NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my bug into a VW dealership this morning. The Check Engine Light has been on for over a month, but haven't been able to take it in to get it checked until today. :eek: When I started it (which took almost 15 minutes to warm up, but it was -24C/-11F outside) there was a lot of exhaust fumes - which I'm still a little dizzy from it later in the day.

So, my exhaust is leaking and that doesn't cost much to fix. I can handle that. But the reason for the CEL is something to do with the O2 sensor. Now, I don't understand much of this, so maybe someone can clarify it for me. I was also told that this can be fixed, but it could also cost 2 to 3 times more if it comes apart (something about a catalyst and threads?).

It worries me that it could cost twice as much; that would almost equal to half of what I paid for the Beetle. Any more and it would almost be time to trade her in after only owning her for less than a year.

If anyone can elaborate on what this means, that would be really appreciated.
 

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
Joined
·
2,802 Posts
First...stay away from a stealership. They will suck you dry. Meaning your wallet. Find a good exhaust shop in your area. They will fix you up at a fraction of the cost. Call around first. You know what you are talking about. Going in with a little knowledge will save a lot of coin.
 

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
Joined
·
2,802 Posts
if you take a car to a dealership to replace a cat your lookin over a $1000. Take it to a exhaust shop...$250 to $350. Ya see were I'm headin with this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
553 Posts
I brought my bug into a VW dealership this morning. The Check Engine Light has been on for over a month, but haven't been able to take it in to get it checked until today. :eek: When I started it (which took almost 15 minutes to warm up, but it was -24C/-11F outside) there was a lot of exhaust fumes - which I'm still a little dizzy from it later in the day.

So, my exhaust is leaking and that doesn't cost much to fix. I can handle that. But the reason for the CEL is something to do with the O2 sensor. Now, I don't understand much of this, so maybe someone can clarify it for me. I was also told that this can be fixed, but it could also cost 2 to 3 times more if it comes apart (something about a catalyst and threads?).

It worries me that it could cost twice as much; that would almost equal to half of what I paid for the Beetle. Any more and it would almost be time to trade her in after only owning her for less than a year.

If anyone can elaborate on what this means, that would be really appreciated.
Get the exhaust fixed first. if you have a leak infront of the o2 sensor it will cause a lean reading. Fix the exhaust then clear codes. run for a while see if code comes back.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top