NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cant seem to get my obd cable to talk with my beetle. The cable is new, so it cant be that, the laptop doesnt have any software that is specifically for the cable. the software i do have tells me there is an error with the interface. and the only thing that could be considered a problem with the car that i can think of would be the aftermarket radio that is installed. I am going to check out the radio issue tomorrow, but any insight into how this process works would really be helpful. Does the software matter? is there a generic program that can be used? I am just trying to clear a CEL light and if at all possible the airbag light( unless there really is a problem with the airbag) Thanks for looking and assisting!

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Are you saying you have no software installed on your computer?

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the computer is fine, there isnt any official software that works with the cable. i have something i downloaded from the website that the cable suggested going to, but it doesnt really work with it. Somewhere during the process of connecting the computer to the car, it says there is an interface issue.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,968 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket stereo?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
there should be a test button in the option of the software. you need to make sure the usb driver is installed. if it is all good, but the software can't see the cable, you might have a bad cable. If the software sees the cable, try it on another car.

those cheap cables don't come with software and aren't guaranteed to work with the software you download. That's why they're $20-$50 instead of $250.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts

·
5/23/10 <3
10,968 Posts

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well i plan on checking the situation with the aftermarket stereo but i dont believe that is the issue.. if i have read the threads clearly, im assuming that if there was a problem, that hooking it up would have sent flags up letting me know something really went wrong. (such as a short) however nothing happened when i foolishly tried. the software i was using just said the interface was missing. The laptop im using operates on windows 7, the software that came with the cheap cable had setups for all windows except 7 so i figured i would try with an older laptop. Also ive come under the impression that using the ross-tech software that is free could possibly work with the cheap cable. is there any reason that the fully licensed software wouldnt work with the cheap cable? or is there any record of what version of the software has been working with the cheaper cables? im assuming the cables are essentially the same, with perhaps a few modifications. i honestly just wanted to clear the CEL, but diving into this has me feeling like a detective.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
yo can try the vcds lite software. it should include the usb driver you're probably missing. there is no point on buying the license for an unlicensed cable, because like i said above, there is no guarantee that it will work, and nothing ross-tech can do if you don't use their cable.

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, I had concluded that interface in regards to this topic means the cable being used. (didnt know that) making the initial error i received extremely confusing. i will try this VCDS-lite version asap. ross-tech seems to be comfortable with the idea of their software working with 3rd party interfaces so im going to give them the benefit of the doubt. im also assuming their lite version will allow me to clear this CEL or at least get some information on it. I'd like to point out that while this has been frustrating, i have learned a few good points that will help me optimize my bug. for example while the ross-tech interface is expensive, it is guaranteed to work with the software which is supposedly impressive, as opposed to these lousy cheap cables that are so readily available for the amateur repairman. i have also learned that the air-bag light is probably something i should look into, probably involves the harness under the seat or is in the seatbelt buckle mechanism and the lite version will not help me with that. All the more reason to invest in their product. and lastly, of those who have replied, i have seen you all reply to almost everybody whose ever had a problem on these threads i have looked at. for this, you each get +50 internet points. and my appreciation.

TL/DR : Thanks, ill keep you updated, and i hope this thread helps someone that finds themselves in my boat.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have one lead that ONLY works with the software included & doesn't work with Vista & 7 and another one that DOES work with Win 7 and VCDS Lite. Also check what port numbers your laptop uses, I had to re-number mine to work.

Kate

·
Seems Logical.
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to conclude my input on this thread, I used my cheap cable, and VCDS lite from ross-tech and managed to clear the CEL. on my windows 7 machine. The aftermarket radio wasnt a problem like i suspected, however i took the necessary steps to keep it out of the equation. Thanks again for the help and support! i hope one day i can afford to get one of those fancy cables like everyone else.

·
Registered
762 Posts
great. are you able to see the airbag module?
i never got a definite answer of the cheap cables can do that
If you are able get a cheap interface to work correctly with the VCDS-Lite software, here is what you can do:

Ross-Tech: VCDS: Function Table

Note that VCDS-Lite is for serial port interfaces, not USB interfaces. Cheap USB interfaces are really serial port interfaces with built in USB adapters, something not supported by Ross Tech:

Ross-Tech: FAQ Page 1

A lot of people have gotten the cheap China cables to work and made good use of VCDS-Lite. A lot of people have found that cheap cables made in China are... well, a cheap cable made in Chine and can't get them to work. Buyer beware. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have a cheap made in China USB version that works fine. Actually Ross-Tech make a USB lead themselves too, I was looking at it on their stand at SEMA (Or AAPEX) a couple of weeks ago!!

Kate

1 - 16 of 16 Posts