NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that we have a new place to call home at the org, It kinda made me feel a bit nostalgic. Looking back at the good old 'org' days. "Gee the old LaSalle ran great"!!:D

Anyhoo, this all brought to mind some of the things that fondly take me back to my youth and thinking on those things that now, seem nostalgic. Even things that we've even heard those older ones mention. Like Diner cars on the highway....Slices of nostalga/Americana that we would like to experience for ourselves or just to pause for a moment and soak in the joys of your youth and growing up.

So, chime in with some brief titbids (short attention span theatre version)of nostalga and americana that you remember or would like to recapture.

Of course you've heard mine...
Find a diner car cafe and have a meal

Nostalgic memory.
Dad in the garage tinkering with stuff while listening to a ball game on an AM radio.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Well, I got in the Way Back Machine, and came up with The Jacksonville Bulls football team, and watching The Muphett Show, Welcome Back Carter, Benny Hill, and Land of the Lost with my dad.

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Oh my gosh! I had a wave of nostalgia last week.

On the way home from work, surfing for something on my Sirius, I saw channel 14, Classic Vinyl, Peter Frampton. I clicked on it. It was the beginning of "Do You Feel Like We Do", the long live version. Oh my gosh. I turned it up, and lived my teenage years over. All I could think about was the smell of strawberry Lip Smackers, and a primer-gray '55 Chevy. I sat in my car in the driveway, until the song ended, and when it did, I felt so good! :warmfuzi:

I am old enough to actually remember milk delivery (in glass bottles!:eek: )

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
I have lots of flash-back worthy moments. Going back 2-3 years, driving my 73 beetle to the drive-in (directly linked to seeing Herbie Fully Loaded in Charlie), camping with my parents when i was a child, and baseball games that i didn't want to play and coming home to a house of left over floral arrangements that mom didn't want to throw out from her sister-in-law's last wedding!

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
My fondest memories of my childhood were always around Christmas time. All 7 of us, Mom, Dad and my sister and 3 brothers would all pile into the car and go and pick out our Christmas tree. Us kids would fight over who's turn it was this year to pick it out. Then we'd go home and dad would take it outside and saw it to death until it looked like the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. LOL Then he'd put it in the stand and we would all decorate it. Usually the tree ended up with more decorations on one side than the other. The of course we'd all fight again about who got to put the angel on top of it.
There's an old German tradition that we also followed. The night before Christmas we would all leave a shoe on the windowsill in the kitchen and in the morning we would find a small toy in there. The other one we followed was my mom would hang a glass pickle somewhere hidden on the tree on Christmas eve after we went to bed. Whoever found it after we woke up to open our presents got a special present.

The German Christmas Pickle Ornaments Story.
The German glass pickle ornaments are considered a special
Christmas in Germany decoration by many families where the Christmas
tree was decorated on Christmas eve.

The glass Christmas pickle ornament is always the last glass
ornament to be hung on the Christmas tree. The parents hide the glass
pickle ornament in the Christmas tree among the other German
glass ornaments. When the children were allowed to view the
Christmas tree they would begin gleefully searching for the
German glass pickle ornament. The children knew that whoever found
the glass pickle ornament first would receive an extra little gift and
would be the one to begin the unwrapping of the Christmas gifts.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Xl5

Alan From NYC said:
Thunderbirds (or Supercar, or Fireball XL5) are go!
Alan, you are absolutely the only other person that remembers Fireball XL5! Now I know how old you are. It was so cool, and you hardly noticed they were marionettes. Then comes the 'World Police' movie, and it's the same thing!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Bugmonkey said:
Ran into this list a few years ago. It can make you feel old.
http://www.beloit.edu/~pubaff/mindset/
Wow... I was born in 83 and there are things on this list I was not aware of (lime Time Life and Warner Communications being one).. I knew Phillip Morris didn't always own Kraft. I remember when Digital Cameras came on the market, I waited two years and did 6 lawns to buy one. Yikes... the very last item on the list about not being able to determine if they are watching the news or entertainment on TV is so horribly true. I wondered what happened to the world .... we got so soft so fast. I never knew anyone with a bumpin stereo till I was a sophmore in high school, I've never really had the luxury (till now) to take my new car to a mechanic, and I certainly remember when Pixar hit the scene. Amazing what 4 years difference makes. I admit that I can't proclaim to be old, but I do certainly feel dated.. I have a lot of admiration to all the members out there whose memories and thoughts exceed mine in years -- how I wish I had your insight!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts