VW Beetle Forum banner

Not starting right away after getting gas

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  emilybrooke 
#1 ·
The last two times I have gotten gas, may car won't start right away, takes like 20 mintues after to crank over. It started a couple of weeks ago, my gas cap light came on so I took that off and on again, light went off. Then a couple of days later, I got gas and my car wouldn't start for a little bit, but seemed fine once it started. Then a couple of days after that my check engine light came on. I just parked it for a couple of weeks and decided to start it today. It had a really bad gassy smell when I first started it, but seemed to go away after I let it run. Went to get gas and the same thing happened today. Just wondering what it might be before I take it in. Would a bad gas cap cause this or maybe fuel pump?

#3 ·
I fill mine ALL the way to the top, right up in the neck where I can see it. No problem. This was discussed in length about two months ago, something to do with the vapor recovery system I believe. Do some advanced thread searching (simply "gas" won't work, four letters min required) or perhaps someone will be along. I'll see if I can find it.

MORAV

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thanks for the update, let us know if this, in fact, resolves the problem!

M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.