NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New to the forum... Just purchased a 99 beetle with about 100k on it. Needed a clutch and so i did that replacement myself. Was a pain but managed to do it :). anyway i took the bug in to the local shop to have it inspected and the guy said that his computer wouldnt communicate with the car. He also tried plugging in his hand held scanner and it also wouldnt communicate...just gave a generic no communication error. Car runs/drives fine, the only indication of a problem is that the airbag light is on. the previous owner said that a mechanic cleared the code 6 months ago and it just came back on(yeah right). the obdII connector under the dash is broken from its mounts so i was able to snake it up and out the side above the fuse block and found a couple wires have been cut and reconnected. i re-cut and soldered and heat shrinked them to make sure they werent causing a problem. I did check that there is power at pin 16 and ground at pin 4. Any suggestions on "typical" problems or somewhere to start on how to fix this?

thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
665 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Success! Today i took the bug over to the I/M station again and voila, communicated and passed the test! So glad this was a simple fix and I was able to do it. :D.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
clutch

Not to throw this thread off topic but I am interested in how you did the clutch? Did you do that by yourself or did you have a few helpers? I am contemplating doing mine or just get rid of the car for good.(ADIOS BEETLE) Too expensive to pay somebody else for that job especially on a high mileage (185k) beetle. let me know when u get a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts