NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so I'm another member of that group who doesn't like the looks of an aftermarket radio in our dash, but, I have a problem. I cracked the faceplate of my cassette deck while removing it to replace my cabin fan switch. I'm looking at one of these:

Volkswagen 98 10 New Beetle Monsoon Stereo Radio CD MP3 Satellite New | eBay

Can I get away with putting this radio in my '99? I seem to recall there being issues with can-bus and the radio's power source? Could someone let me know if they've attempted putting one of these OEM cd players in place of ye old cassette deck?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
A few things to point out.

1. Assume your car has a Monsoon system? This head unit requires the car to have the Monsoon Amp in the trunk.

2. I am not 100% sure this is a "genuine" VW OEM radio. The factory radio has Monsoon written on the top opposite the wording Volkswagen. This appears to be an aftermarket replacement?? Not saying it is not a good unit, just saying I am not 100% sure about quality and reliability??

3. I updated my 2003 with something like this, however, it was an "official" OEM radio. Not sure what, if anything, is different between 1998, but it should?? work without issue??

4. I added an Aux interface to my upgraded radio, have the 6 CD changer and I am in the process of adding OEM Sirus to my setup as well. See this link - http://newbeetle.org/forums/car-audio/58487-7-90-aux-input-newer-head-unit.html

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Crap. I missed the part that said Monsoon...the 99 didn't come with it. Thanks for pointing that out. I want to say I remember reading that there is an issue with my car not having canbus, but I can't confirm it.

·
Premium Member
3,742 Posts
I feel you...no monsoon here either. They didn't come with those until '02

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 2002 GLS 2.0 I had a few years back had Monsoon. It sounded pretty decent for what it was, I think.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Read a post here a while back where someone installed the monsoon deck in a earlier non moonsoon car.They claimed it worked fine without the amp.Thinking about doing the same inmy 99 because the fm no longer locks in on frequency.Tape deck works fine.I believe all monsoon audio was made by GM Delphi division.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was indeed produced by Delphi. I haven't been able to confirm that the older car plays nice with the newer radio. :-\

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just did a quick search, I didn't find where anybody has put a monsoon in a 99. But it sounds very interesting to me. I already have a sound ordnance powered sub in the rear and I put 4 new sound ordnance speakers in the front two in the doors two in the quarters, and then I went ahead and replace the tweeters in the dash also. So I'm looking for a little bit better sound quality coming out of the 6 new speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts