VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replaced the 409 relay fuel pump. The fuel pump itself also did the crank sensor. Got original vw parts so as to not have any issues and am getting no where. The pump primes when you open the door but no power after that. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
What year New Beetle and what brand and part number, was the fuel pump? So, just to be clear; the fuel pump relay and and fuel pump, are genuine vw parts?

If the fuel pump comes on; after the door is open, I would assume you are getting power to the fuel pump. I would check the other basics; fuel pressure and spark. Are you getting spark? Remove a spark plug; connect it to the spark plug wire and ground it on the engine. Have someone turn the engine over for you and observe; whether or not, there is spark at the electrode of the spark plug. If there is; then, I would be checking the fuel pump pressure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't have the part numbers on me. Yeah I checked spark it was good on the one cylinder I checked. The relay I can feel click when I turn the key. Just not sure why it's not sending power to the pump. Checked it with a multimeter while cranking it over. Haven't done the filter but with no pressure at the pump wasn't concerned with that just yet

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, here are the service manual pages; to start testing according to the manual:

Volkswagen Workshop Manuals > New Beetle GLS L4-2.0L (AZG) (2002) > Maintenance > Tune-up and Engine Performance Checks > Fuel Pressure > System Information > Specifications > Pressure, Vacuum and Temperature Specifications

If the car; died and stopped running, you might check the timing marks and make sure the timing belt didn't get damaged or jump timing:

http://workshop-manuals.com/volkswa...nt_information/service_and_repair/procedures/

Tell us more; about the history of the car and how you got to the no start condition, you are experiencing now. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Not 100% sure the tach will move on these cars when the engine is cranking but not starting.

Check to see if the tach is moving, might be a crank sensor problem or as mentioned maybe a timing belt broke?

Most OBDII tools will display the cranking RPM when the engine does not start. Most engines crank at around 150-160 RPM.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll check rpm while cranking. Going to try the cam sensor as well. Idk frustrated with this thing. Will prime then nothing

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Back into this bug... found out after extensive fuel chasing that I have no spark. Ok I changed the coil. The old one had a melted spot... still no spark... any suggestions. Getting exhausted with this thing

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Check fuses and check to see if there is power to the coil.

Almost all ECU's control the ground side of the circuit, so things like injectors and coils usually have 12 Volts to the hot side of the component.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jfoj not sure what you are speaking of doing here. I checked all the fuses. Am I to be checking for power without the fuse in place. And if so which ones?2

1 - 14 of 14 Posts