NewBeetle.org Forums banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
Where did he say "HE" represented the forum? :confused: The core members here on this forum speak the truth all the time. We let everyone know to change their TB/WP or they'll be in trouble. We also tell them the early autos do need to have their fluid changed. Just like any other automaker's car needs their maintenance on. We just don't hate our cars and are Enthusiasts. :D

Agreed on the Engineering statement NightTrain. Can I move to London? :lol:

·
I don't care.....
786 Posts
Where did he say "HE" represented the forum? :confused: The core members here on this forum speak the truth all the time. We let everyone know to change their TB/WP or they'll be in trouble. We also tell them the early autos do need to have their fluid changed. Just like any other automaker's car needs their maintenance on. We just don't hate our cars and are Enthusiasts. :D

Agreed on the Engineering statement NightTrain. Can I move to London? :lol:
I have a spare room, feel free. ;)

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
Why do you all keep talking to this guy? If no one replies to his posts he most likely will go away. Just saying that we all may be feeding a need to feel "important".

There are other things I would like to say (express my opinion) about some of his posts and I don't even currently own a NB ( I still own a 1975 bug) .... but I am trying to be a better Christian.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
You represent the forum? If so OK I got to know that here only accept flatters and I won't say a word here. I understand that the world does not welcome somebody who tells others the truth.
As Joel said, did I say that I represented the org? NO I didn't. And the TRUTH is, you didn't read many of my posts directed to you. If you did, you would've read my comment, "It's not what you say, but how you say it". But once again, you start spewing off at the mouth, and want to make another Vortex-esque platform for arguing.

As far as the org is concerned- one thing I do represent is the spirit of what we do here. We are a community of enthusiasts; We love our beetles- some love/hate them. Weather we love or hate our beetles, one thing we as a community do. We bring enthusiasm for our cars; we bring constructive criticism to the forums. We bring the pros and cons of the new beetle to the forums, in a constructive and mature manner, so that the viewer can make their decisions themselves. And as I said earlier, and you failed to read, if you're coming to a enthusiasts forum of any kind, and don't expect, hype, praise and props for the cars we own, you're being naive, and are fooling yourself. Saying "VW's suck", isn't truth- maybe truth to you, but in the environment of an enthusiasts forum, it is far from it. Again, bring "your truth", but bring it in an mature, adult manner.

We accept flattery for our bugs, sure.... it's an enthusiasts forum, duh? Still, we accept the other side of the coin. the problems, the frustrations and those who just give up on their beetles. From all my viewing here in the forums, most of the aforementioned have been approached with tact and maturity; even if someone gives up, walks away from their bug and the forums.

Again, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

One thing we pride ourselves here, is getting together, for shows and just hanging out. From small scale to major regional GtG's, we love em, and oft live vicariously through the GtG's of others. The GtG experience is to some degree a microcosm of the org and our forum format....

... a great number of beetle owners gather together from all over the country, passionate about their rides and those that share the same bond. These people share stories of how they got their beetles; the also share the war stories of the issues they faced and even the frustration and even some of their love/hate relationships. Still, they respect the gathering of fellow beetle owners.

Others see this gathering of beetles/owners and stop by. They ask about their bugs, in every detail. They even ask how they like them. Although spirited, the owners give them the whole truth about our quirky bugs, and gives the visitor info that will allow them to decipher intelligent and mature dialouge, which helps them to answer the question, "is this the car for me"?

All of a sudden, in the midst of this car gathering; the car owners and the interested visitors, a fellow beetle owner shows up in the midst of the enthusiasts. Many become aggravated with the approach of this "fellow beetle owner"- for he belittles the car and the brand. He further continues, in the midst of the enthusiasts, to belittle those who love their cars, the car brand. Any info that is presented is squelched, by fomenting comments of immaturity, and a know it all attitude.

Soon, the enthusiasts try and distance themselves from this "fellow beetle owner". Not because He isn't a rah rah beetle owner, but because He's being a damper on the gathering of enthusiasts. Again, it's not what you say, but how you say it.

This scenerio is somewhat reflective of what the org is like- the place for new beetle enthusiasts. Come in here with some tact and maturity. Bring "your truth" but learn how to bring it properly. And bashing VW's or the new beetle isn't "the truth"... it's just your slant on how you feel about VW's.

You don't want to flatter VW, fine. But don't come up here trying to be a wet blanket in this forum. Whatever info you present will speak for itself, and the consumer can make their decision from it.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
:werd: :werd: and :werd:....Yup, what my brudah said :bigthumb:
Especially the part about going to the Vortex, of witch he is already a member. He also stated that over on the Vortex "they are more professional and better skilled at things".
That one statement, as well as all the rest of the :soapbox: BS, tell you a lot about this ever knowing everything, about every car ever built. He is such a Texxer, but always end's up back here.

ps..............:usererr:
Yup......what he said AGAIN !!!!!

and another... :usererr:.... because I feel it's necessary.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,908 Posts
x2 on what Al said.

There are plenty of times where even the most diehard of NB lovers will tell a new user who is asking if they should get into a NB that its not the car for them. We don't force anyone to get into these cars and we know them well enough to know when another brand may be better for them. But anyone who does decide the car is for them, we will help them along in their journey...finding a car, fixing it, modding it, etc.

We ARE a community. We all respect each other, even in our disagreements (which trust me, there are plenty of them). We share a common love of VWs/NBs. Some have been around the cars for decades, others just days. But we certainly don't have on the rosy colored glasses you think we do. We know these cars inside and out. We know the common problems. We know how to fix them. We know when to tell people that yes, they should walk away (there have been a few instances of that I know) but they are for reasons other than what you've insinuated. We know these cars aren't for everyone...and because we love them so much we want to make sure they are in the hands of people who really will treat them well.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
Yup.......what she said.

Sent with my Droid using my Peace. Love. & T.o.D. 2012.. app

·
Registered
1 Posts
vw have great engines

vw have more than reliable engines. so reliable that i traveled over 500,000 miles on my gti 2.0 sohc i bought the car with 70k miles. all i have done is routine maintenance oil,plugs,wires,gaskets,. i changed the timing belt and water pump @ 160k just because i thought i should. i also changed the starter and alternator recently. but thats it! 430k miles of road. id say that engine is bullet proof. I have about 4 vw at the moment and have had many through the years. they are the best. before you work on a vw read up and work on them properly and you wont have any problems.

·
High mileage driver found
266 Posts
I totally disagree with the VW part. VW engines are craps and even if under good maintenance they burn oil after 300k miles while others don't.
650,000 km on my Bug with no real problems. Go play in the traffic.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,470 Posts
650,000 km on my Bug with no real problems. Go play in the traffic.
WOAH, back from the dead! :) I just gotta LOL. This is the reason I love this group. The amount of love and niceness that flows is great. Then when a hater comes in, we band together to try to smother the hater fire.

To bad this thread had lent very little info to the OP. I hope they figured everything out. :)

Proud to be an Orger! :banana:

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
One of the last things I remember my mom telling me before she died was to "Never get into a piss fight with a skunk"

Damn I miss her.

Chuckie

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you want to take the time anything is possible. I planned a 5.3l ls swap in a 98 Beetle I had. Building the front cross member would be simple. You will have to cut the firewall, build a new transmission tunnel,mount a rear diff assy. I had a Lexus sc400 rear cradle that would fit perfectly in between the rear rails. Put a fuel cell in behind the rear diff.as long as you can get the front bank of cylinders close to the center line of the front spindles it will have excellent weight distribution.

·
Black Velvet
992 Posts
I just got through from reading the comments on this thread. I was just so appalled on how one individual can be so hateful towards one product. I know that this is an old thread, but I'm just gonna say what my mom tell me "don't believe the hype" as referring to Toyota's and Honda's are better cars because the truth is nobody's perfect including Toyota and Honda. In fact I had a Toyota and it spent more time in the shop than it did on the road it even left me stranded a few times. I had a blown head gasket that left me without a car for about several months. My Nissan Altima had a starter issue and I only had less than 6k miles on it. I traded the Altima in for the Bug that I have now and I have no regrets on that decision and if I had a chance to do it all over again I would've never even got the Altima, but again nobody's perfect. I think it's totally uncool to come here with all that hate posing as facts when in actuality that individual is just unhappy for some reason and decide to pick a battle with anybody. If you wanna hate do it somewhere else because this is an enthusiast site, and I myself am a enthusiast. Now that I'm done with all this ranting I'll go back to the topic at hand I think swapping a non-VW engine is possible if you have the funds for it. That's all to each his own.:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think we can all agree that anything mechanical and iron has a much higher possibility of longevity than anything electronic and plastic. And then there's the access and simplicity of a pre 1975 engine. You've got plenty of validation of this fact on YouTube channels, like RoadKill, and others, where they've gone and done basic CPR on a pre 1975 vehicle that's been sitting for ten or twenty or thirty years in a junkyard and gotten it running. Hell, they even turn over before any actual work. That isn't going to happen with these newer vehicles. They're crap. And they're crap because of our industrial revolution rewind into a service industry instead of manufacturing. It's intentional wear to float the economy. Period.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts