NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
:::smiles and nods:::
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through some of the other threads, but didn't see my exact problem. Hubby left last year, and normally handled what I call "boy stuff", so I'm totally at a loss and need help pretty please :)

Here's some info on the car and my problem:
I have a 2001 GLS with 39,714 miles on it. Haven't done the forty thou thing yet, and it is 300 miles from next oil change.

Right after Katrina hit, I of course, was low on gas and needed to fill up. Because of the scare, I waited a couple of days longer than I normally would have to fill up because of the lines. Right after that, I started having trouble getting the car cranked. It made the noise like it was trying, but took a few tries before it did. When it finally cranked, I smelled some gas, even though I was careful not to hit the gas while trying to crank it because I was trying not to flood it. (No idea what it means, I just know it's not good, and was trying not to do so). Someone suggested I may have gotten dirty or watered down gas because of Katrina and to try Fuel Injector cleaner. That suggestion worked like a charm until today.

At lunch, I tried to crank it and it made the noise again, and took forever to crank. Had the gas smell again, but went away just as quickly as it came. Once it cranked, had no problems driving. I am about 150 miles in to a tank of gas.

This afternoon, it cranked up first try, but was loud! Usually you can't hear it - or at least not like this. Sounded kind of sputtery, so I hit the gas real quick, and it revved up like the pedal was stuck. (It wasn't - I put my foot underneath to test) Finally, it came back down, and again, no problems while driving.

Any ideas? I'm scared to take it to a mechanic without at least an opinion or two, because I don't want to be ripped off. Other than this, I've not had any problems (knock on wood). Oh... and during the first incident, during the Katrina time, my check engine light was on for a bit, but went off, and hasn't been back on since.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
First thought that comes to mind is a dirty throttle body. Without the DTC codes, hard to tell. The codes should still be stored in the computer. If you could get them read, it would help.

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, the problem didn't happen in the morning, this time nor any of the others. It was around noon for lunch, and it's been unseasonally warm here. It was happening everytime I tried to crank right after Katrina hit, but that stopped after I got the Fuel Injector cleaner. Yesterday was the first time it happened since then.

It cranked fine today, but there was one time while at a light, it revved up really high for a sec, but went back down.

At present, check engine light still isn't on.

Thanks for all/any help :)

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Okay, so the problem only occurs when the engine's starting hot. (it doesn't really cool down unless it sits for 'bout 7 hrs)

So when Katrina hit you, did you get anything specific? Any sort of flooding or high water? I assume the car was just sitting the whole time.

·
Beetle Cup racer
567 Posts
I am thinking of 3 things.

As Des said, Fuel filter.
Have your injectors cleaned in a shop, a simple add on on the gas tank is never enough for bad soot deposit.
Check your throttle maybe it is dirty and gets stuck, it has happened to me twice, when that hapens it never starts in the first try, you have to double or triple crank the bug...

Best regards

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
noR said:
Okay, so the problem only occurs when the engine's starting hot. (it doesn't really cool down unless it sits for 'bout 7 hrs)

So when Katrina hit you, did you get anything specific? Any sort of flooding or high water? I assume the car was just sitting the whole time.
I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. I am in Georgia, so we didn't get hit, we just had "the gas scare". Everyone thought we were going to run out, so everyone went to get gas, and some stations did. I didn't fill up for a couple days after that, so that is why people were thinking I got stuff from the "bottom of the well".

It hasn't done it again since the other day when I posted :)::knock on wood::: ) so I can't really give an "always" example. It seems random, but then again, I know zilch about cars :(

It is time for an oil change, so I will see if I can find a place that can do all of the things y'all suggested.

Thanks so much for all of your help :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts