NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 1.8T, For the last week I have had 2 simultaneous problems. First, when I turn the key she starts immediately but may or may not idle. If I give a little gas this usually stops. Runs fine otherwise. Secondly, I sometimes hear an alarm, like a door is open. No warning lights on. AND, at night I notice that while this alarm is sounding the little lights above the front seat belts come on. If I turn on the high beams the alarm changes from intermittent to constant. The head lights are fine. I had the auto parts people put a tester on and they say the battery and alternator both check out just fine. They plugged in a diagnostic device and it said "no codes". I'm stumped. BTW, I've had no work done on the car

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise, I would guess that it's time for a fuel filter change anyway. If these 2 problems are unrelated but occurred together it would be a twist of fate, but fate does more twisting than Chubby Checker. I'll be dropping by a VW shop (not dealer) on the way to an afternoon shift today. We'll see what they come up with. Talk about a twist of fate, now I have a dull ache starting in my hip pocket, I hope that gets better.;)

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Solution

According to the VW guru in Gainesville, VW tied the electronic fuel system into a microswitch in the driver door. The switch has started to fail so the fuel pump may not activate and the same switch thinks the door is open when it's not. Cost to replace, $500. I found a video on youtube where a guy takes the door apart, takes the switch apart and resolders the switch.This I will try.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts