smashed. This is for sure, that VWs are really not designed to run with minimum maintenance.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,901 Posts
Sometimes people asking questions here have different mind. Some of them are really asking about how to solve and how much money cost. However some of them are just saying like they can't live without the car and they don't have money and blablabla...which makes me feel that they are not asking for solution they are begging money... Everybody knows that repairing cars needs money and even if you do the work yourself the parts will cost you a lot too, especially German car parts are always more expensive. I tend to just tell them to get rid of the car and walk instead of telling them how to solve because they'll tell you that they don't have money to do it....
I've been on this site for 8 years. I don't think I've once encountered someone who was like that. Yes, there are many attached to their cars, but that doesn't mean they are begging for money. Those asking questions on here DO want to fix their cars, whether they can do it themselves or not. Telling them to "get rid of the car and walk" is not helpful at all. If they say they don't have the money to do it, then that's fine, we don't always have money to blow on our cars at a certain point in time (I had to do maintenance on my car 2 months before my wedding, some of it I had to put off due to that). But so what? They still need help with their problems. And selling a car with problems wont' get them much money...and if they are in that situation they'd likely be getting another used car, which could then turn out to be a huge money pit...its a gamble with a used car. You don't know the story of a lot of the posters here at all. I know there are a few users who are pretty strapped for cash, but they've had the car for years and know the history so why risk another car they know nothing about?

·
Registered
512 Posts
I've been on this site for 8 years. I don't think I've once encountered someone who was like that. Yes, there are many attached to their cars, but that doesn't mean they are begging for money. Those asking questions on here DO want to fix their cars, whether they can do it themselves or not. Telling them to "get rid of the car and walk" is not helpful at all. If they say they don't have the money to do it, then that's fine, we don't always have money to blow on our cars at a certain point in time (I had to do maintenance on my car 2 months before my wedding, some of it I had to put off due to that). But so what? They still need help with their problems. And selling a car with problems wont' get them much money...and if they are in that situation they'd likely be getting another used car, which could then turn out to be a huge money pit...its a gamble with a used car. You don't know the story of a lot of the posters here at all. I know there are a few users who are pretty strapped for cash, but they've had the car for years and know the history so why risk another car they know nothing about?

Probably you are right on this since you have more experience than I do. Another thing I have to mention is that I love NBs but I hate the company volkswagen. Why? the idea of the Beetle is very good but the sucking volkswagen made this model full of problems. They are trying to make money on repairs and parts which is a pain to their customers. Therefore they are making money on people's pain. This is why I said vw just sucks.

61 - 80 of 115 Posts