VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
No NB Yellow Trifecta :(
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, whom ever put the whammy on me can stop as I have more now than I can handle! :banghead:

Well I cannot shift Valdez into reverse and it is probably that plastic shift lever on the transmission; which is only available from the dealer. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I will not be able to look into any of my other two (1, 2) repair issues.

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts

·
overwhelmed/underpaid
3,319 Posts
d2, try tightening up the 13mm nut, it does work loose. an early mk4 came to me today with no 5th, and a simple tightening worked well for them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
D2, you need to do a cleansing of the bug gremlins. First you need to burn some sage and hop around your car backwards in a counter clockwise circle on your go pedal foot. Gremlins like SPAM, so you must remove any and all traces of it from your house but you can't throw it away it must be given as a gift to someone with a psychic connection to either Oprah Winfrey or Goats. If you don't have SPAM you might try looking for any signs of snufalump droppings.

·
Jitterbug
1,086 Posts
Ok, whom ever put the whammy on me can stop as I have more now than I can handle! :banghead:

Well I cannot shift Valdez into reverse and it is probably that plastic shift lever on the transmission; which is only available from the dealer. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain tomorrow so I will not be able to look into any of my other two (1, 2) repair issues.
No suggestions from me as I don't know the auto but can you swap bits between your NBs to keep at least one running in both directions??? Bad Juju....have some hot chocolate :) and a stiff whisky :):)

·
50% OLD (o\_l_/o) School
1,432 Posts
D2, you need to do a cleansing of the bug gremlins. First you need to burn some sage and hop around your car backwards in a counter clockwise circle on your go pedal foot. Gremlins like SPAM, so you must remove any and all traces of it from your house but you can't throw it away it must be given as a gift to someone with a psychic connection to either Oprah Winfrey or Goats. If you don't have SPAM you might try looking for any signs of snufalump droppings.
..also.. put a Mandrake under the passenger seat on the driver's side with the legs pointing to the right rear tire. That should do the trick!

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
:rotfl:...

Thanks for all the suggestions; I was going to take the one off of Cowboy and use his, thank to DZLBUG they are available online this time. This Valdez's second time breaking that lever.

I cannot wait to go hunting for snufalumpaguses.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well I took a look at the shifter lever yesterday after the rain stopped and The Cheat was right, the nut was loose. Unfortunately I did not know exactly where to set it on the adjustable slide so I set it in the middle and tightened it down.

Here are the DIY steps...

Step One: [VNR DIY 001] Remove the engine cover; Bolts, 1, 2 and 3. For those NB's that have a SAP, disconnect air box hose, connections 4 and 5.

Step Two: [VNR DIY 002 and 003] Disconnect the air box intake tube from the intake manifold, connection 6 and the MAF sensor, connection 7. You should use the locking pliers on the air box tube clamp as it will make it easier to put it back it on when the time comes. The MAF sensor connector release is on the underside and you need a flat head screw driver to release it.

Step Three: [VNR DIY 004, 006 and 007] Remove the air box, screws 1, 2 and 3. Screws 2 and 3 are not meant to come out; they are designed to rise and release, but stay in place. Only screw 1 is to be removed. It will take some twist and pull effort on your part to get the air box cover out. Remove bolts 4 and 5 to get the lower part of the air box out.

Step Four: [VNR DIY 008] Yellow circle 1 is the plastic lever and green circle 2 is the nut that I had to tighten. This lever is adjustable; I put it in the middle and tightened it down. When you try to tighten the nut it will move the lever toward you, so it is necessary to put something in the way to prevent lever movement. I choose to use a broken oil stick tube as I did not want to bend anything by adding to much torque.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello my plastic shift carrier of broken off not even there anymore ,was looking to see how do you change this and how it attaches to the cables ,I never done this ,so if you can give a hand I'll appreciated ..thanks

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Hello my plastic shift carrier of broken off not even there anymore ,was looking to see how do you change this and how it attaches to the cables ,I never done this ,so if you can give a hand I'll appreciated ..thanks
I have changed the one on my '98 once. It is not hard to, but it will require two people to put the new one in. Be sure and take pictures where the current adjustment nut is located so you put it back in the same place or you will spend way to much time adjusting it.

You can use these instructions to get to the step of replacement; which from looking at the last photo is where I stopped. #1 is the shift lever and #2 is the nut that connects the lever to the shift linkage. Remove the nut and you can remove the broken pieces of the shift lever. You will need someone to hold the shift linkage while you remove nut; mine was torqued down really good.

Be sure and lubricate the new shift lever with grease, not oil, before you put it in and again someone will need to hold the shift linkage while you tighten nut back down.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Be sure and take pictures where the current adjustment nut is located so you put it back in the same place or you will spend way to much time adjusting it.
Thanks but my carrier is not even there anymore no nut nothing just a tiny piece of plastic hanging on ,so I got nothing to go by.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,453 Posts
I just had mine break. Stupid plastic parts. I still had 3rd, 4th, and neutral though. I had the shop replace it but I at least had those gears so it was a relatively easy fix, only an hour and he said he didn't need to really adjust it at all. My dad was able to have me shift and place the linkage where it needed to go to get it into a gear for one use to get it the car on a trailer and towed to the shop. Although the nut was still on and everything, the plastic piece just broke off.

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Yes I do ....same problem just shifting between 3rd and 4th and neutral .
What I can do this weekend is add the photos that show you how to actually replace the carrier shift lever. Seeing how that is what I created this thread for in the first place.

Attachments

·
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
OK, here are the steps to actually replace the shift carrier lever. Remember this part requires two people; unless you are a really talented DIY'er. As you loosen and tighten on the two remaining nuts, the shifter cables are going to move and you need to ensure they do not without breaking them.

Pic 009 Shows you the shift carrier lever as should be; the numbers coincide with IPB pic above.

Step Five: [VNR DIY 010] Lets remove the bolt labeled "B", which will disconnect the lower shift cable; this is a stud bolt and it comprises of the bolt, washer and a nut. By moving balance lever "A" to your left it will expose the bolt (13mm). Be careful and do not lose the washer "B1"; the nut "B2" is inside the slide housing and I suggest that you remove it. Because you will be moving this lever to get the old carrier out and putting the new carrier in and you do not want the nut fall out. If you lose this nut, you will be :scared: SOL! :eek:hnoes:

Step Six: [VNR DIY 009] To release the upper shift cable look at pics 016 and 018. The top portion of the lever is supposed to be flexible; the idea is to left up on the very end just enough to slide the shift cable connector off of the carrier lever. After wards remove nut #14.

Step Seven: [VNR DIY 011 thru 13] Pic 011 shows you the pieces that you should have, the carrier lever, the carrier lever bracket and the "B" stud. Pic 012 shows you what the shift carrier looks like installed noting the #18 tube where the #17 o-rings slide into; Also, but not seen in pic 009 is the lever bracket guide #13. You need to ensure that "D" is properly positioned in #13 or the bracket will bend and snap the lower portion of the lever breaking it. Pic 013 shows you what your shift cables look like without the shift carrier lever.

Step Eight: [VNR DIY 014 thru 018] Before you install the new shift carrier lever the lower half of it must be lubricated; pic 014 shows you the amount of grease (DO NOT USE OIL) I used and pic 015 shows you how I spread it around. Pic 016 shows you how to bend the top of the lever to connect/disconnect the upper shift cable. Pic 017 shows you how to install the new lever; do not forget to check that #13 and "D" are properly aligned. It will take some slight movement to work the o-rings #17 into the #18 tube. Refer to pic 012, to be sure that you have it installed correctly. Pic 018 shows you how to reconnect the upper shift cable.

Step Nine: Reinstall the "B" bolt and you are done! With the motor off, have someone go through all the gears twice while you watch the movement. If it all looks OK, put the rest of it back together and take it for a test drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
i changed the linkage, i still dont have reverse and first gear...allthe other gears are working. The cables looks loose. ANy ideas? Today I suppose to sell the car and it is not working.:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.