NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New user and new Beetle owner here. I just purchased a 2000 Beetle for my daughter. I’ve already started a list of jobs that need to be done to it before I hand it over to her. The one that bugs me the most is the odometer. The guy I bought it from said that he replaced the cluster because the original one was fried. The new one he installed shows 3,911 miles. Is there anyway to find the correct miles and have that shown on the odometer?

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
The odometer reading is stored on the eeprom chip; on the circuit board, inside the speedo cluster. To access the hex data; pull, modify and reload this hex data onto the eeprom chip, (this requires special programmer chip tools) and then, the odometer would read what you want it to.

The way vw normally allowed transfer of the odometer readings from the old cluster from the old to a (new) part; was the cluster would have to have "0" miles or kilometers and this would allow programming of the (original) odometer reading. Many speedos are "NLA" from the VW dealer and so we have to deal with used parts or have the original speedo rebuilt/repaired, which would retain the original odometer settings (sometimes the circuit boards are not repairable however). To do the programming yourself; the new/used cluster would need to read zero, which can be done by a chip programmer and you would need vatgtacho to find secret pin code and vcds by ross tech to finally do the coding process. I did this process myself it is very time-consuming, i had to ship the speedo out to be programmed to zero, there is a substantial learning curve and it is
n't ultimately not really beneficial, doing all the work yourself, in my opinion; then there is the investment, added cost of purchasing or renting the tools involved. (Vagtacho, vcds by ross tech)

The quicker and cheaper option; is to ship out the cluster and have the odometer settings transferred to it or have the original cluster repaired, if still available.

There are many places that can do this listed online; one shop i have used is Ian @ Reflect Tuning; you might contact him, describe your situation and see what solutions he offers you.

·
Registered
330 Posts
My daughter had the same issue when she bought her beetle. I found her one on eBay with about 40k less miles than actual. In my mind it’s not worth the effort to bring the new one in line with the actual mileage.

The ecu will have the actual mileage all you need is a vcds to read it.

As long as it works leave it, her friends will think you bought her a new car..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts