NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 1.8ltr turbo Convertalbe automatic Neetle and need some hep. I've had the motor completely rebuilt and it's back in the car but now throwing the OBD2 code P0341. Everything points to the cam sensor being bad but I've replaced that and the code still comes back. The machine shop and the mechanic that are doing the work are stumped. Both have noticed the cam gear marks are not lined up correctly. One make should be lined up with the point or tooth of one gear and the other should be lined up with a valley of the gear between two of the teeth. It appears to have slipped or turned on the camshaft somehow. Is this a common issue? There doesn't appear to be a key or a notch to keep it in place. I'm being told that there is supposed to be 17 spaces on the timing belt from one notch to the other. They can only get it to be 16 or 18 the was the gears are set currently.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

·
Owner of Puffy
144 Posts
i wonder if someone lined the cams up wrong, that would throw a code because the cam sensor will be out of range.
the 1.8 has the extra chain on the back of the cams that also has to be lined up.
the only way it would is if someone did the tensioner wrong and the belt is loose.

·
Registered
11,822 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts