NewBeetle.org Forums banner

81 - 100 of 115 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,903 Posts
But they don't. You need to be around the cars and the people for a long time. My husband grew up around VWs (both of his parents have had VWs over the years) and working on them. I've loved them since I was a kid. I've been in the scene for a good 9-10 years now. My husband's first car was awful, but he also got it at almost 200k and it hadn't had some known issues taken care of by the PO. Its now going strong at 330k in his second set of hands since my husband. We have 3 VWs in the driveway, I'm on my second one, as is he. We have an old project VW (a turbo diesel, that gets over 50mpg and there are a lot of VWs of this gen well over 500k). It was neglected but was a strong car even with that. There are problems across the board, not just the NB. But they also make some really great cars. VW doesn't suck. All car companies have their faults and their cars that are problem children, not just VW. And all car companies plan for breakage and obsolescence. Its just not about decade long reliability anymore, and that's across the board. Mercedes used to give badges to owners every 250k they hit...I've seen a few with the million mile badges. Now, 250k to most car owners is absolutely ridiculous, regardless of brand loyalty.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
I don't think everyone should own them either. But when you go into threads and the first thing you say is "VW's just suck" that doesn't really show love of the car or brand.

There is a difference between presenting the information and being mean/hateful. I certainly don't think VWs are perfect and again, not everyone should have one. But when someone has a problem with one, I'm not going to tell them that "VW's just suck". I'm going to walk them through the problem and if its common, then yeah I'll say so. But I try to be informative and impartial, and the impartial thing you really have a problem with.
Well said.

Geniushanbaio, as this forum is viewed on your computer, look in the upper left hand corner of your computer it says.. newbeetle.org- the ultimate resource for new beetle ENTHUSIASTS.

a : one who is ardently attached to a cause, object, or pursuit <a sports car enthusiast>

the passion of an enthusiast, at least here, is to inform in a constructive manner. We have a passion for the new beetle and love to share it with those who visit the forums. We as enthusiasts do experience problems with our rides, BUT being that we're passionate, albeit sometimes perplexed, we offer constructive solutions, and not degrade the brand. We offer the pros and cons, whatever they might be and let the reader decide for themselves. Telling someone that VW's suck, is in itself counterproductive to the spirit of the word enthusiast.

For the most part, those who post and lurk here are adult enough to reason and make their own decisions from disclosed information and constructive criticism. Who they are and how much ,money they have or don't have, regardless how it sounds to you, is frankly none of your business. You don't know their background, nor their desire to keep what they have. Many feel that they're better fixing their car, instead of being stuck with 4-5 years of car payments, especially in this fragile economy. Maybe they're on the fence on keeping their ride and need an intelligent point of view; not someone telling them to walk away from their car, or telling them that VW's suck. Comments like that lack maturity and are the complete opposite of an enthusiast. Saying you love the nB, yet bash them the way you do is an oxymoron. It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Well you might say that the org is giving everyone a sugar-coated view of our cars and not giving the full deal of intel. Well, to some degree there's a sliver of truth to that- if you don't expect that to happen on an enthusiast forum, you're being naive. But for every one that fawns excessively over their bug (which I an enthusiast am proud to say I do) there's at least 2 more that share their passion for the beetle, encased with constructive criticism, so the owner can make the right choices for themselves.

Bottom line, this is an enthusiast forum. Bring your info in an adult, mature manner. All of this bashing is not in the spirit of newbeetle.org. If you want to argue, and have an "I know it all" measuring contest, go to VWvortex. If you can't bring information to this forum in an constructive manner, newbeetle.org is not for you.

Your views are well documented ad nauseam. You are now beating a dead horse. For the betterment of the forums, put this to rest and approach your comments with constructive criticism and in the spirit of this enthusiasts forum.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
:werd: :werd: and :werd:....Yup, what my brudah said :bigthumb:
Especially the part about going to the Vortex, of witch he is already a member. He also stated that over on the Vortex "they are more professional and better skilled at things".
That one statement, as well as all the rest of the :soapbox: BS, tell you a lot about this ever knowing everything, about every car ever built. He is such a Texxer, but always end's up back here.

ps..............:usererr:

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
This is why I said vw just sucks.
Then don't buy one, simple.

As for your previous comment about minimal maintenance not being true in all cases i'm sorry but it is.
If you have a phone and you don't bother cleaning it, throw it in your bag with abandon, don't put a case on it etc.. you're bound to end up with a broken phone, end of.
Same with cars. If you wait till the oil light comes on then put cheap grade oil in, or wait for the coolant light to come on before putting water in or wait till you tyres are bare before changing them for part worns, or don't wash your car then you will end up with a heap that isn't worth owning, simple.

You mentioned the toyota being able to run on minimal maintenance but then say it's unsafe to drive. Guess why???
Then you say Vw's are better for safety and better built.

Are you always this contradictory or do you just want to appear that way? It seems to me that you think you have an answer for everything then fail to actually back it up.

·
ToD Maiden Voyager
3,403 Posts
I'm a MS in engineering and going to get a PHD this is not a big deal to me but I know it's not easy to most people.
well then, knowing that, i guess there's no point in arguing...given your academic achievements, that clearly makes you the winner in any argument with a VW enthusiast. :rolleyes:

guess all that's left to do now is sell my NB immediately and buy a Honda or Toyota.

yeah. that'll happen. :wink: :roflmao:

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
"non-vw-engine-swap" has come a long way ....
:lol:

:werd: :werd: and :werd:....Yup, what my brudah said :bigthumb:
Especially the part about going to the Vortex, of witch he is already a member. He also stated that over on the Vortex "they are more professional and better skilled at things".
That one statement, as well as all the rest of the :soapbox: BS, tell you a lot about this ever knowing everything, about every car ever built. He is such a Texxer, but always end's up back here.

ps..............:usererr:
x2. :D

well then, knowing that, i guess there's no point in arguing...given your academic achievements, that clearly makes you the winner in any argument with a VW enthusiast. :rolleyes:

guess all that's left to do now is sell my NB immediately and buy a Honda or Toyota.

yeah. that'll happen. :wink: :roflmao:
I am too. BTW Vance's Honda Civic's TB just broke at 140K and he junked the car. :rolleyes:

My 98 AEG had 92K on it when I got it back in 8/09 and it sat for a year prior to me getting it. I bought it for $1500 and have only spent $500 on it for your so-called stranded on the side of the road repairs. First, it was a Crankshaft Position Sensor. Second, my car stopped, but I was able to drive it over 10 miles to a shop. I took it to a non-vw shop and it took him 2.5 days to figure it out. Since then, I only do the work to my car. I too am an Engineer. A Stationary Engineer. ;) I come here because there are plenty of knowledgable people here to help out someone that has car knowledge. I use a $15 scanner and have driven 80K plus miles. I just hit 173,300 miles on my car, I get over 27 MPG in it not babying it on my 120 mile round trip commute. I would replicate my ToD trip, 3100 miles, tomorrow if I had the cash for gas and hotels to go. I know my nB will take me there and back no worries. :D I think totally I have about $3500 wrapped up into my car including brakes twice and $1000 rims. I wouldn't sell it for under $3000 now! :rolleyes: BTW, I also have won trophies at car shows for my POS daily driver VW! :roflmao:

Back to your regularlly scheduled thread...I would love to see a mid engine American V8 powered nB! I think that would be a fun project. Seems like that would be the only possible way to stuff something like that in our car. :D

·
Registered
512 Posts
But they don't. You need to be around the cars and the people for a long time. My husband grew up around VWs (both of his parents have had VWs over the years) and working on them. I've loved them since I was a kid. I've been in the scene for a good 9-10 years now. My husband's first car was awful, but he also got it at almost 200k and it hadn't had some known issues taken care of by the PO. Its now going strong at 330k in his second set of hands since my husband. We have 3 VWs in the driveway, I'm on my second one, as is he. We have an old project VW (a turbo diesel, that gets over 50mpg and there are a lot of VWs of this gen well over 500k). It was neglected but was a strong car even with that. There are problems across the board, not just the NB. But they also make some really great cars. VW doesn't suck. All car companies have their faults and their cars that are problem children, not just VW. And all car companies plan for breakage and obsolescence. Its just not about decade long reliability anymore, and that's across the board. Mercedes used to give badges to owners every 250k they hit...I've seen a few with the million mile badges. Now, 250k to most car owners is absolutely ridiculous, regardless of brand loyalty.

Actually the history developed and story changed. In 1970s and 1980s, probably when you grew up, VW had made wonderful cars. The 1980 VW Passat was introduced to China and named "Santana" in late 1980s and it remained on the market in the past 25 years and still a lot of people buy it now. Although they redesigned Santana2000 and Santana3000 the original Santana is still believed to be the best VW model sold in China. We also can find a lot of vintage beetles from year 1970s in US and the owners say that they are more reliable than the new beetle. In the 1990s VW really didn't do too much on TECHNOLOGY development. They put lots of their money on developing complicated systems to avoid users to service. At least now lots of mechanics say that VW is more difficult to service than other models.

To the people who blame me: Some of your money spent on the VW cars are actually spent by VW to develop the complicated systems WHICH WORK AGAINST YOU by making it more and more difficult for you to service the car. And you guys are speaking for VW?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,903 Posts
To the people who blame me: Some of your money spent on the VW cars are actually spent by VW to develop the complicated systems WHICH WORK AGAINST YOU by making it more and more difficult for you to service the car. And you guys are speaking for VW?
And EVERY SINGLE CAR COMPANY is getting more complicated and harder to work on for the average joe. Its not just VW! Everything is controlled by sensors and electronics and computers. Its not just VW at all.

Also I like how you keep picking out what I say...I'm not the only one who thinks this way and it shows.

I also have never once said that VW is better than it was in the 80's. Certain things are better, but there are things that are worse (their autos for one). I know this. I've had my share of VWs and also am great friends with my VW mechanic (and have been for the past 4+ years). Trust me, I'm fully aware of the problems with VWs. I'm also aware of problems in other brands. Again, I really don't get why you keep coming in here to stir the pot. You are the lone one in here with these thoughts. It really is obvious you don't like VW. You have something against them, and I'm not sure what. But really, get away from VWs and get yourself over to Hondas and Toyotas if they are so great and VWs are so bad. I really don't know why you are even here since you just love to badmouth the cars so much.

Usually when we get someone badmouthing, they post up one thing and then leave...

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
I'm not gone...

Like Smiley said, every car got more complicated since then. These friggin computers stop everyone from working on their cars in their garages. That's why we are here. With the knowledge of the old school cars and the experinces of fellow VW owners, we stay away from the dealerships and work on them ourselves. And keep them going for a low cost. :D Back to work for me. Lol!

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
We also can find a lot of vintage beetles from year 1970s in US and the owners say that they are more reliable than the new beetle.
Again, crap.

My other half has a 1972 beetle, It needs constant maintenance just to keep it on the road and if one speck of dust gets into the carb it's stuffed. Whereas I would quite happily drive my own newbie around Europe tomorrow. In fact i did 2000 miles through France and back in just over a week about a year ago ans guess what, the car still runs the same today.
An aircooled beetle takes more upkeep than anything else i know.
Whether it be the constant oil changes, bad mpg, rusting and crap pattern parts you have to use it all takes more down time than anything modern.

At least if i notice something doesn't feel right i can plug my laptop in and get half an idea what's wrong. On anything old you end up replacing things because you're not sure exactly what it is. I know which way i prefer.

·
Registered
512 Posts
And EVERY SINGLE CAR COMPANY is getting more complicated and harder to work on for the average joe. Its not just VW! Everything is controlled by sensors and electronics and computers. Its not just VW at all.

Also I like how you keep picking out what I say...I'm not the only one who thinks this way and it shows.

I also have never once said that VW is better than it was in the 80's. Certain things are better, but there are things that are worse (their autos for one). I know this. I've had my share of VWs and also am great friends with my VW mechanic (and have been for the past 4+ years). Trust me, I'm fully aware of the problems with VWs. I'm also aware of problems in other brands. Again, I really don't get why you keep coming in here to stir the pot. You are the lone one in here with these thoughts. It really is obvious you don't like VW. You have something against them, and I'm not sure what. But really, get away from VWs and get yourself over to Hondas and Toyotas if they are so great and VWs are so bad. I really don't know why you are even here since you just love to badmouth the cars so much.

Usually when we get someone badmouthing, they post up one thing and then leave...

These badmouth guys are really badmouths. I'm not badmouthing something I'm just speaking something I feel. You might have different feelings but I feel like this. I'm not willing to do something just share the feelings. The feelings VW gave me are mostly negative. When I was in China I always drove on highway between Beijing and Tianjin which is around 120km away and I noticed that for the cars stopped on side of the highway and smoking, 8 out of 10 were VWs. Don't think VW has a high market occupation in China instead the model Daihatsu Charade is the best selling because of cheap. Despite this Chinese people have a very positive attitude towards VW because they entered the Chinese market the earliest and this applied to me too. However it totally changed my mind after I worked with some mechanics. Almost all of the mechanics in China say that VWs have more more problems than others and don't recommend me buy VW. A few years ago I came to the US and I wished I could find something different here. However what I found here is exactly the same as what I found in China. And furthermore, VW uses same parts around the world while Toyota and Honda use best parts in US and Europe while dump bad parts into China. VW reliability can't even beat the bad parts from Toyota and Honda! This made me very dissapointed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't say these words here. Again I don't care how much work I have to do on my car. However I'll have a feeling about how much work done to each car. Feeling is not the same as enthusiasms. You love somebody but he might hurt you a lot. Your love never changed but that he hurt you you'll feel that. That's all.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,903 Posts
I see far more Hondas, Toyotas and Fords broken down and abandoned on the side of the road than I do VWs. And if they have such negative connotations for you, then like its been said, don't be around them!

Saying "VW sucks" is badmouthing. And you say VW can't beat the bad parts from Toyota...I don't see VWs speeding down the road on their own like Toyotas did...

And wow, I can't even believe you said that last statement. You're really comparing VW owners to domestic abuse?! That is just poor taste and uncalled for.

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
But your arguments are non-existent, can't you see that????

You even just said that no matter where you go in the world you can get exactly the same part for your VW. And this is a bad thing?

You mentioned a Daihatsu Charade in you last post which is one of the most non-descript badly put together hateful pieces of dog turd on the road today. And you really think people will buy that over their newbie or Golf?

Get your head out of the engineering books and wake up. Please, it's getting embarassing.

And if this is what the future of engineering is going to be in the U.S i really feel sorry for you guys.

·
Registered
512 Posts
You mentioned a Daihatsu Charade in you last post which is one of the most non-descript badly put together hateful pieces of dog turd on the road today. And you really think people will buy that over their newbie or Golf?

You know what, this is the truth. The 1980 Charade was introduced to China in early 1990s(I can't remember, probably 1989), renamed "Xiali" and it remained in the market in the past 20 years and its successor designed by FAW is still on the market and it's always the best selling car in China. In the past 20 years this model has served as taxi cars and more and more cities replaced with some larger cars because they have to consider about "city image". Beijing is now using mostly Hyundai Elantra and some VW Jetta. However lots of taxi drivers in Beijing complain that the new taxi car cost more gas, have more troubles and parts are more expensive than the previous. Some taxi drivers had their Xiali(Charade) run over 500k km without engine rebuild while with VW Jetta/Santana they can never run over 300k km. One taxi driver had his EFI Xiali run 740k km without engine rebuild and till the time I found this news he was still driving it.

VW Golf/Jetta? Just toys. On reliability they can never be compared with Charade. I have some wealthy friends who have Golf or POLO they told me that their cars be in for service almost every month for some problems.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
wether the car, its parts, or any other thing associate with a car, works for or against us the consumer; it is the duty of ANY car maker, to use a portion of consumer dollars & put it into research & development, wether you deem the product worthy or not. like it or not, VW is a long standing brand, with a faithful consumer base. I don't think they are losing any sleep over how you feel VW is using their consumer dollars.

no one is blaming you... you have convicted yourself. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck quacks like a duck, then it is a duck; and you have been quacking demeaning, condescending and negative comments, with no constructive criticism, on this an enthusiasts forum.

in my 8 years of being a member on the org, we have always been open to both sides of the coin and constructive criticism. your comments have been nothing but counterproductive to this enthusiasts forum.

contrary to what some might think, here on the org, we do not have an insatiable appetite or a quest for bickering, bashing or degrading the spirit of this forum, those who participate in it, or any owner or potential buyer. furthermore, we are not making an effort to look for arguments. nor do we try and continue to stir up a lot of mess, in this enthusiasts forum.

this has become tired, played, and annoying. enough is enough. go to vw vortex and argue all you want.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.com App

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Future of engineering? It's too early to say. If you look at the auto market share on WSJ, you'll find that VW+Audi only occupies no more than 4% in US market.
I give up...

I meant if you are the future of engineering in the U.S then I feel sorry for you guys.

Seriously lighten up or go have some fun, you seem like you need it.

·
Registered
512 Posts
wether the car, its parts, or any other thing associate with a car, works for or against us the consumer; it is the duty of ANY car maker, to use a portion of consumer dollars & put it into research & development, wether you deem the product worthy or not. like it or not, VW is a long standing brand, with a faithful consumer base. I don't think they are losing any sleep over how VW is using their consumer dollars.

no one is blaming you... you have convicted yourself if it looks like a.com a walks like a duck quacks like a duck, then it is a duck.; and you have been quacking demeaning, condescending and negative comments, with no constructive criticism, on an enthusiasts forum.

in my 8 years of being a member on the org, we have always been open to both sides of the coin and constructive criticism. your comments have been nothing but counterproductive to this enthusiasts forum.

contrary to what some might think, here on the org, we do not have an insatiable appetite or a quest for bickering, bashing or degrading the spirit of this forum , those to visit it or the vehicles that we own, or have the potential of buying. furthermore, we are not making an effort to look for an argument. nor do we try and continue to stir up a lot of mess, in this enthusiasts forum.

this has become tired, played, and annoying. enough is enough. go to vw vortex and argue all you want.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using AutoGuide.com App

You represent the forum? If so OK I got to know that here only accept flatters and I won't say a word here. I understand that the world does not welcome somebody who tells others the truth.

81 - 100 of 115 Posts