VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Fuel...

Just makes me wish I could have found another 5speed TDI before they went crazy in value. I have found that I can now sell my 99 TDI with 150K miles for more than I paid for it 80k miles ago....

Keep on smokin'

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Eeyore said:
shoosh you ...:runnethov

bent your rear axle eh? how hard was that to fix?
huh? it was bent when that guy T-boned me, but the ins. replaced it all. They never said a word about the lift kit....

I still don't think I've seen more than 4 sets of those wheels - including the ones I see every day, of course...

·
Cherchez la coeur...
977 Posts
Tuckervill said:
I only get 500-550 on a vented tank, but I have an automatic transmission.

I think there's something wrong with the guage or the tank or something, though. Since I've had my TDI for 2 years, I've had this problem. I can run and run and run after the light comes on (and that gawdawful loud beep that startles me EVERY time). I even ran out of diesel once, and while I put in a gallon while trying to start it, the pump STILL always stops at no more than 12.5 gallons. (Sometimes less, of course, if the light just came on or is just about to.) (And the time I ran out, I should have had 40 miles or so left in the tank--my attempts to get it restarted are documented on the old forum.)

So, I've done some semi-scentific research--like using the same pump every time, and running the same amount of miles before I refuel. But still, the pump stops at no more than 12.5 no matter what pump I use and how long I've run in the red zone on the guage. It's weird.

So sometimesI've gone so long in the red zone that I have the panicky feeling I'll run out if I have to go up a steep hill or something (usually when I'm travelling in an unfamiliar place and I can't find a diesel station), and it still only fills up to 12.5. I have thought of running the tank completely out to see what happens, but that's no fun to get it started again, and I don't want to risk my fuel pump.

However, when I vent the tank, I always force at least 14 gallons in, and on my last trip to Vermont I got in 15 gallons on a fill-up or two. Thus, I only go 500-550 on a vented tank, and that 550 is well into the red zone.

It's as if my tank *doesn't* hold 14.8 gallons like it says in the book. Like there's a brick in there taking up room or something.

Any thoughts?

Karen
That just isn't right. While venting, I have put 16.5 gallons in the car. That's good for at least 750 miles per tank. any chance your tank is dented underneath, reducing the volume?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.