NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, someone body-checked the passenger side mirror on my '98. There was no paint damage or scratches and the motor, etc. all still works. However, the plastic housing came loose, and I figured something had probably come apart, or broken. I finally took it to a local repair shop who I trusted to dig in and see if it could be repaired. Fortunately, it can be fixed by canibalizing another mirror assembly. Here's the bad part. The local dealer said that there were only a couple of assemblies available, that they would have to locate one and that it was now an OBSOLETE PART!:( It makes me sad to think that if it happens again, I could be SOL. We're actually using a parted assembly from a local recycler. Makes me wonder if I should locate another one and store it for an emergency. Anyway, my point is that my beloved BLU F O will be 16 in January and I hate to think of there being a point in the not too distant future where I won't be able to get a needed part. FYI, I finally turned 100,000 earlier this year and he is running like a top. I love my bug!:D

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
That is scary. If you've read any of my other posts, I'm banking on New Beetles and 21st Century Beetles becoming just as classic as the old air-cooled Bugs in time, except in smaller numbers. I can understand that 16 years out, a factory will discontinue some parts, but it's up to aftermarket suppliers to fill this void.

It's interesting that I just happened to stumble onto this post, because I just finished reading replies to an MSN article predicting what cars of today will be classics 20 years from now in 2033. Although the GTI made the author's list, no water-cooled Beetles did, and as I made a comment about that, I was ridiculed by the "Buy American, Muscle cars rule" types. Whatever. When they dissed me, I in turn labeled them as ********. :D

But....many there, regardless of what models or makes of car they felt should be on this hypothetical list of future classics, claimed that because of today's onboard computers, no cars of today will be even be around in 20 years. I disagree. The software may indeed change, but I'd like to think that it will be comparable to something like removing the points and rotors from an old air-cooled Bug and replacing them with electronic ignition. With average new car prices hovering around $30,000 today, there's no way enthusiasts or even the general public will settle for planned obsolescence.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm with you. I like to think that in another 20 years someone will think that our water bugs are cool. I don't believe car makers today believe there are people like us who actually plan on keeping a car past 10-15 years. Hmmm... Maybe it's time to start hoarding those soon to be obsoletes. It's probably going to be the plastic stuff that will be hard to find. Plastic: isn't it wonderful? (Not!) To add insult to injury, there a re some parts for my 69 Squareback that are pretty much unobtanium too.

·
Back in Black
79 Posts
I don't know about the computers in cars, but plastic parts should be a piece of cake in the near future.

We have 3d printers that can reproduce just about anything and their prices are dropping. In 20 years, everyone will have one and you could probably just download the part specs and print!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts