VW Beetle Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wife is driving the TDI instead of her van

My '98 TDI is normally my "winter" car (drive a Miata or '74 Vette Convertible the rest of the year) but with these gas prices it was put into service for the wife who usually drives a Dodge Grand Caravan which only gets about 16MPG around town. We're regreting having to go back to the van once the snow starts! Even switching to B20 a while ago it gets about 45MPG around town (just short trips). We took it up to the U.P. of Michigan from Chicago and got 49.5 avg' about 70/75 MPH most of the time ... for three people its OK but try to get four and its tight. I've had mine since new but its still just getting broken in (just past 50K miles). Looking forward to the low sulpher diesel fuel next year but the biodiesel is not bad for now (a lot less smoke than regular diesel ... by the way a few weeks back "premium" diesel in the U.P. was $2.66 when it was already over $3 in Chicago)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
The pain should ease in a few weeks as those refineries come back on line.
So, why did the cost here in Cali jump? We have our own special formula, and the supply is not from the Gulf. Can we say greed?
It just means one more trip to the ATM in the morning on the way home from work.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Why is diesel more expensive? Partly due to marketing, and other factors (greed?).

1. You get less gallons of diesel out of a barrel of crude oil than you get gasoline.
2. This is the time of year they are diverting fuel to the home heating oil market.
3. Ramping up for the winter blends of diesel.
4. We are starting to pay for the ULSD conversion at the refineries.
5. Refineries still down in the Gulf region.
6. Major refineries have units down for yearly maintenance.
7. Pass through of the cost of crude oil.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.