NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Someone said this would be cool, so I figured this would be a good time to start the thread.

Everyone put down 1 item for each section (you can add more later, but let everyone get in :) )

Also, create a text document, or something with the actual directions for each item. These will later be added into a .PDF document to create a giant cook book.

Appetizers:

Soup/Salad/Side:

Breakfast:

Lunch:

Dinner:

Bread/Muffins:

Dessert:

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Ok, I'll just add the few I know off the top of my head, or can find online, and add some more later:

Breakfast:

Stuffed French Toast.

2.5 cups of milk
5 eggs
2 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of salt
12 slices homestyle bread or french bread
8 oz. package of plain or flavored cream cheese (softened)
6-8 tbsp preserves
fresh fruit

Mix eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla in a bowl.

Spread cream cheese on one slice of bread. Spread fruit preserve on the other slice of bread. Sandwich together, and soak in egg batter.

Place on skillet, cook 1-3 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Put fresh fruit on top and serve.

Appetizer:

Hot Crab Dip

1 (14oz) round loaf crusty bread
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp horseradish
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
1 (6oz or 8oz) package Louis Kemp crab delights (flake style, chopped)

Preheat oven to 375. Cut 1-inch slice from top of bread. Cut out center of bread, leaving 1-inch shell.

In a separate bowl, combine next 6 ingredients, beating to blend well. Transfer mixture to bread bowl. Place on baking sheet and bake until heated through (about 10 minutes).

Dessert:

Pumpkin Cheesecake.
(I have to give Martha Stewart credit for this one. It's awesome.)

Serves 10 to 12

For the crust:
8 ounces gingersnap cookies (about 32 cookies), broken into pieces
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

For the filling:
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
4 eight-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 fifteen-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin purée
3 tablespoons bourbon
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs
Whipped cream, for serving (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 325°. Make the crust: Place gingersnaps in the bowl of a food processor, and process until finely ground. Add pecans, melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon. Process just until combined and the mixture holds together. Transfer the cookie mixture to a 9-inch nonstick springform pan, and pat out evenly to make the crust, lining the sides of the pan about 1 1/2 inches of the way up. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

2. Make the filling: In a small bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add pumpkin, bourbon, vanilla, and flour mixture. Beat to combine. Add eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition.

3. Pour batter into prepared crust. Wrap the outside of the springform pan with a double layer of aluminum foil. Place in a roasting pan. Add enough hot water to come halfway up the sides of the springform pan. Bake until cake is set in the center, about 1 hour and 45 minutes.

4. Remove from water, and cool on a wire rack. Remove foil, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to overnight. To unmold, release the sides of the pan, and slide onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream.

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
FineExampl's Secret Chicken Recipe

Listen up kids...i am sharing this recipe ONLY with the org, so i hope you like this. I don't even give an exact recipe to my non-cyber friends. So here you go...

FineExampl's Bitchin' Chicken

1 Whole chicken, quartered (in other words 2 breast/wings, and 2 leg/thighs obviously), any size (i use something about the size of an "oven stuffer roaster", but whatever's on sale works nicely)

1 grill (The grill i use is about 3 feet long so you will have to use your imagination and come up with something that will work for you.) If you don't have a grill, see the very bottom.

about 3-4 cups of mesquite and/or hickory chips soaked in water for about 20-30 minutes so they don't turn to ash.

RUB:
paprika, kosher salt, thyme, black pepper, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, onion powder

Use approx. half or up to 1 cup GOOD paprika (DON'T SKIMP HERE! Paprika's are not created equal). I use a good mild Hungarian paprika that is found in most good supermarkets. That cheap $1.50 plastic container might as well be red food coloring. If you went with the cup of paprika use half of that amount in kosher salt (not the iodized crystal crap, it won't dissolve right). So it's a 1 to one half ratio of salt vs paprika...cool? cool. Now...get some good dried thyme, about 2-3 tablespoons should do. You really can't overdo thyme imho. Approx. 2 or so tablespoons or so of black and cayenne pepper. Use your judgement on the cayenne. I use alot and it's not spicy at all. As much onion and garlic powder as you think it needs.
Now, start with the paprika and everything but the salt and mix it up good. SLOWLY add the salt to the mixture and taste it on your finger as you go. When it's at a level of saltiness you like, add just a tiny bit more as alot of it will fall off while cooking.

Rub the mixture LIBERALLY all over the chicken. Make sure to get it in all the little nooks and crannies.

Divide your grill in half. Coals on one side and a drip pan on the other. I only use hardwood as it's more reliable and burns hotter and cleaner and costs about the same. Get your coals nice and hot (if using briquets shame on you, but make sure they are well ashed over before you begin.). On the no-coals side put a drip pan of some kind. I usually just use a basket of aluminum foil and it's good enough. Keep a water spritzer nearby to prevent flareups while turning.

Bird time! Place the chicken on the no-coals side placing the thicker edges closest to the coals. Now it's time to add smoke. Take the presoaked chips (drain them of course) and put half on top of the coals. They will not douse the fire. In few seconds you should have a nice plume of white smoke, this is good. Black smoke is bad and can cause cancer, so be careful. Close the lid immediately and open a vent to let a bit of air in, but don't leave the lid open or you'll lose all that precious smoke.

RESIST THE URGE to open the lid! let the chicken be for about 20 minutes. After about 20 minutes the smoke will slow down some. Open the lid, stoke the fire (watch for flareups), and turn your meat. Repeat this process once more and add more smoke chips midway through. You should have enough chips for an hour of constant smoke if you don't rush the process.

The meat's internal temp should be about 160-170 degrees when it's done. For an over stuffer type bird at a grill temp between 300 and 375 it should take about 45 min to 1 hour of cooking time with this indirect heating method. When your meats at temp, remove it immediately or you'll have dry chicken. If it's still not done give it a couple minutes of direct grilling with your spritzer at the ready. Flames and food are bad people...carcinogens are not good for you.

Now the fun part, eating. When you get the meat off the grill and on the table the smell of the meat will blow your mind! The meat should be black or dark brown in appearance as the parika will char slightly, but this is okay i assure you. The inner meat will have varying color due to the smoking and should be cooked to your liking.

This is not an exact recipe, but it's how i do it every time and it's so damn delicious. Kids will love this, as will all chicken lovers. Serve it with some fresh steamed asparagus and some rice as i often do.

I hope you all like this. If i haven't been clear, PM me so i can clarify.

Love,
John

(no grill? make a smoker pan! take a deep roasting pan like the one you use once a year for your turkey. and place the pre-soaked smoker chips in the bottom. use some oven proof objects in the corners and place a drip pan on top. Place your meat on that and cover it well! Open all the windows in the house or you will have a smoked house!! Bake 375 for about 30-40 minutes. This isn't a method i recommend as it will make ALOT of smoke in the house regardless, but if you must...)

·
Thomas
361 Posts
This recipe was given to me by an Army buddy's wife, and it's pretty fattening, but I'm sure that low fat ingredients could be substituted. It makes a pretty big pot, so it's a good thing to make for potlucks or big gatherings.

Chicken Spaghetti:

Ingredients

1 - 1.5 lb of skinless chicken breast
1 lb of spaghetti
24 - 32 slices of cheese
3 cans of Rotel (diced tomatoes & chilies)

Preparation:

Cut the chicken breast up into slices of your liking
Put them into a pot of water and season (I usually use seasoning salt & pepper)
Boil for about 30 min. or until white all the way through

Boil the spaghetti or other pasta noodles according to the directions

Once the spaghetti is done, drain and put it into a big pot (you'll need the room for all the stirring)

Immediately pour in the cans of Rotel under low heat and start adding the cheese slices until all of the spaghetti is nice and yellow

Last but not least add your chicken slices

Notes: Rotel (if its sold in your area) comes in different variations. If you have kids, get the Milder. Otherwise your kids will complain that it's too hot (mine do).

You can also add peas to it in order to get your veggies in. I usually don't, but garlic bread and a beer are usually my side dishes.:D Enjoy!

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
GOOD paprika (DON'T SKIMP HERE! Paprika's are not created equal). I use a good mild Hungarian paprika that is found in most good supermarkets. That cheap $1.50 plastic container might as well be red food coloring.
This is true for all herbs and spices kids----those 99 cent herbs might as well be green confetti.

Sounds like a great recipe John---------that rub will work on any other grilled meats as well.

Try rubbing it under & over the skin of a roasting chicken prior to putting it in the oven.

And then stick a pricked lemon and some fresh herbs inside the bird-------------

YUM

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
angelworks said:
This is true for all herbs and spices kids----those 99 cent herbs might as well be green confetti.

Sounds like a great recipe John---------that rub will work on any other grilled meats as well.

Try rubbing it under & over the skin of a roasting chicken prior to putting it in the oven.

And then stick a pricked lemon and some fresh herbs inside the bird-------------

YUM
Thanks for the backup on the herbs and spices. I don't know how people can buy that stuff.

I'm with you on the lemon and herbs inside. I make a MEAN herb stuffed roast turkey on the holidays. I always brine the turkey and this usually lets the skin on the turkey loosen so i generally stuff long sprigs of roasemary under the skin anywhere i can put one and my fresh lemon thyme is so awesome. I'm keeping my rosemary plants this year as they are extremely strong even with all the harsh weather. Anyway, my turkeys rock and i ALWAYS get lots of good savory herbal turkey gravy...smooth like silk and the bird is juicy as hell!

We need to throw out a NB cooking basics thread. That would be very helpful.

Anyone wanna start it? I got nothin else right now.

John

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
FineExampl said:
Thanks for the backup on the herbs and spices. I don't know how people can buy that stuff.

I'm with you on the lemon and herbs inside. I make a MEAN herb stuffed roast turkey on the holidays. I always brine the turkey and this usually lets the skin on the turkey loosen so i generally stuff long sprigs of roasemary under the skin anywhere i can put one and my fresh lemon thyme is so awesome. I'm keeping my rosemary plants this year as they are extremely strong even with all the harsh weather. Anyway, my turkeys rock and i ALWAYS get lots of good savory herbal turkey gravy...smooth like silk and the bird is juicy as hell!

We need to throw out a NB cooking basics thread. That would be very helpful.

Anyone wanna start it? I got nothin else right now.

John

Gotta Brine the bird----------I do mine with a hefty portion of Wild Turkey--yum.

I get lots of gravy too-------which is good since my son and I practically eat it like soup.

Lemon thyme is one of my fav fresh herbs------it's so good in pasta salads!

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll make additions to the rest in a bit, but I don't have all my recipes in front of me.

Appetizers:

Soup/Salad/Side:

Breakfast:

Sausage, Egg, Cheese Burritos.

This Recipe will create 4 servings of burritos.

Ingredients:

1/3 of a 16oz. roll of Sausage (I use Bob Evans brand)
4 or 5 Large Eggs
Shredded Cheddar or Mexican cheese.
Package of Tortilla shells
1 Tbsp Margarine

Extras:

Jalapenos
Salsa

Directions:

Slice Sausage roll into three 1/3 rolls. Place 2 extra rolls in storage bags and freeze. Cook sausage in a medium-small pan on medium-high heat and ground up. After Sausage has browned, turn off heat and move pan to a cool burner on stove. Next, crack 5 eggs into a medium size bowl. Wisk eggs really well for about 1 minute. Using a medium size pan, melt 1 Tbsp of Margarine with medium heat and coat entire pan (sides included). Pour eggs into pan and turn heat to medium-high. Wait about 30 seconds to allow bottom of egg mixture to begin to cook. Use a flipper to chop eggs up and scramble them. After the eggs are done cooking, turn off heat and move to a cool burner on the stove. Finally, take 3 sheets of paper towel and wet it with cold water. Wring it out, and tangle it from the ball, and place the middle sheet over a large plate. Take 4 Tortillas and place on top of the wet paper towel, then fold the 1st and last sheets over top of the burritos. Place in Mircowave for 45 - 60 seconds.

Take Burritos and place on plate, spoon an even amount of egg and sausage on to each burrito, roll up the buritto and enjoy :)

Lunch:

Dinner:

Bread/Muffins:

Dessert:

·
2.5L 5 Cyl. killer bunny
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Pete, your stuffed french toast is a lot like my recipe, except that I hand make a cream cheese and walnut based filling. Yummy.

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
The 5-minute "bachelor's" Sheppard's Pie

Ingredients:
  • Mashed potato mix
    • you will probably also need water, milk, and butter
  • Ground beef
  • Corn (optional)
  • Ketchup
Ho to make it my way:
  1. Take some frozen gound beef that's been sittin in your freezer for who knows how long and defrost it in the microwave.
  2. While it's gettin defrosted, start preppin your boxed mash potato mix.
  3. With the derosted ground beef, cook it in a seperate pan, and get it good and ground.
  4. The beef should be ready at almost the same time as the mashed taters finish.
  5. drain the ground beef fat
  6. layer it on a plate or in a bowl, mashed taters first, then the ground beef, annd corn and ketchup to your liking.

Attachments

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
FineExampl's Putanesca Sauce

LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY: EASY

Ok start off by getting yourself some decent pasta. Whatever you like, but penne works well with this sauce as well as pipette. Basically anything that holds onto sauce is wonderful. Don't let it get soggy. Al dente means al dente. It should be slightly firm.

1 medium onion or half of one large (approx 1 cup) chopped well
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 large cans of crushed tomatoes (28oz)
1 small can of tomato paste
6 or more cloves crushed garlic
2 tablespoons (or more) of capers (i get them in a jar)
1 small can of anchovy filets (the small king oscar can is enough for a little over 2 tablespoons, you won't taste fish in the sauce at all for all you anchovy hating wusses)
1 cup (or more) black or kalamata olives
approx 1 tablespoon (or more depending on your liking) GOOD dried basil (or a nice handful of fresh if you have it)
1 half teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1 half teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup marsala (or any dark red wine; can be omitted or substitute a good dark beer if you like)
dash of salt
dash of pepper
(if you like meat, make some nice meatballs or something, but you don't need them for this sauce)
(feel free to have some parmesan reggiano cheese with this, but use sparingly as this dish has plenty of salt)

In a LARGE pot - oil - onions - simmer til soft and about to turn brown. Try not to let them brown, just get em squishy. When they get squishy add your garlic, let it chill with the onions a minute or two.
Next, add the rest of your ingredients and let them get nice and hot. Turn your heat to low (LOW, not just below medium or anything else...low means low).

Go throw in a DVD (Lord of The Rings perhaps) and watch it. When the credits start rolling cook your pasta. When the credits finish, your pasta should be perfect. Now, get a big bowl, a nice dark beer or red wine, a piece of bread, and watch the making of featurettes on your DVD while you eat.

This recipe leaves enough sauce left over for later. I usually use half and freeze half. However, it keeps well in the fridge for over a week in perfect conditions.

This is my favorite pasta sauce. It's addictive! Single guys....if you want to impress a chick....this is THE sauce.

Please try this recipe. I know my last one was difficult, but this one is not. This is a no-nonsense anyone-can-do-it recipe.

Enjoy!:D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Made a new sauce this weekend:

FineExampl's Sausage Sauce

1 large can crushed tomatos
1 can Ro-Tel (diced tomatos and chilis)
1 small can tomato paste
1/2 large sweet onion (vidalia, maya gold, etc)
1/4 cup extra virgin
6 links of sweet italian sausage (out of casings)
1 teaspoon dried basil or as much fresh basil as you like
Garlic (about 6 cloves worth at least)
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

Onion, oil, sausage, pot. Get the onions nice and soggy. No need to fully cook the sausage as it will be in there for a while. Dump the rest in and bring to a bubble. Turn to low flame and simmer for a few hours. I let mine sit about 4 hours while i did other things. The sausage will melt in your mouth at that point. It's a tasty sauce. Next time i make it i will use hot sausage and omit the pepper flakes.

Sauces are my new speciality. Does anyone have any other ideas for pasta sauces??

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,311 Posts
Mushroom Strudel

Mushroom Strudel:

6 cups sliced mushrooms
handful of sliced onion
Balsamic vinaigrette dressing
Kraft 4 Cheese Italiano shredded cheese
1 can of crescent dinner rolls

Saute' onions and mushrooms in a large frying pan and add 1/2 cup of vinaigrette. Cook until veggies are soft and golden;about 5 minutes. Set aside and let cool.

Unroll the can of crescent rolls onto a cookie sheet pinching the dough together to make a rectangle. Sprinkle dough with a couple of handfuls of shredded cheese and spoon the mushroom mixture along one edge lengthwise.

Roll dough lenghtwise away from you, finishing with the seam underneath the strudel.

Bake at 375 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Using a serrated knife, cut crosswise into 6 pieces...
Enjoy!

·
18,311 Posts
FineExampl said:
Hmm...i like the idea. I wonder if you used the premade pizza dought they used if it would make for a firmer crust?
It might make it too firm. With the crescent roll dough you get a nice flaky pastry thats easy to cut into and eat. If you use the pizza dough when you try to cut it or eat it it might make everything squeeze out.

·
18,311 Posts
Appetizer

Louisiana Style Crab Nibblers

1/3 cup of milk
1/4 cup miracle whip
2 eggs
1 pkg stove top stuffing mix for turkey (6 0z)
1 Pkt shake n bake extra crispy seasoned coating mix.
2 can crab meat

Drain Crabmeat
Blend miracle whip, milk and eggs
Add stuffing mix and crab meat, mix well.
Shape into 12-16 small balls.

Coat in shake n bake. Place on cookie sheet and bake at 400 for 6 mins.

Sauce for crab nibblers

Mix 1/2 cup of miracle whip and 1/4 cup of seafood sauce and hot pepper sauce to taste. Refrigerate until serving time.

·
Customized Gifts For Sale
1,097 Posts
Homemade Gnocchi

1 1/2 Cups prepared instant mashed potatoes, cooled

1 Egg

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2- 2 Cups flour

1 Cup Marinara pasta sauce, warmed

In an 8qt stock pot bring water to a boil.

Combine mashed potatoes, egg, and salt. Add 1 1/2Cups of flour and mix until a dough begins to form a ball. Turn dough on to a lightly floured cutting board. ( I just use a piece of parchment paper on the counter) Kneading lightly until smooth. Sprinkle additional flour over surface as necessary to form dough that is mot sticky or dry
Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll each portion into a ½ inch think log across the full length of the cutting board.
Using a pizza cutter, cut each log into ¾ inch pieces, forming pillow shaped gnocchi.
Carefully drop the gnocchi into the boiling water. Once the gnocchi rises to the surface, cook for 2 minutes. The total cook time is about 4 minutes. Drain and serve with warm marinara sauce.

YEILDS: 4 servings

Okay here are the different sauces you can use in place of the marinara.

Walnut Pesto

1/4 Cup walnuts

1/2Cup lightly packed fresh basil leaves

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

1 clove garlic, pressed

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon black pepper

1/4cup (1 oz) fresh grated parmesan cheese

Use the above gnocchi recipe. Drain and return the gnocchi to the stock pot to keep warm. Place the walnuts in a microwave safe container and microwave for 1-2 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until the walnuts are fragrant and lightly toasted, cooling completely. Place the walnuts and basil together and finely chop. Add the oil and garlic to the basil mixture and mix. Add to the gnocchi and gently mix together. Spoon onto serving platter and add the parmesan cheese.

Makes enough for the 4 servings

Sage Brown Butter

1 Tablespoon Olive Oil

1 Tablespoon butter (IT HAS TO BE BUTTER NO SUBSTUTES)

3 Tablespoons fresh snipped sage leaves

1/4 Cup (1 oz) fresh grated Romano cheese

Black pepper

Option: additional sage leave

Use the above gnocchi recipe. Drain and return the gnocchi to the stock pot to keep warm.

In a 12” skillet heat the oil and butter over medium heat. Add the sage and cook 1 minute or until the butter begins to brown. Add the cooked Gnocchi. Cook without stirring 4-5 minutes or until the gnocchi is brown on one side. Remove from the skillet and spoon on to a serving platter. Top with the freshly grated cheese and black pepper.

Makes enough for the 4 servings

·
Bug Less
3,754 Posts
Desert: Caramel Apple Cheesecake

1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
1 (9-inch) graham cracker crust
2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
1/4 cup caramel topping
12 pecan halves, plus 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Reserve 3/4 cup of the apple filling; set aside. Spoon the remaining filling into the crust. Beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Add the eggs and mix well. Pour this over the pie filling.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the center of the cake is set. Cool to room temperature.
Mix the reserved pie filling and caramel topping in a small saucepan and heat for about 1 minute, or until spreadable. Spoon the apple-caramel mixture over the top of the cheesecake and spread evenly. Decorate the edge of the cake with pecan halves and sprinkle with chopped pecans. Refrigerate the cake until ready to serve.

I know you'll Love this :D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Seared Buffalo Medallions ala John

YUM jay!!

2 - 4-5oz buffalo/bison medallions (beef will work as well, but not the same)
1-2 - plantains
1 handfull oyster mushrooms. (as much as you want)
1 handfull shi-take mushrooms (as much as you want)

First, peel and slice the plantain into one inch thick diagonal slices. Soak them for an hour or so in well salted water. After an hour, remove them and dry them thoroughly unless you like oil burns and it gets you off.
Next, heat about a 1/4in of good frying oil (canola works well and wont burn as easily). Fry them badboys to a nice brown on each side. Reduce your heat on the oil, but keep it warm.
Take a heavy pot or a mallet, and smash the plantains to about 1/4-1/2 inch flat.
Season salt/pepper/whatever to taste.
Return oil to temperature and RE-fry your plantains to a rich golden brown on the exposed yellowy flesh. Remove and season well.
(You must season them well as they are very bland with nothing on them and have very little flavor, mostly just aroma.) These are now "tostones".

Now, drain most of your oil, reserving it for later use in this dish.

Toss in your shi-take and oysters in small bunches to evenly cook them through to a nice golden brown, seasoning as you go. When done, remove from heat.

Keep that pan HOT and place your pre-seasoned buffalo into the hot pan and let them sit there for at least 2-3 minutes without touching them. Do this for each side and serve immediately with your favorite steak topping and for the love of Jebus it had better not be ketchup!:mad: A1 is acceptable as is Luger's steak sauce. Or if yer Amanda, go for some kind of British style raisin sauce like HP or something.

Done! Garnish you see fit ad enjoy! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts