VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all...2nd post, Yeah! Bought a 2008 Beetle S for my daughter this weekend and I am finding little things that befuddle me with this kraut!

I have several of those Bluetooth OBD II gizmos and I use the Torque Pro app for Android with them and they have always served me well. I have used them in domestic vehicles only so far and I plugged it in last night to find no RPMS like I am used to seeing but I could see the ECU spitting them out as well as a few other things not coming from the usual places.

Is there a different spec for these than the standard OBD II ?

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
I don't know, which wireless OBD II dongles you have but I have used a older ELM 327 WiFi on my Apple iPhone with Torque and OBDFusion with decent results. The data pids, are typical but some are not supported. If you are doing more indepth diagnostics; it helps to have a VW specific scanner, that can pull codes from all the modules on the car, do live data, programming, specific VW type things like a throttle body alignment and many other types of things, testing, etc.

If you are up for possibly upgrading to a factory level scan tool; VCDS by Ross Tech is ($199), OBDEleven is ($65-$99 with sub yearly) and then, there are many Chinese knocks offs, in the ($30-$150+ range).

Tell us your budget and how deep you want to go with diag with your VW.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts