NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Buggie is leaking oil and the mechanic told me I need a new oil pan. I am just wondering if there's any MAJOR drawback of getting an OEM oil pan online than getting one from the dealer.

My mechanic will order original part from our local VW dealer.

The price difference is more than $200.

The dealer wants $260+ for the oil pan and gasket.
Online store wants only $55.

Also, do I need an oil pan with oil level indicator?
My Buggie is a 2002 GLS 4CYL 2.0L.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
My Buggie is leaking oil and the mechanic told me I need a new oil pan. I am just wondering if there's any MAJOR drawback of getting an OEM oil pan online than getting one from the dealer.

My mechanic will order original part from our local VW dealer.

The price difference is more than $200.

The dealer wants $260+ for the oil pan and gasket.
Online store wants only $55.

Also, do I need an oil pan with oil level indicator?
My Buggie is a 2002 GLS 4CYL 2.0L.
Not sure if you need a pan with an Oil level sensor hole or not. Easiest way is to look at your present pan and see if you have one now. Then just transfer the sensor from the old pan to the new one. Here is one at ECS tuning for only $41.10 including the sensor hole. You may want to check into getting a Hybrid Oil Pan. Which is part aluminium and part steel for better durability. They hold up better if you hit a chuck hole or bump. They start at around 85 bucks.
I would swap the oil pan yourself and safe the labor fees. Not a terribly difficult job, just a tad messy. ;)

Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Oil Pan > ES#2090836 Oil Pan Assembly - 038103603N

·
5/23/10 <3
10,919 Posts
I don't think any NB in the states has an oil level sensor. Get the one without.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@IndyTom: Is that your Buggie in the picture? I have the same color one. Also, do you have the website for a Hybrid oil pan? I really dont think I can do it myself. I cannot even change a flat tire. :p

@Smileybug: That's exactly what I think but I am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I don't think any NB in the states has an oil level sensor. Get the one without.
More then likely correct. My Beetle doesn't have the sensor. My 01 Audi TT did have the sensor. Not sure why Volkwagon decided not to put the sensor on the US Beetle's. Probably to safe a buck.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
@IndyTom: Is that your Buggie in the picture? I have the same color one. Also, do you have the website for a Hybrid oil pan? I really dont think I can do it myself. I cannot even change a flat tire. :p
Yup, that is my little Yellow Beetle ;) I really like that color. Never thought I would buy a yellow car but when I saw her and drove her I just had to have her :p

I am 99.7% sure you don't have an oil Level Sensor.
Here is a link to the Hybrid Oil pans.
Volkswagen New Beetle 2.0 > Search > Oil Pan > ES#7918 Hybrid Oil Pan Assembly - 06A103601T

The Hybrid oil pans don't have the oil level sensor and I am pretty sure your car doesn't either. It isn't mentioned in the Owners manual. They just say to check your oil whenever you fill up. The Oil light that comes on is actually an oil pressure warning light and not like some people believe a low oil level warning light.

How much are they charging you to replace the Oil pan? Shouldn't take a shop more than an hour or less to replace.
Especially if they have a lift and proper tools.

Perhaps Santa will bring you an Oil Pan and someone to install it for you ;)

Have a great evening!

Here is the least expensive Aluminium Oil Pan without sensor hole that I found online:
http://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vw-engine-oil-pan-beetle-golf-jetta-038103601na-1?gclid=CKi2pIeug60CFUYUKgodwBevBA

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@IndyTom: Do I need to buy a gasket kit for the hybrid model?

The dealer wants to charge me $600 to replace the oil pan. They said it is a 2 hour job.

My mechanic is going to charge me an hour (which is about $100) plus the part from the dealer which comes up to about $400. I will need to talk to my mechanic to see if he will work on my car if I bring in my own part. He usually doesnt like his customers buying own parts.

Hehehehe....I really wish Santa will bring me someone to fix up my car!!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
@IndyTom: Do I need to buy a gasket kit for the hybrid model?

The dealer wants to charge me $600 to replace the oil pan. They said it is a 2 hour job.

My mechanic is going to charge me an hour (which is about $100) plus the part from the dealer which comes up to about $400. I will need to talk to my mechanic to see if he will work on my car if I bring in my own part. He usually doesnt like his customers buying own parts.

Hehehehe....I really wish Santa will bring me someone to fix up my car!!!!! :D
$600 to install the Oil Pan :calvin: YIKES~~~!!!!

$100 is a lot more reasonable. But $400 in parts isn't.
You do need a gasket regardless of which pan you get but a gasket isn't really that much. You may also need a new Oil pick up tube but only if the one in your present oil pan is broken which it doesn't seem to be since you are still driving it. Most mechanics don't want to install parts they don't order since they don't get a comission on the sale and they can't guarantee what they don't sell. Still, I think most of these pans are pretty much the same and I can't see spending $400.00 on parts when less than a 100 will do.

Felpro OS30708R Oil Pan Gasket | Auto Parts Warehouse

Oil pan gasket is about $26 bucks. Aftermarket Pan between 50 and 90 bucks. So lets say $116.00 plus maybe $30.00 for New Synthetic Motor Oil and Filter. So total Parts shouldn't be more than $146.00 plus $100 Labor = $246.00.

Maybe bring your mechanic some Christmas Cookies and perhaps he will consider installing the less expensive parts ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer is always a rip-off. I just paid $70 to change the headlight's light bulb at the dealer couple weeks ago. I am not handy/technical at all. Ugh =/

I may try to go to a different place to get it done.

Yes -- I think my mechanic gets commissions from selling parts as well.

My buggie is definitely falling apart -- the horn is out of tunes (dealer told me I need to get both high and low horn replaced), the gas door is not working (I just taped it over and now it wont close all the way) and the most recent one is the remote sometimes wont lock the driver's door (just happened 2 days ago).

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just changed my oil pan on my 98 last week. There was a black insert on the bottom of the pan that looked like a sensor but once I remove the pan, it was just a empty plate to fill the whole where a sensor went (probably on Euro models). I installed the hybrid pan and guess what, it leaked where the steel portion meets the aluminum part. I had to repair it by separating that portion and resealing it. ECS Tuning sent me another tube for the job so now I have some for the shop for other jobs. No leaks now. $600 is waaayyy to much cash for a simple job like this.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Dealer is always a rip-off. I just paid $70 to change the headlight's light bulb at the dealer couple weeks ago. I am not handy/technical at all. Ugh =/

I may try to go to a different place to get it done.

Yes -- I think my mechanic gets commissions from selling parts as well.

My buggie is definitely falling apart -- the horn is out of tunes (dealer told me I need to get both high and low horn replaced), the gas door is not working (I just taped it over and now it wont close all the way) and the most recent one is the remote sometimes wont lock the driver's door (just happened 2 days ago).
Gotta love the Stealer, charging 70 bucks to change out a 3 dollar bulb. If they know what they are doing it takes about 5 minutes to do. I just changed my headlight bulbs to a HID kit and that was fairly simple. Cost me about $32.49 installed :D Next time you need a bulb changed let me know I'll come over and change it for you. Just pay for the gas and you will still be cheaper off than the dealer ;)
My horns were shot when I got the car so I replaced it with one of these :D http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326940_200326940?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Auto Accessories-_-Air Horns + Sirens-_-331036&ci_sku=331036&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}
It has both High and Low tones in one and is plenty loud to get peoples attention. It fits perfectly in the stock horn location and no relay was necessary. Easy swap and you can buy it at Walmart or most Autoparts stores or online.
Your fuel door latch is a different story. Here is a DIY on how to fix it but it is a bit involved, but they say it can be done in 30 minutes: http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/47608-fuel-door-latch-diy.html

The locking mechanism is probably an issue with your internal door switch and there is a fix for it as well but you need to take the door apart. My drivers side door does the same thing but I found out that if you lock it then unlock it then lock it again it does finally lock :) If that doesn't work try to lock it first then unlock it. Wait for 30 seconds and the door will lock itself. At least it does on mine.

Hope you get your car fixed soon! The beetle is a great car but a lot of little things seem to creep up on it. It is labor intensive and can drain your wallet especially if you are not handy to do things on your own.
Check around your area to see if there are any Euro type Auto shops. They usually will charge less than the dealer will but they are not as cheap as doing it yourself. For me that is half the fun of owning this car. I like a challenge ;)

Have a great day!

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
I just changed my oil pan on my 98 last week. There was a black insert on the bottom of the pan that looked like a sensor but once I remove the pan, it was just a empty plate to fill the whole where a sensor went (probably on Euro models). I installed the hybrid pan and guess what, it leaked where the steel portion meets the aluminum part. I had to repair it by separating that portion and resealing it. ECS Tuning sent me another tube for the job so now I have some for the shop for other jobs. No leaks now. $600 is waaayyy to much cash for a simple job like this.
Yes, all oil pans have the indentation for a fuel level sensor but on our US models they are just plugged up and not used. Bummer about your hybrid oil pan leaking. Other than that how do you like it? I have heard pros and cons about the Hybrid pan. It is suppose to be more durable if you hit things. But there are others that have switched and don't like it for some reason. As far as you can tell is the Hybrid pan a lower profile pan or does it hang down about the same as the Aluminum pan? Also it uses a Hex type Oil Plug. Is that an issue or is it easy to get to?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@jabpnut: Hmmm...I was thinking to get the hybrid one but now it makes me wonder cuz I am not handy at all and I will have to take it in to get it changed.

@IndyTom: Hey..you can change my oil pan, my other headlight bulb (since they dont match now), my horn and my gas door in one trip to Chicago!!!! It sounds like a plan. How soon can you start?? :D

So Hybrid Pan or No Hybrid Pan???

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
@jabpnut: Hmmm...I was thinking to get the hybrid one but now it makes me wonder cuz I am not handy at all and I will have to take it in to get it changed.

@IndyTom: Hey..you can change my oil pan, my other headlight bulb (since they dont match now), my horn and my gas door in one trip to Chicago!!!! It sounds like a plan. How soon can you start?? :D

So Hybrid Pan or No Hybrid Pan???
LOL, Sounds like I have to plan my next vacation in Chicago :p
The headlight bulbs are easy. Well, once you get the headlights out. The retaining ring is plastic and gets crudded up over time so they are a little tricky getting out of there the first time. When I took mine out to install the HID kit I totally disasembled the retaining strap and washed it in Dawn liquid, then lubed it with some Rem Oil and put it back into the housing. Now it is smooth as glass and I can pop those headlights out in less than 20 seconds ;)
The horn is no big deal either you can either get a separate High and Low tone Highway Blaster at Autozone or just put a Small Dual Airhorn in there like I did. Sounds like an Italian Sports car and it is pretty loud.
That Gas door latch is going to be a little more tricky but not impossible.

As far as the oil pan goes. I would just get the regular Aluminum Oil pan. It is lighter, cheaper and doesn't come in two pieces like the hybrid pan does. As long as you stay away from the Chicago Pot holes you should be fine. I know, easier said than done. You guys have chuck holes the size of the Grand Canyon up there. ;)

Where in Chicago are you? (North/South/West/Lake Michigan) :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@IndyTom: I wish I am handy/technical.... Believe it or not, I just learned how to check my oil 2 weeks ago cuz Buggie is leaking. Otherwise, I will never learn.

The Stealer (as you called) wants $500+ for the horn replacement. Mine is working right now but sometimes it's out of tunes.

And one of the light bulbs by the license plate is out and they want $40 for it. I am like no way Jose.

Chicago is horrid when it comes to those potholes. I did went over a huge one last year and had to claim my insurance to get Buggie fixed cuz it torn the cover in the front and one of the fog light was busted and the front bumper was scratched.

I live in the SW side of Chicago =)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
@IndyTom: I wish I am handy/technical.... Believe it or not, I just learned how to check my oil 2 weeks ago cuz Buggie is leaking. Otherwise, I will never learn.

The Stealer (as you called) wants $500+ for the horn replacement. Mine is working right now but sometimes it's out of tunes.

And one of the light bulbs by the license plate is out and they want $40 for it. I am like no way Jose.

Chicago is horrid when it comes to those potholes. I did went over a huge one last year and had to claim my insurance to get Buggie fixed cuz it torn the cover in the front and one of the fog light was busted and the front bumper was scratched.

I live in the SW side of Chicago =)
:calvin: $500 bucks for a set of High/Low horns. Are they out of their rocker? They cost about 15 bucks each if you get them at Autozone or Pep Boys. Or about 40 bucks or less for the Bad Boy Airhorn. Took me about 40 minutes to install since I had to fabricate a bracket for the Wolo which was no big deal but it took about 15 minutes to do.

I am planning on a gettogether with some friends up in Chicago in January. Perhaps I can take a look at your beetle at that time. Do you have a Garage to work in?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@IndyTom: I am telling ya -- the dealer is laughing his ass off all the way to the bank. Their quotes are outrageous.

I dont have a garage but I can probably use one of my friends' if it's necessary.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
@ Pineapple1001: Hi:wave2:
You should give fellow orger Joel/Opelmania a hollar. He's in the Chicago area and might be able to help you with a few repairs, such as replacing your oil pan. He's good people and might be the mechanic you've been asking Santa about:wink:.

I need to replace Cup's oil pan as well- slow drip:mad:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@scarabY2k: Hello :wave2: OMG...thanks so much for the info. I am going to look him up and see if he has any good recommendation or if he can even do the job himself. I've been so worried and checked my oil every day and night. Mine is a slow drip as well but I am being super duper paranoid.

·
Super Moderator
20,813 Posts
Being somewhat paranoid isn't a bad thing. You're just concerned about your bug is all.

And yes, please give Joel a hollar. Dude has done incredible work to His nB, named Gayle. He's a hard-core orger who's well knowledged about our bugs and an avid road tripper. It would be great if you and Joel could get a good Chicago beetle collective going.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts