NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2002 New Beetle Turbo S (all stock)
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with my 02 Turbo S (all stock, no aftermarket radio). Drove it yesterday to go get groceries and then when I came out and went to start the car, the odometer faded out and the car got no power. So I removed the battery and had it checked. 12.5 volts, good charge. Put battery back in, the car starts and drives now. But the OBD port no longer has connection and the radio says SAFE. I have checked all fuses, they are good. I have 13.1 volts between pin 4 and 7 on the OBD connector. Is this a K Line issue? and how hard/expensive is this going to be. I'm partially disabled and don't have alot of funds to solve this with.

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
562 Posts
Specifically check fuse #12 it’s in the upper section of fuses and it’s a 7.5 v fuse there are only a couple of them in the panel. That fuse supplies power to the obd port.

If you have 13.1v with the car running your alternator is dying. Having the battery checked is good, 12.5 v is a fairly healthy battery, but I always question the ability and knowledge of these teenage auto parts store people.

It sounds like you have a multimeter. Check your battery with the car not running sitting in your driveway and then start the car and check again what voltage is present at the posts on your battery. Have a helper start your car while you have the multimeter on the battery posts and see how low the voltage drops during the starting process. Let us know those three figures.

The radio says safe because you removed the battery. It’s a theft deterrent. Check in the back of your owners manual for a 4 digit radio code.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So here's the update.
Checked fuse #12, good. Replaced anyways.
Car off / Key off battery @ 12.38volts
While starting 10.98 volts
Running @ battery/alt 14.4 volts (car cold)
Running @ battery/alt 14.38 volts (car warm)

Took car for a drive, to check the voltage while driving (seems to stay at normal, 13.8 -14.4), now mysteriously while it was running the OBD port and radio have returned to normal.
I'm confused?

Thanks,
Jay

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
Seeing how the obd ii port is working; scan for trouble codes and post them in this thread. What scan tool are you using?

It sounds like you may have a intermittent electrical issue; scanning for codes, might give you some clues, as to the source of the problem. Charging and ground problems, can cause all kinds of bizarre problems, all of the onboard computers freak out, when they do not have adequate power.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I agree with Billy, intermittent is hard to find and car computers don’t like their voltage upset.

12.3 on you battery with car off key off is approaching marginal. At 12.2 a new battery is in the near future. Or rather 12.2 is often good for the warmer summer months. Once cold weather hits a new one is not far behind.

There are several grounds under the battery tray, which could be cleaned up and might help, of course it involves removal of the battery and the tray it sits in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only can tools I have are just a basic one and a Scan Gauge 2 (which is almost always connected). No codes came up, but I'm sure that's because my stuff is basic. Once I get a bit of nicer weather I'll have to pull the battery and clean all the grounds up. I do agree with the battery tho; the wonderful people at my local Autozone (sarcasm) were trying to tell me it will be fine.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,130 Posts
In the future, you should consider getting a vw specific scan tool; unique vw factory trouble codes, can pop up and sometimes, give you some clues to what maybe going on, while a typical scan tool will not be able to access on the control modules on the car. VCDS by ross tech and Obdeleven; are the most common vw scan tool, there are many cheap Chinese knockoffs as well (ebay, amazon, etc).

While you running voltages, seem to be in the normal range; dropping by a auto parts store, for a free full charging system test, couldn't hurt either.

Here is a good video; going over common faults and charging tests to perform, on these pesky vw's (charge harness, fuse boxes, ground wires, etc):

1 - 8 of 8 Posts