NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my other pride and joy. It's a 1972 Super Beetle done in the "German Look" style. If you don't know what that means, then check out www.germanlook.com. In short, it means any air-cooled VW that has been "updated" with modern wheels, suspension, power, cosmetics, etc. Some of these cars can cruise the autobahn at 120MPH and sport horsepower numbers over 4 times the stock power of a 1600cc engine from, well, a 1972 Super Beetle :)

17x7 and 8.5" OEM Boxster wheels with 205-40-17 and 245-45-17 Nitto NT-555 tires

Front suspension: Topline MaXX struts, 5x130 disks drilled and slotted, 3/8" spacer, 7/8" swaybar. Struts are set at 2 1/2" lower than stock, but with the 205-40's, it sits more like 3.25" lower.

Rear suspension: Adjustable spring plates and 3/4" swaybar waiting to go in, new shocks waiting to go in, 5x130 drums and 1" spacer.

Body Mods: Shaved chrome, New beetle side markers and 3rd brake light. New Beetle "360 modena" wing, OEM accessory hood scoop, Fuba antenna with S2000 mast, 1 1/4" wider fiberglass rear fenders. Carbon fiber bumpers and Kamei air dam wiating to go on. Color is Vortex Blue, yet another nod to the New Beetle.

Interior: Scat/Procar "rave" seats in black vinyl, Porsche 914 and VDO gauges. Blue carbon fiber gauge panels and trim. Rear seat to be deleted.

Engine: Stock 1600cc T1 with dual weber 40mm IDF carbs, 1 3/8" header into a 2.5" "phatboy" magnaflow muffler. Bosch 009 distributor with Comp-u-fire ignition. Bosch blue coil.

Planning a BIG Type 4 engine with around 250 HP for the future, as well as Porsche brakes all around, as well as a color change and some other "secret" mods ;)

I think that about covers it.

·
Feel the Power!
302 Posts
:eek:

Gorgeous!

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Awesome, awesome, awesome. And I'm still going in the German-look direction on the Square - thanks for the great link!

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll have to find some more pics. It's been a while since I've actually done anything with this car due to school/job/New Beetle, so I've stalled out :( Currenty it doesn't look so good. The paint bubbled, the interior is shot from what I call a "Winter storage mishap", and I needed to rebuild the carbs and install a new shroud. It should come back home in the spring and finally live beside the New Beetle.

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
Sweetness, I've got a 72 Super too. But mine looks well..... a little different. I'm in the process of giving my 1302 a vintage rally look it, mixed in with a little Cal-Look.

Attachments

·
MkV Pilot
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Herbie3Rivers said:
I'm in the process of giving my 1302 a vintage rally look it, mixed in with a little Cal-Look.
If you're going for a rally look, then get a pair of driving lights. You know, the big ones that mount to the bumper. I LOVE driving lights like those. Some Minilite-type wheels would be cool, also!

·
Some say............
1,665 Posts
I'm saving up for a set of original Carello driving lights(same type Herbie had in Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo). Haven't fully decided on wheels yet. I'm leaning towards having a set of stock wheels widened to 15x6, then maybe throw on a set of redline tires. I've got a slew of vintage goodies I've been storing away for my 72.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts