VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From what I have been reading on this site I am confident that my Beetle is in need of a new 02 sensor. Now I understand there is 2 of these sensors. So how do I determine wich one needs to be replaced?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Are you getting any codes? What exactly is going on with the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Havn't checked for codes yet. Has all the synptons. Black soot coming from tailpipe, horrible fuel consumption, rough idle. Just making an educated guess for now.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Seafoam

From what I have been reading on this site I am confident that my Beetle is in need of a new 02 sensor. Now I understand there is 2 of these sensors. So how do I determine wich one needs to be replaced?
Seafoam that poppy and see if that clears up the system. I would since you got nothing to lose by trying and it could fix all sorts of issues especially if it's got a bunch of soot coming out the tailpipe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seafoam that poppy and see if that clears up the system. I would since you got nothing to lose by trying and it could fix all sorts of issues especially if it's got a bunch of soot coming out the tailpipe.
Seafoam? Will that actually work? which sensor should I start with? Manifold or Catalytic?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
I'd get your car scanned for codes. Any auto parts store will do it for free. Its hard to really say whats going on without the codes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I second getting it scanned for codes, preferably a VAG scanner. Dumping something like Seafoam into the car without knowing exactly what is wrong does not sound like a good idea to me.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
sure

Seafoam? Will that actually work? which sensor should I start with? Manifold or Catalytic?
This will do both the catalytic and the manifold and the O2 sensors....basically the whole system after the intake throttle.
It did wonders for my car a year ago and haven't had emissions system errors ever since. You let the system suck it in through the small pipe that's mounted on top of the throttle valve(yellow arrow in this picture) don't remove the big intake hose though. let it suck only about 4-5 ounces a little at a time with a tapered clear hose. There is a really cool video on utube that shows you those steps for a 1.8t MKIV. That small hose go's to the EVAP system and so your car will throw a few error codes while you're doing the cleaning but don't worry they'll clear later once you drive it for a while after the cleaning. Good luck man

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This will do both the catalytic and the manifold and the O2 sensors....basically the whole system after the intake throttle.
It did wonders for my car a year ago and haven't had emissions system errors ever since. You let the system suck it in through the small pipe that's mounted on top of the throttle valve(yellow arrow in this picture) don't remove the big intake hose though. let it suck only about 4-5 ounces a little at a time with a tapered clear hose. There is a really cool video on utube that shows you those steps for a 1.8t MKIV. That small hose go's to the EVAP system and so your car will throw a few error codes while you're doing the cleaning but don't worry they'll clear later once you drive it for a while after the cleaning. Good luck man
Awesome! Thank you. Only thing, doesn't look like my Beetle. But I think I understand what you're saying.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
seafoam

Awesome! Thank you. Only thing, doesn't look like my Beetle. But I think I understand what you're saying.
I believe that picture is for a 1.8t engine like mine so you might want to google how to seafoam the 2.0 new beetle. Good luck man.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts