NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Rita rushing on shore, all the oil refineries have shut down in the area. That can mean only one thing. Fuel prices are going to spike all over the country for a second time this month.
Try hard not to look too smug while filling up at the service station when the SUV next to you just paid $100 to fill up his tank with gas. Make no mistake, the $40 it costs to fill your tank hurts, but not as much as a gasser.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hehe...yes indeed. Prices had gone up bigtime here in Europe, so now it's about 60USD to fill her up with diesel. But I still do twice as many kilometers with that 60USD than my petrol-propelled NewBeetle friends ( which are hardly around here ).

If the price stays high long enough, our wages will be adapted to cope with it, so...no biggy.:)

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad I have a TDI. Have no ill feelings toward anyone that has another vehicle type.
Sometimes I wonder about folks that fight for people to have the sexual orientation they want yet are biggoted toward peoples choice of vehicle orientation. Makes no sense to me.

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Fuel...

Just makes me wish I could have found another 5speed TDI before they went crazy in value. I have found that I can now sell my 99 TDI with 150K miles for more than I paid for it 80k miles ago....

Keep on smokin'

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
mgwerks said:
Just makes me wish I could have found another 5speed TDI before they went crazy in value. I have found that I can now sell my 99 TDI with 150K miles for more than I paid for it 80k miles ago....

Keep on smokin'

I have no doubt I could sell my 2000 5-speed TDI with 69k on the ticker for way more than the 10,300 I originally paid for it two years ago. even with the custom non factory paint and no foglights and steelies...

but I wouldnt dream of it. not for anything... except maybe a passat TDI wagon :p

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Eeyore said:
even with the custom non factory paint and no foglights and steelies...
I don't know, man, those wheels look really strange...

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Eeyore said:
shoosh you ...:runnethov

bent your rear axle eh? how hard was that to fix?
huh? it was bent when that guy T-boned me, but the ins. replaced it all. They never said a word about the lift kit....

I still don't think I've seen more than 4 sets of those wheels - including the ones I see every day, of course...

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
I'm on my fifth year of TDI bliss, and as gas prices skyrocket, it's getting better every day :rolleyes:

My father, whom I convinced to trade in the family hauler for a Passat TDI last year, has crunched the numbers and figured that, figuring for the $2.85 per gallon we're paying for diesel in Miami these days, his Passat saves $135 per month in fuel over the previous car.

I don't care what my Beetle saves me over, say, a {shiver} Civic Coupe or Focus ZX3, or, the other little retro car {MINI Cooper}, but the fact that with gas prices as high as they are, I still drive with the A/C and without a worry {and still stop only once a month at the fueling pump} boy oh boy, that's golden!

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
ASurroca said:
{and still stop only once a month at the fueling pump} boy oh boy, that's golden!
I hate you. :p I fill Phahom every week (but then again I do 70-80 miles a day). I need to steal Mateka more often. :p

-Des

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I fill up about once every 10 days or so...but then again, that takes me 750-800 miles. With my 2.0, I was visiting twice a week. :(

I'm never going back to gas. :)

·
DIESL PWR
354 Posts
I only drive to school and to work, so I drive like 120 miles a week. :bigthumb:

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
ASurroca said:
I only drive to school and to work, so I drive like 120 miles a week. :bigthumb:
I used to do that a day. Good thing I love the open road...traffic is only a minor annoyance to me. :)

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
The Cheat said:
I fill up about once every 10 days or so...but then again, that takes me 750-800 miles. With my 2.0, I was visiting twice a week. :(

I'm never going back to gas. :)
How the heck do you get over 750 miles on a single tank? The best I've been able to manage is 632.

And yes, I do LOVE my TDI :)

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
I vent like a champ and obey the limits. :) Except on the highway, I keep it to 55-60. The NB has dropped my insurance by 30%...maybe also because I haven't gotten a ticket for speeding yet. "knocks on wood"

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
The Cheat said:
I vent like a champ and obey the limits. :) Except on the highway, I keep it to 55-60. The NB has dropped my insurance by 30%...maybe also because I haven't gotten a ticket for speeding yet. "knocks on wood"
Do you do a lot of highway driving? Mine is mostly 35 mph, give or take 10. And what about tire inflation? I read on TDICLUB that some folks run the pressure a bit high to get beter mileage.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
boblamb58 said:
How the heck do you get over 750 miles on a single tank? The best I've been able to manage is 632.

And yes, I do LOVE my TDI :)
I only get 500-550 on a vented tank, but I have an automatic transmission.

I think there's something wrong with the guage or the tank or something, though. Since I've had my TDI for 2 years, I've had this problem. I can run and run and run after the light comes on (and that gawdawful loud beep that startles me EVERY time). I even ran out of diesel once, and while I put in a gallon while trying to start it, the pump STILL always stops at no more than 12.5 gallons. (Sometimes less, of course, if the light just came on or is just about to.) (And the time I ran out, I should have had 40 miles or so left in the tank--my attempts to get it restarted are documented on the old forum.)

So, I've done some semi-scentific research--like using the same pump every time, and running the same amount of miles before I refuel. But still, the pump stops at no more than 12.5 no matter what pump I use and how long I've run in the red zone on the guage. It's weird.

So sometimesI've gone so long in the red zone that I have the panicky feeling I'll run out if I have to go up a steep hill or something (usually when I'm travelling in an unfamiliar place and I can't find a diesel station), and it still only fills up to 12.5. I have thought of running the tank completely out to see what happens, but that's no fun to get it started again, and I don't want to risk my fuel pump.

However, when I vent the tank, I always force at least 14 gallons in, and on my last trip to Vermont I got in 15 gallons on a fill-up or two. Thus, I only go 500-550 on a vented tank, and that 550 is well into the red zone.

It's as if my tank *doesn't* hold 14.8 gallons like it says in the book. Like there's a brick in there taking up room or something.

Any thoughts?

Karen

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Tuckervill said:
I only get 500-550 on a vented tank, but I have an automatic transmission.

I think there's something wrong with the guage or the tank or something, though. Since I've had my TDI for 2 years, I've had this problem. I can run and run and run after the light comes on (and that gawdawful loud beep that startles me EVERY time). I even ran out of diesel once, and while I put in a gallon while trying to start it, the pump STILL always stops at no more than 12.5 gallons. (Sometimes less, of course, if the light just came on or is just about to.) (And the time I ran out, I should have had 40 miles or so left in the tank--my attempts to get it restarted are documented on the old forum.)

So, I've done some semi-scentific research--like using the same pump every time, and running the same amount of miles before I refuel. But still, the pump stops at no more than 12.5 no matter what pump I use and how long I've run in the red zone on the guage. It's weird.

So sometimesI've gone so long in the red zone that I have the panicky feeling I'll run out if I have to go up a steep hill or something (usually when I'm travelling in an unfamiliar place and I can't find a diesel station), and it still only fills up to 12.5. I have thought of running the tank completely out to see what happens, but that's no fun to get it started again, and I don't want to risk my fuel pump.

However, when I vent the tank, I always force at least 14 gallons in, and on my last trip to Vermont I got in 15 gallons on a fill-up or two. Thus, I only go 500-550 on a vented tank, and that 550 is well into the red zone.

It's as if my tank *doesn't* hold 14.8 gallons like it says in the book. Like there's a brick in there taking up room or something.

Any thoughts?

Karen
That just isn't right. While venting, I have put 16.5 gallons in the car. That's good for at least 750 miles per tank. any chance your tank is dented underneath, reducing the volume?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts