VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002, with the 4 speed automatic transmission and the 2.0 in my GLS. When I got the car it had been really maintenance neglected. Synthetic oil looked like mud, synthetic transmission fluid was also "well used" And it needed some other small items. CKS that I changed during my oil change and it eliminated 3 of 4 codes (last being some catalyst code.) So on to it, my question being as I have never really read a transmission temp in my 40 years of having cars. What would be say a normal temp for the transmission fluid? I drive varied speeds and road conditions so even an honest approximation? This is my second new beetle, my first being a 98 and I think I like this one a touch more. I did like that my 98 had the manual transmission. Also, airbag light is on? I know the previous owners had hit a deer, but the bags didn't deploy. Anywhere I should start looking for that one? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I don't know what "normal" would be; maybe others, can tell you what they see. Based upon the Bentley manual; for the fluid change, the temp must get to a certain point, I would assume, this would "operating temperature":

FLUID LEVEL CHECKING PROCEDURE
Now start the car and go into the transmissions data blocks under transmission with
your VAG-Com and go to block 005, this will display fluid temp.
-ATF temperature not above approx. 30C (86F)
-Vehicle level
-Selector lever in "P"
-If ATF is below 30C (86F) bring the ATF up to test temperature.
Test temperature: 35C to 45 (95 to 113F)
-Remove ATF level plug from oil pan.

https://www.google.com/search?q=01M...rome..69i57.8926j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As for the airbag light; you need a VW compatible scan tool, to see what the trouble code is. The most common airbag light related problem; is the drivers side belt buckle (failed wiring and bad microswitches). The airbag trouble codes; will tell you the specific area that the problem is and you can go from there.

For a VW specific scan tool; you might look at a VAG 401 on the low end ($50) on amazon and the Ross Tech VCDS ($250-$350).

The cheaper generic obd II scan tools; I don't know, if they are capable of reading the trans temps, maybe others can chime in on typical trans temps and what scan tools can see this info.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
"Normal" automatic transmission temperature is typically right around the engine operating temperature.

Keep in mind a few things.

1. Most automatic transmission are cooled by a heat exchanger in the radiator.

2. Most automatic transmission heat exchangers are located in the cold side of the radiator.

3. Most engine temperatures are measured at the water output of the engine, so the engine temperature is measured before the coolant temperature is dropped in the radiator.

4. Automatic transmission temperatures can increase quickly due to heavy torque converter slip.

But to answer your question, typical automatic transmission fluid temperature are around 180-200F.

But out of interest, why is this question being asked?

What is the issue you are dealing with?

If this has to do with transmission fluid level checks, typically the recommendation is right around 100F to make a consistent expansion of the fluid and to avoid burning the person checking the fluid.

Usually 120F is considered scalding, so between 100-110F is usually where the temperature is recommended for checking the fluid level.

The fluid does not need to be right on a specific temperature, in absence of something to read and display the transmission fluid temperature or an IR thermometer, I use the palm of my hand and see if I can keep my hand on the transmission pan for 15 seconds without a problem, this is usually close enough in temperature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no real issue per say

Just asking about operating temp because as I stated back in the day..we didn't have access to all these neat things (obd II readers) to monitor all these temps. My trans temp was at the highest around 217f but hovered more so around just clearing 200, and I figured that would be about normal knowing it should be close to the coolant temp, which ran consistently between 194-198. I am changing the oil and trans fluid and filter again in about 2000 more miles just to help clean up what was ran by the previous owner (the neglector)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts