NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Mambo King
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new Beetle requires 91 or better octane, I have been filling it with 93 since I got it from the dealer which I think it was full with 87 octane since they have only one pump on the lot. The salesman told me some people choose mid grade due to the cost. I'm averaging 27 mpg back roads and I'm happy with it, I don't use the highway to go to work since I live "in the woods" but I have a few days off next week and will take a road trip so I will see if I get at least 30 mpg.
What do you use..and would you bother with the 91 or better or look the other way and fill it with 87,just curious.
BTW there is a gas station that if you have their gas card they knock of 0.10 cents per gallon which is what I do...thanks for reading

·
Mambo King
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The 1.8T is designed to run on 93 octane premium. I get that in non-ethanol whenever possible.
So that's been the type of fuel going back a few years, wow, I thought the 2012 and newer 2.0's Turbo where the only ones.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
So that's been the type of fuel going back a few years, wow, I thought the 2012 and newer 2.0's Turbo where the only ones.
Yup....my 2000 GLX called for the premium juice.
Thats all I will run in my TS.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
Guess I'm looking the other way. I use 87 in my 1.8T. I was going by the tag on the inside of the gas flap though. That's what it said to use. I tried filling up with 93 a couple of times when I was on empty and using someone else's card (with their permission of course). It really didn't make a difference either way. I get 17-19 mpg on really short city driving no matter which fuel I used. I didn't notice a change in performance either.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
hard to notice while driving, but the knock sensor sure notices. It will then adjust the timing accordingly. Pre-detonation can cause a lot of damage if not kept in check. Our cars have two knock sensors to monitor this. Do your buggie a favor, use the good stuff.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
Guess I'm looking the other way. I use 87 in my 1.8T. I was going by the tag on the inside of the gas flap though. That's what it said to use.
You're either mis-reading that sticker or it has the wrong sticker or flap. Post a pic for us. Also, the correct spec is 91, and it should state that in your owner's manual.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Guess I'm looking the other way. I use 87 in my 1.8T. I was going by the tag on the inside of the gas flap though. That's what it said to use. I tried filling up with 93 a couple of times when I was on empty and using someone else's card (with their permission of course). It really didn't make a difference either way. I get 17-19 mpg on really short city driving no matter which fuel I used. I didn't notice a change in performance either.
If it says 87 Octane on your gas flap than your gas flap has been changed out. All 1.8 Turbo engines always need to use 91 Octane or better. No exceptions! Sure, you can use lower octane gas and pray that your knock sensors will retard the timing and richen your fuel mixture which will result in reduced performance and lower gas mileage which really defeats the purpose of using lower octane gasoline!

No wonder you are getting 17-19 mpg city. YIKES. My Chevy V-8 gets more than that. My 2000 1.8 gets right around 25-26 MPG average which is mostly city driving. I can get easily 30mpg or more highway and straight city probably right at 24mpg.
If you are getting 17mpg there is something wrong besides using low octance gas.

Either way you can put in the cheap stuff and pay for engine repairs later or put in the VW recommended 91+ Octane and have better performance and if nothing else peace of mind! :cool:

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
hard to notice while driving, but the knock sensor sure notices. It will then adjust the timing accordingly. Pre-detonation can cause a lot of damage if not kept in check. Our cars have two knock sensors to monitor this. Do your buggie a favor, use the good stuff.
AMEN Preignition or Detonation is like taking a Sledgehammer to the top of your pistons. You may not notice it but your pistons sure will. Just pray those knock sensors keep working. Luckily they never go out just like anything electrical on the VW Beetle :rolleyes:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I run 91 or higher. Around here, its 93. I've filled up with 92 before but never 91. I would never put 87 in my car. Yes, its cheaper, but I want to treat my car right and have it last a long time. I don't mind spending a little extra on it. Besides, I'll be tuning it soon. Might get the Stage 1+ which is optimized for 93 :)

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
How many miles on your 20th Jess? I ask because I want to do a tune this spring on my TS. My only fear is I have heard of a few people with over 100k that the extra power increase will toast the stock clutch in short time. So I am planning doing the tune, replacing the clutch and then throw in a set of Raxles.
Lookin to go stage 2 so I want my drive train somewhat bulletproof.
Now if I could only figure out my exhaust set-up.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I'll have to snap a pic when I get a chance. At work right now. I only used it because I thought t said to and because nothing changed when I tried the other. I'm getting ready to get a plug in for my lighter so I can use my new toy to get some real time numbers and figure out what's going on with my mileage besides gas.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I'll have to snap a pic when I get a chance. At work right now. I only used it because I thought t said to and because nothing changed when I tried the other. I'm getting ready to get a plug in for my lighter so I can use my new toy to get some real time numbers and figure out what's going on with my mileage besides gas.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
You may not notice much of a difference in gas but your engine will. I bet whoever owned the car prior to you changed out the fuel flap from another beetle and that's why it says to use 87 Octane gas. I agree that using Premium Fuel in a car that doesn't need it is a waste of money but using lower Octane gas in a car that requires it is just as bad since over time not only is the performance and mileage degraded but it could also cause engine damage especially if the knock sensors fail. 17-18 mpg is pretty low gas mileage for the 1.8. Have you scanned the car for codes yet? I would check the spark plugs and see what they look like. Also check for any vacuum leaks. Was the car upgraded by the previous owner? Perhaps a tune in which he swapped out the FPR from a 3 Bar to a 4 BAR Fuel Pressure regulator? Then switched off the tune to sell it or trade it in leaving the 4 Bar FPR in place which is wasting fuel? Just speculation on my part but I had the same issue with an Audi TT 1.8 that I purchased. It had a 4Bar installed and the factory called for a 3Bar FPR. That engine was running way rich and was wasting gas. Switched it back to a 3Bar and all was good with the world. ;)
Not saying that is the case in your situation but I would still scan the ECM for any stored codes.

You really should be getting 22 minimum city and about 28 Highway. About 25mpg would be a pretty normal average. Sometime in this cold crappy weather probably a little less.
The least average I ever had in my beetle was 24.6 mpg and that is because I let it warm up a couple of minutes before heading out on a cold day ;) In warmer climates you don't have to worry about that sort of thing ;)

·
Mambo King
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like I mentioned before, some super markets here in MA have something going on w/ gas stations, today I paid for the price of regular gas using their card, now also noticed I'm getting 28 mpg back roads..can't wait until next few days that I have off.."road trip"...:D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Like I mentioned before, some super markets here in MA have something going on w/ gas stations, today I paid for the price of regular gas using their card, now also noticed I'm getting 28 mpg back roads..can't wait until next few days that I have off.."road trip"...:D
Kroger has that deal here in Indiana. You can save up to 2 Dollars per Gallon if you spend $2000 dollars in Groceries :D
Or Gift Cards ;)
For each 100 Dollars spend you get 10 cents off a Gallon. Rickers BP Gas Stations also have a 10cents off per Gallon if you get their Discount Card which links to your checking account.
Overall if you think about it premium gas is only about 20 to 25 Cents a Gallon more. I never let my gas tank to get totally dry and most of the time I never put more than perhaps 10-11 Gallons in there when I fill up. That is little over 2 bucks per fill up. These days that doesn't even buy you a cup of coffee. I think your car is worth the couple of extra bucks a week not to worry about the engine self destructing ;)

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
How many miles on your 20th Jess? I ask because I want to do a tune this spring on my TS. My only fear is I have heard of a few people with over 100k that the extra power increase will toast the stock clutch in short time. So I am planning doing the tune, replacing the clutch and then throw in a set of Raxles.
Lookin to go stage 2 so I want my drive train somewhat bulletproof.
Now if I could only figure out my exhaust set-up.
I have almost 125k on the car. Clutch still feels solid but I'll be prepared to replace the clutch sometime after the tune if I end up needing it. I also have a new 007 DV to install, as well as a 3" downpipe so I should get some extra pep :) Excited for the extra power, but hoping to be able to keep myself in check enough to help the mpgs a bit :p

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
You may not notice much of a difference in gas but your engine will. I bet whoever owned the car prior to you changed out the fuel flap from another beetle and that's why it says to use 87 Octane gas. I agree that using Premium Fuel in a car that doesn't need it is a waste of money but using lower Octane gas in a car that requires it is just as bad since over time not only is the performance and mileage degraded but it could also cause engine damage especially if the knock sensors fail. 17-18 mpg is pretty low gas mileage for the 1.8. Have you scanned the car for codes yet? I would check the spark plugs and see what they look like. Also check for any vacuum leaks. Was the car upgraded by the previous owner? Perhaps a tune in which he swapped out the FPR from a 3 Bar to a 4 BAR Fuel Pressure regulator? Then switched off the tune to sell it or trade it in leaving the 4 Bar FPR in place which is wasting fuel? Just speculation on my part but I had the same issue with an Audi TT 1.8 that I purchased. It had a 4Bar installed and the factory called for a 3Bar FPR. That engine was running way rich and was wasting gas. Switched it back to a 3Bar and all was good with the world. ;)
Not saying that is the case in your situation but I would still scan the ECM for any stored codes.

You really should be getting 22 minimum city and about 28 Highway. About 25mpg would be a pretty normal average. Sometime in this cold crappy weather probably a little less.
The least average I ever had in my beetle was 24.6 mpg and that is because I let it warm up a couple of minutes before heading out on a cold day ;) In warmer climates you don't have to worry about that sort of thing ;)
Read her codes and she is clean. Doubt seriously that she had any mods like that since the PO was a keep it stock, keep up the maintenance, trade it in when you get tired of it type of girl. She did everything by the book. Iggy was repainted before I got her. I'm assuming due to a rear ender that was on the carfax about a year before trade in. Could be that the flap was replaced then. I will start putting the good stuff in like a good little turbo beetle owner now I promise :p I know it didn't make a difference on my gas mileage the 2 tanks that I used it before, but I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it changes over time (or if my real time readings show that I need to fix thermostat or O2 sensors). Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Read her codes and she is clean. Doubt seriously that she had any mods like that since the PO was a keep it stock, keep up the maintenance, trade it in when you get tired of it type of girl. She did everything by the book. Iggy was repainted before I got her. I'm assuming due to a rear ender that was on the carfax about a year before trade in. Could be that the flap was replaced then. I will start putting the good stuff in like a good little turbo beetle owner now I promise :p I know it didn't make a difference on my gas mileage the 2 tanks that I used it before, but I will keep an eye on it and let you know if it changes over time (or if my real time readings show that I need to fix thermostat or O2 sensors). Thanks for the input.
I don't think that using the wrong type of fuel is the single cause for your lousy gas mileage. And if your timing belt service has been done recently than they should have put a new thermostat in there as well. If an O2 sensor would be bad it should show up as a stored code or even multiple codes.
I would pull the plugs and see what kind of plugs are in there and what condition they are in. When I first got my beetle the first thing I did is pull the plugs. My valve cover gasket was leaking and they were totally soaked in oil. Also whoever had it before me put Copper plugs in there which there is nothing wrong with that they just don't last as long as the stock Double Platinum or Aftermarket Iridium plugs, of course Copper plugs are a lot cheaper. So I did change the Valve cover gasket and the plugs and the car ran a lot better afterwards. Get yourself a Scangauge II. It will serve you as a multiple Gauge for Coolant Temperature, Battery Voltage, Intake Temperature etc.. You can display up to 4 Gauges at one time which comes in very handy. It also can read basic OBDII codes and clear them. Had mine now for 10 years and it served me well in several of my 1.8 Turbo vehicles and also in my 2010 Chevy which sadly gets better gas mileage than my Beetle. ;) But the Beetle is more fun to drive.

·
Owner of Puffy
144 Posts
my gas door says premium in a few different languages.
I only run 93, I won't take a chance with a lesser octane and she likes the good stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts