NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( About two months ago, my impellar on my water pump broke leading to a warped engine head, blown head gasket and I ended up having those replaced/reshaped and replacing the pump (with a metal impellar this time) and the timing components.

Well-this weekend I started my car (it was 41 degrees outside) and the red temp light came on and flashed/beeped. I later started the car, the blue regular temp light came on and I let her idle for several minutes to warm up. I drove her home (a 2 1/2 hr drive) with no problems. I drove around everywhere Sunday and Monday...no problems...the temps were in the 50's and Monday it rained all day.

THIS MORNING the freking red light flashes and beeps at me again as soon as I started her-so I shut her off and drove my boyfriends Camry to work!!!!

What could this possibly be now? Why would I be having coolant/temp problems now?!! Is it a sensor? Is it something left over from the $1400 job I just had done? I am EXTREMELY frustrated and I'm getting ready to trade her in on a boring, but non-alarming Honda or Toyota!!!!!!!! She has 43,000 miles and has been very well maintained. I am at the point of really starting to hate this car and I don't want to!!!

Help! Thanks!
Terri

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Have you checked the coolant level? It might not be full.

And since you did say it's not constant, but sporadic, it very well could be only a spazzing sensor.

-Des

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am hoping it will be something simple, but at the same time, I just had coolant put in when the new water pump etc. was replaced, so to me that would mean the mechanic who did the work didn't fill it up all the way or there is some sort of leak if the coolant level is really low...and that just frustrates me even more! Sorry to rant, but thanks for your help. My boyfriend id going to take a look at it today, even though he doesn't want to touch it. He's a mechanic as a hobby, but is against doing pretty much anything to my bug because of how specific they are.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
midnightluna said:
I am hoping it will be something simple, but at the same time, I just had coolant put in when the new water pump etc. was replaced, so to me that would mean the mechanic who did the work didn't fill it up all the way or there is some sort of leak if the coolant level is really low...and that just frustrates me even more!
Not necessarily. There could have been an air bubble that has "burped" and that made the level a little lower. It doesn't take much for the sensor to say it is low....

Also, all cars "use" a little coolant - even with a closed system there is some evaporation. I have to add some every year or so.. not much, just a little.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering about that too.

I am just sad, frustrated and disappointed. I really love my car, but I travel 35 miles each way to work and I DJ all over my state and it's just alarming to have had this car only since March 3 and have had one major problem with it already and now this. Any thing makes me jumpy and I feel like I can't depend on it...which is a horrible feeling.

·
wheeeeeee!
95 Posts
mine did that too once, it was just low on coolant. there was no way for it to possibly be overheated since i had just started it in the morning after it had sat all night. added a little coolant and its been fine since (this was like mid-summer-ish) good luck!

·
bitten by the bug
22 Posts
Just a warning....if you have a turbo, have it inspected well. Mine was leaking coolant...from the cracked turbo housing. hopefully you won't have that problem...just beware!:D

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
Kris1.8T said:
Just a warning....if you have a turbo, have it inspected well. Mine was leaking coolant...from the cracked turbo housing. hopefully you won't have that problem...just beware!:D
Yikes, I seem to be leaking some coolant after we did my timing belt and water pump maintenance. I hope I don't have that problem. I have just been carrying some premixed coolant in the car and checking the level frequently. I'm hoping it's just a hose somewhere, maybe that we didn't reconnect very well.

Anyways, the coolant will take some time to work it's way into all parts of the system. It would do some "burping" as Porkchop says. Even after a good mechanic filled it. (They probably should have told you to expect this though.)

Could also be the spazzy temp sensor like Des said. Thats a cheap easy fix, not really related to the water pump job.

I hope you get it all worked out OK. These cars are too much fun to not be enjoying.

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
I'm curious as to what year your Bug is? If it's relatively new and only 43,000 miles, the water pump impellar would be covered under warranty. Even if it's older, I'm surprised it's not covered under the powertrain warranty...the older cars had a 10 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty.

·
2TIMEBUGMAN
35 Posts
coolant light issues.......

More then likely the other members could be right on the low coolant theory. Dealerships and mechanics often fill the coolant after servicing the vehcile by filling with the car off and the cold. This should be done with the car running till it warms upo enough to open the thermostat and flow the coolant through the radiator/hoses/head/block. Check the level.

Also remember that if they "reshaped" your head then they actually "milled" it, which is taking surface area from the head to rid the head of deformities/cracks. Doing this raises the compression of the engine and on smaller engines, usually lowers the the life span of the engine. Milling an aluminum head on a small displacement engine not only raises compression, but usually operating temperaturs as well. This can sometimes be remedied by using a thicker head gasket, but all in all that is a temporary fix. Also, if it is a Turbo and they did not use a thicker gasket to offset the milled surface area of the head and the compression is raised....then you have bigger problems as you are then upping the compression by a decent amount due to the turbo, which is the opposite of what you want in a daily. Most guys building engines for their hot rods, which will have a Turbo put in low compression slugs (pistons) as it is not recommended to put a Turbo on a high compression engine.

Future reference...new heads for small motors not a "fixed" head. You boyfriend would probably agree, assuming he is a "motorhead-backyard-mechanic" like me with some shop experience. Also check that the shop that did this work magnafluxed the head checking for cracks that cannot be seen by the eye. You may have a crack in the head that cannot be seen.

I have built up everything from 65 Mustangs with 200ci straight sixes to big block BOP Pontiacs to two seperate Hyundai Tiburons (one 99 FX with a killer 2.0 and one 03 GT V6 with some decent bolt ons to air cooled VW Bugs and now water cooled. I'm just a car nut. It's not the car....it's the mechanic. Try someone else. See what happens and hope that the dealer/mechanic that reworked your head did not damage your ride.

Anywho...............good luck......hope this helped a little. :eek:

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Chhhrist, I've never changed the coolant and have never added any in the 5 years I've owned "Stinger"....never have flushed the brake lines, changed out the trans axle oil or even checked it for that matter....gonna be a busy boy come spring time!!! Always go buy the motto of : If it ain't broke, dont fix it"...well "Stinger" has never had a major problem since I've owned her...other then oil changes and checking hoses..etc..etc...Guess I've been blessed.:rolleyes:

·
2TIMEBUGMAN
35 Posts
NEVER HANGED THE TRANS FLUID DESPITE WHAT YOU ARE TOLD BY A SHOP UNLESS THEY ACTUALLY DRAIN THE FLUID. ALOT OF SHPS "SUCK" THE FLUID OUT, WHICH IS BAD. THIS CAN BREAK SEALS AND CAUSE OTHER DAMAGE. DON'T BOTHER DRAINING BRAKE LINES....NO NEED. CHANGING THE COOLANT IS GOOD THOUGH, JUST MAKE SURE THEY DO A COMPLETE FLUSH OF THE SYSTEM.

KEY THINGS:

PLUGS AND WIRES ONCE A YEAR

AIR FILTER EVERY SIX MONTHS (TO BE SAFE--THEY ARE CHEAP)

OIL & FILTER EVERY 3k

LUBE EVERY 3k

ALL ELSE IS GOOD. TAKE IT AS IT COMES!!!!!:)

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
Check your coolant reservoir sensor plug attachment and also the level of coolant USE ONLY G12 Coolant!!!

Just for the sake of comparison my wifes minivan developed a crack in the radiator so I went to the stealer and was quoted 612 for the ordeal and 267 for the radiator 16 for the thermostat so I said what the hell I have the manual and the tech manual also all the tools in the world...

After 5 hours I changed th ewhole thing another BIG PITA, but yeah having a bad coolant system can drive you nuts....

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts