NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New to this forum stuff but, I am going crazy here, lol. 98 VW beetle 2.0. Lost communications through the OBD. Brought it to get inspected and was told the port was dead. My son put an aftermarket radio in and the whip he purchased with it does eliminate the K-line wire but voltage between the 4 and 7 pin was reading +12 volts. I learned that is bad and was told, that even though his new harness eliminates that wire, that the k-line still needed to be cut behind the black plug coming from the cars harness. In doing that, the voltage between 4 and 7 is now around 8.35, which I was told is where it should be. My hand-held scanner still won't link to it though, where it did link before, at an earlier date, before the new radio. My worry is that the shop still won't be able to link either, therefore not passing inspection again. Checked every fuse in the car. All good. Put a new throttle body in about a month ago and had the system re adapted/realigned. I'm worried if I do the battery cable trick, that I will need to have it adapted again and would prefer not having to if I don't have to. Anyone have any ideas or solutions???? Thanks!

·
Registered
327 Posts
There are two 7.5v fuses in the fuse panel. Both are in the upper section of smaller fuses. If you have no power to the obd port one of those two fuses is bad.

Position number 12. However I see on my notes that is for 04/99 forward. Worth checking again anyway. Even though the position may be different I think it should still be a 7.5v and there are only 2 of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Swapped out fuses but, no. Do you think the "touching the battery cables together" trick is worth a try?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Can’t hurt to try. Sorry to hear it didn’t work. Is it possible that a previous owner hooked his code reader up and knackered the port? Maybe a close inspection looking for damaged slots or damaged pins on your reader.

·
Registered
11,408 Posts
You may have already seen this but thought I would post this anyway.

You might just pull the stereo and get the scanner/obd II port to work and then try to start adding things, recheck your wiring and head unit/stereo install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts