NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ozzmosys
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:eek:

This BUG never ceases to amaze me. Don't get me wrong but it continues to amaze me as to it's "Come Back To The Dealer Service Department" antics!

I still have the "who cares" light (Check Engine) coming on and then going off routinely. This car only has 42K miles on it and it's an '01! ;)

Then, the drivers side headlight died. Now this was one interesting CF (Charlie Foxtrot for you Vets out there) and after a mere 2 hours of labor over a #$%^ed bulb, it was good again. :mad:

After that, at 34K miles, the rear brake pads went out. Let me tell you folks that it would be a wise move to buy the "tool" before venturing into this PITA chore! VW wanted $350 for that op, I did it for about $22. :p

Now I've got a high temp alert in the car. After a few minutes, it goes away. I checked the level in the over-spillage thing today and it was a tad low.

I'll add some fresh distilled water to it after it cools overnight. If that don't fix it, I'll replace the sensor with a the "green" after-market sensor I've seen.

Do these cars ever stop having "odd things" occur to them???

:cool:

Regards to all!

Ozz~
United States Navy, Retired
And Proud to Have Served...

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Eh... not really. :) The distilled water will solve it for a long while I bet.

Alot of what you've mentioned is things I've heard time and time again. Just try to keep pace, and make things easier as you go (lube the light assemblies, get the brake tool, etc)

·
Ozzmosys
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For noR...

:)

Well, that appears to have fixed that glitch. I measured < .25 cups of water and that made her happy!

:eek:

I often wonder if VW engineered "PITA" in to these quick little beasts...

Thanks for the comments!

:cool:

Ozz~
United States Navy, Retired
And Proud to Have Served...

·
Registered
111 Posts
how the hell did it take you 2 hours to change the headlight bulb? :confused: It doesn't sound to me like you've had a damn thing go seriously wrong yet. Call the car a pain in the ass once your clutch goes or you have a serious issue.. So far I've replaced my clutch, water pump, timing belt, turbo, etc (the water pump was the only emergency of them all) and I still don't think the car is a pain in the ass. Its a machine, made of parts. Parts fail, its a fact of life. Even if you ride a bike for the rest of your life you'll still have to put the chain back on every now and then when it falls off.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that if this were the 60's, by now you'd have had 4 tune ups, had to reset the ignition points several times, adjust the carburetor weekly, etc... Be thankful that technology has come as far as it has. As to your check engine light, again its probably something simple and stupid, like a cracked vacuum hose or something. It amazes me how people think little stuff like this is such a big deal. If you never want to fix your car, than i advise you get used to walking. :D

·
Performance Freak
137 Posts
Well it took me a good hour to remove my headlight the first time because the damn ring broke. So I had to get creative to release the assembly and get a new ring from the dealer.

And yeah, I was able to do the other one in maybe 15 minutes because I knew what would break and how to avoid it.
It was still not an "easy" task, but with the cramped engine bay, nothing is.

These are normal things, nothing to be worked up about.
The mistake is going to the dealer for every little thing.
They'll take all your money if you let them, or you can fix things yourself and learn about your quirky car as you go.
As any mechanic will tell you, simple things can turn into 2 hour battles with broken bolts or things that just don't want to come loose as they should.
Doesn't matter what kind of car, it can happen.

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Porkchop said:
It was low on coolant. That's not a glitch. It's a warning system.

Yup. Zoomer did that to me a while back. Temp light came on ... turned the car off ... turned it on a while later ... no light ... drove it IMMEDIATLY to the dealer ... they added coolant! Im glad Zoomer has the warning light. If not ... I would have no bug. :p hehe

·
&#8592;Blue or Purple?
147 Posts
I just went to the dealer a last week for my 40,000mi checkup. Main reason was to get my DTC's checked out. As I haven't made the investment yet on getting the software yet to check it myself.

the dealership was trying to treat my car for sporadic problems. Although they do need to be looked at, it was working at the time and was prolley some faulty sensor.
One was a faulty turbo diverter valve error. it maybe on it's way out or just dirty!

At any rate neither justfy totally replacing the parts and spending the extra $350 to fix and replace that the dealership wants. Nope sirey! I'll make that call and prolley fix it myself!

Oh and my temp sensor was bad to. But it was working at the time. I say dirty connection. as the fluid was fine. I'm a do it yourself type of guy. And I'll do whatever I need to to keep my Blumax runnin.

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
Scarab_Beetle is exactly correct, vehicles are in a constant state of wear hince things will wear out eventually, this process can be speeded up by improper maintenance and abuse.

People of today have demanded all these luxuries and electronics and with this comes a greater level of required care to keep things working properly, most car owners are lazy and cheap and these are the people that account for the majority of complaining and whining about even the smallest failures or break downs, what they don't stop to realize is that their laziness and poor maintenance habbits are likely the direct cause of many of the problems they encounter.

Brake light switches, headlight bulbs, cluthes, brake pads, sensors and switches etc. all eventually fail or wear out regardless of what car you own, it just so happens that VW/Audi has a diagnostic design in place that is more prone to reveal smaller difficiencies than many other brand automobiles.

I prefer this because I would rather be alerted if "ANYTHING" is wrong no matter how seemingly insignificant, I have two late model 1.8t's 2000 & 2005 in my garage and I don't have all these problems some of you complain about, or maybe it's my mindset in understanding that something like a switch or bulb failing is extremely minor, inevitable and cannot be construed as an indication of a problematic or poorly designed vehicle.

For those of you that this applies to, you might consider changing your perspective and stop viewing the warning lights as a nuisance and instead see them for what they really are, an attempt to alert you that something is wrong in an effort to help you avoid a potentially more serious and costly repair should the initial symptom go unchecked.

Question: Would you prefer that they remove all warning indicators so that your only warning of a problem is when your $8,000 engine blows up from something that could have been caught had these system monitoring warning lights been in place?.... Because that would be the alternative.

Parts makeup these cars and many of these parts are not even made by the actual car manufacturer, a single part can fail causing a chain reaction of failures in other parts which can often result in catastrophe.

VW/Audi's can many times seem to some as if the CEL or other warning lights are illuminating too much, one reason for this is because VW/Audi has a complex diagnostic system in place that is designed to drastically minimize the possibility of this chain reaction parts failure that I mentioned earlier, this is sort of a redundency that is in place to reduce the chances of serious and costly damage from occuring.

In most cases with a VW/Audi, you can't say you weren't warned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts