NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the Roswell2K 2019 official planning thread!

This is the information for the show, and will be constantly updated. Please return to this page to keep up to date on this great show, which will be celebrating its 20th anniversary!

WHEN: Friday June 21-23, 2019

WHERE: Roswell, New Mexico, USA

WHO: Head Alien, Antoine De Hon, assistant Head Alien, Howie Lipton

WHAT: Our biennial New Beetle event and car show

WHY: To celebrate our friendship and love for the VW New Beetle

Summary: The New Beetle show in Roswell started in the year 2000. New Beetles from Canada and the US came together in Roswell, NM to enjoy each other's company after the silver NB was featured in a VW TV ad, "reverse engineered by UFO's". Instead of just silver NBs attending, it was suggested that New Beetles of all 8 colours be allowed to attend. And so the show was born. The show has been featured in TV shows and magazines. We've participated in many different activities, including driving skills courses, a Drive-in theater, cavern tours, and swap meets. There are also various caravans from all over the country, and even Canada, so choose one and join the fun!

Host Hotel: *** The host hotel will be the Comfort Suites at the north end of the city; 3610 N. Main St. The special rates for participants is $84 King, $89 2 Queen beds, all non-smoking (normally $149), plus tax. Please call the hotel directly for the special rate (575-623-5501) and mention you are with the VW Beetle group. OR, email Edie: [email protected] if there's a problem. Please let them know your arrival/departure dates, keeping in mind that the CENTRAL Caravan arrives on Thursday, not Friday. Price includes hot breakfast buffet, and swimming/hot tub facilities. There are lots of hotels in Roswell, each offering different prices and amenities, so you are free to stay at one of them instead... but why bother?

Click Here --->Registration NOW OPEN!<---- Click Here

FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/groups/286031688242279/?ref=bookmarks

Attachments

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
What will it cost?

Please start saving now!! You have almost 2 years to save up for the event. Stuff your change away in a jar... put away at least $10 a week for 2 years and you'll be ok.
Host Hotel is about $90 a night, plus hotels to and from your home. Gas is now averaging about $2.25 a gallon for regular. You'll also need to make sure your car is serviced before the show. Plan for meals, snacks, drinks, and Alien souvenirs. The cost of the show is FREE! No admission or other entry fees, although since we have to pay for awards, printing, etc. you are welcome to make a contribution. Otherwise did I mention admission is free?

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Events

The UFO Museum once again has generously offered to sponsor the car show and awards.
They will host our car show on Saturday afternoon/evening, as well as a meet and greet on Friday from 4-5:30.
Free admission to the museum will also be provided to our group.

Schedule of Events

NOTE: For those of you arriving on Thursday, Friday is a chance to relax, clean your car, shop for alien goodies, and drive around town.
You might also want to go to Carlsbad Caverns, Bottomless Lakes, or other tourist places in the area.

Thursday Evening:
For those arriving early, planned dinner and Marguaritas is Los Cerritos Mexican Kitchen, 2103 N. Main St.
Dessert Social after at Sippy & Opals Ice Cream and Treats 327 N. Main St.

Friday:
4-5:30pm - Meet and Greet at the Roswell UFO Museum, snacks provided, 114 N. Main St.
6:00pm - Dinner, Farley's Pub, 1315 N. Main St. (suggested location, but you are free to go anywhere or suggest an alternate).
9:00pm - Dessert Social at Classic's Frozen Custard and have some Alien Ice, a swirl, or a sundae, or both!, 3009 N. Main St.

Saturday:
10:00 am - Poker Run: Drive around various locations in and around Roswell to pick up cards, and take pictures of the alien signs and murals.
Highest hand wins. Details will be provided but one checkpoint will include the Walker Aviation Museum at the Roswell airport... free admission,
and Great War history museum. Other stops promise to be sweet and tasty!
5:30-6:30 - Car Show setup, Roswell UFO Museum, 114 N. Main St.
7:00-9:00 - Hot Wheels Races/Barbie Beetle: Bring your fastest Hot Wheels, Prizes for top 3.
Customize and decorate your Barbie Beetle toy. Judging starts at 7pm and ends at 9:00.
9:00 - Start glowing up your Beetles to participate in the Glow Bug Cruise
9:30 - Glow Cruise up Main Street to the Host Hotel. Be sure to pack your bug before we leave the parking lot.
Then cruise back to Classic's for some more dessert goodies, and chatting with your Beetle Buddys!!

Raffle/Door Prize Request - please bring one VW, bug type item, alien, or regional item to share with others to the show so we can have it ready for the raffle at the Banquet. This has always been a fun sharing activity for the weekend!

Sunday:
11:30-2:00 - Banquet and awards presentation, El Toro Bravo, 102 S. Main St., next to the UFO Museum;
Mexican Buffet Lunch, slide show, and awards presentation.
Special buffet show price is $10 with drink (soda or tea), $9 without a drink, Kids $7

**Bring a Beetle toy or VW part, or souvenir from your city/state, and trade it for a raffle ticket.
Prizes to be drawn at the banquet.

Awards

Ok, get ready to prepare your car, Barbie Beetle, Budvase, and/or Hot Wheels car accordingly... here are the award categories! There will also be a couple surprise awards... not to be missed.

Road Rally/Poker Run; first, Mitch Perry; second, Chad Jisko; third, Joanne Estabrook
Hot Wheels; first, Joanne Estabrook; second, Aiden De Hon; third, Chad Jisko
Barbie Beetle; first, Joanne Estabrook; second, Kat MacElwain; third, Lisa Glander
Best Alien Themed, Abbie, Duane Bennett
Longest Distance, Dune, 2100 miles, Linda and Richard Jeffries
Shortest Distance, Daisy, 2 miles, Belinda Bierwirth
Highest Mileage, Stank Bug, Chad Jisko
Lowest Mileage, Knewbug, Mike Levy
Oldest Water-cooled Beetle,, Yellow Fever, Terry & Anita Sanders
Most Feminine, Speed Buggy, Mitch & Naomi Perry
Most Masculine, Klaus, John Miller
Best Beetle in the Rough, Snafu, Tiffani Holtmeir
Dirtiest Beetle, Rubber Ducky, Robert Steinbauer
Best Budvase, Cub Bug, Laura & John Portzer
Hard Luck Award, Turbie, Cameron Talley
Best Night Glow, Daisy Bug, Lisa Glander
Best Engine, Lee Caplan
Best Paint/Graphics, 2Hott, Tina & Bobby Ferrill
Best Display, Peppurr, Christy Lynch
UFO Museum Choice, Bumblebee, J. Wayne Bevers
Best of Show, Marvin, Antoine De Hon
Special Alien Photographer Award, Mike Levy

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
T-Shirt/Event Logo

Here is the finished design of the show t-shirt!
All short sleeve shirts are black, thick and soft Gildan Hammer shirts, very high quality.
^^^Deadline for ordering is June 1.
Please make sure you order in time as no extras will be ordered!!

Prices: Adult Men's sizes. S- XL, $20 each
2XL+, $23 each

Adult Women's. S-XL, $20 each
2XL+, $23 each
Kid's sizes. $15 each

Adult Men's and Women's Longsleeve, add $5 each.

How to order... Please email me ([email protected]) with quantities, sizes and style.
Paypal is to the same address, and send it as a Friend, so there isn't any service charge.
I need to prepay for the shirts, shipping, and setup, so I'd appreciate getting the money in advance, not at the show.
if you want a shirt and not attending, I will mail a shirt from Roswell, postage is about $6 extra.

Attachments

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Caravans

Carabugging with a group of other Beetles produces lots of laughs when you pass through a town and everyone is playing punch buggy. It is also a safe and friendly way to get to Roswell with fellow friends.

There is usually a Texas caravan, one from California, and another from Canada (CENTRAL!) that I lead. Central Caravan also cruises along parts of Historic Route 66, and note that we arrive on Thursday, giving us a day to relax, clean the cars, and tour around Roswell.

** BE SURE TO BRING AN FRS 2-WAY RADIO TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE REST OF YOUR CARAVAN, CHANNEL 6.

CENTRAL Caravan planning information is now live!
See it here...https://www.newbeetle.org/forums/roswell2k/154514-roswell2k-2019-central-caravan-planning.html

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Roswell FAQs

1. What is Roswell2K?
Roswell2K is a semi-annual pilgrimage to Roswell, NM for owners of water-cooled New Beetles. It's a fun-filled weekend in June. The show started in 2000 after VW made a TV ad showing a spinning silver New Beetle, and the caption "Reverse Engineered from UFOs". Our early email list started talking about the ad, and someone suggested that the silver ones meet in Roswell, after-which, someone suggested all colours attend. The rest is history... upwards of 200 cars showed up the first year!! The show in 2019 will be the 20th anniversary. Roswell used to be a small town in the middle of the desert, but because of the UFO stories, and many groups like ours visiting, it's grown to be a large city with all the amenities you'll need. It still has a small town charm, and we are always excitedly welcomed by the locals who love seeing all our Beetles.

2. Can I bring my old Dodge pickup truck?
Roswell2K has always been about getting together to celebrate the friendship and love of the VW New Beetle. It is only open to the VW New Beetle from 1998-2010, and now the newer Beetle, 2012 and up. Although most of us enjoy old cars and trucks, this show is dedicated only to the water-cooled Beetle, however we will enjoy being with people from previous years.

3. Are there awards? Does my NB have to be fancy?
This is a judged event, with trophies graciously provided by the Alien Museum. There are awards for both stock and modified cars, but judging isn't as strict as other car shows. The main thing is to bring your Beetle in any shape as long as it will make it there, have fun, and enjoy the show. There will be other fun awards like Best Budvase, Best Night Glow, Best Engine, and other surprise awards.

4. Ok, so what does it cost? Must be expensive.
Admission to Roswell2K is free, but there are expenses when putting on a show. Printing materials, postage, insurance, whatever, add up, and you are welcome to contribute at the show to help with these costs. You will need money for fuel, hotel/motel stays to and from the show, and at the show, food, snacks, Alien souvenirs, t-shirts, parts, etc. It's now early July 2017... if you put away at least $10 a week until the show in 2 years you should have enough saved. Although it's not absolutely necessary, an FRS radio is recommended, both to communicate if you are planning to ride in a caravan, and to use in some events possibly. Also, due to popular demand, there's a banquet on Sunday noon to present awards and say goodbyes. There is a cost for lunch based on what the restaurant charges. There are usually people that are travelling alone that want to share a room and save money, so post your wishes below.

5. Can I help out?
Yes, although it might look easy, many talented people also help out in the planning and execution of a car show. We will need your talents, and we are also open to suggestions on events and planning. Again, we need a logo for the shirts and postcards. Just reply to the thread.

6. Roswell is such a long drive, and isn't it hot there?
Yes, the drive there is half the fun, especially on a caravan. If you've never been that way it's truly beautiful, especially compared to seeing trees and grass all the time. The final 20 mile drive into Roswell is truly remarkable. It is usually hot there, but the actual car show takes place in the evening. And it's a dry heat!

7. Will there be NB parts and toys sold there?
Yes, be sure to bring any extra spare parts and toys to sell during the car show. Reply to this thread with parts you have for sale so that others can respond to let you know they're interested in you lugging it all the way to the show for a reason.

8. Are there really aliens in Roswell?
Most of us have attended the show at least 10 times. Although we're not sharing if we've been probed or not, we do see some alien types in town, as well as strange antennas and buildings along the way. Come check out the phenomenon and experience it yourself, and then decide if you want to share! Come and be abducted! They say the truth is out there...

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Registration

It's always nice to know who to expect. Planning, especially hotel and dinner arrangements, is easier knowing the amount of people joining us.

Registration is now open! https://www.cognitoforms.com/RoswellNewBeetleShow/_2019RoswellNewBeetleShow

1. Howie Lipton, Niagara Falls, Canada, Beetle; Sweetie, or Clint, or Red Devil, or GaSeR, CENTRAL Caravan, Leader
2. Antoine DeHon, Farmers Branch, TX, Marvin
3. JoAnne Estabrook, Greeley, CO, 2014 GSR, Streifen
4. Lisa Glander, Port Washington, WI, 1998, Daisy Bug
5. Mike Levy, CA, 2019 Convertible SE, Knewbug
6. Lee Caplan, Easton, MD, 2001 Sport ??
7. Bill Jinkins, Arlington, TX, 2002 1.8T, Skittles
8. Duane Bennett, Garland, TX, 2007, Abbie
9. Ana Hanmore, Rowlett, TX, 2018 Coast, Scarlett Jane, Texas caravan
10. Tom & Lisa Arnall, Eureka Springs, AR, 2003 GLX, Herbie, CENTRAL Caravan
11. Tonia Bennett, Garland, TX, 2013 Fender, Fynn, Texas Caravan
12. Adam Chavez, Hobbs, NM, 2015 Convertible, Lily
13. Kathy MacElwain, Las Vegas, NV, 2013, Ketch
14. Adam Chavez, Hobbs, NM, 2004 GLS, Notorious B.U.G.
15. L'Tisha Chavez, Hobbs, NM, 2006 GLS, Jodi
16. Amy DeMaio, Altamonte Springs, FL, 2018 Turbo, Luna
17. Tiffini Hohlmeier, Colorado Springs, CO, 1999 GLS, Snafu, CENTRAL Caravan
18. Gabriel Chavez, Roswell, NM, 2010, 2.5, Pooky
19. Linda Jeffries, Waldorf, MD, 2018, Dune
20. Joseph Dantonio, Mashpee, MA, 2006 Convertible, Bumble
21. John Miller, San Tan Valley, AZ, 2012 Turbo, Klaus
22. Chris Haze, Colorado Springs, CO, 1998 GLS, Magu
23. Jason Mathews, Redding CA, 2006 Convertible, Negan
24. Bianca Bryant, Ft. Worth TX, 2015 Convertible, Vicky, Texas
25. Ana Hanmore, Rowlett, TX, 2010 Sport, Laycee
26. Belinda Bierwirth, Roswell, NM, 2012, Daisy
27. Cameron Talley, Waco, TX, 2018 Green, Tyrannosaurus Bear
28. J. Wayne Bevers, Roswell, NM, 2002, Bumblebee
29. Mitch Perry, Groveland, FL, 1999 GLS, Speed Buggy, Texas Caravan
30. Shawn Henline, Bloomfield, IN, 2017 Turbo Green, Emmett Kelly Green, CENTRAL Caravan
31. George Santiago, Commerce City, CO, 2005 Domingo Edition, Domingo, CENTRAL Caravan
32. Terry and Anita Sanders, Medon, TN, 1998 2.0, Yellow Fever
33. Debbie Nye, Brookings, OR, 2013 TDI, Belle
34. Zoe Whitworth, Thrall, TX, 2018 Coast, Jetty
35. John & Laura Portzer, Galena, IL, 2002 Snap Orange, Cub Bug, CENTRAL Caravan
36. John Miller, San Tan Valley, AZ, 2012 Gray, Klaus
37. Karla Page, Parker, CO, 2004, Convertible, Lemonetta
38. Luke Hall, Ojai, CA, 2003 Convertible, Sky Pod, California Caravan
39. Ahlia Jimenez, Lake San Marcos, CA, 2010 Art, Nigel
40. Teresa Hazel, Indianapolis, IN, 2013, the TARDIS, CENTRAL Caravan
41. Coraline Inskeep, CA, 2000 custom, Ratchet Rachel
42. Robert Steinbauer, 2002 tdi, Yellow Ducky
43. Michelle Wittmer, Ponca City, OK, 2003, Chroma, The Moshi Mobile
44. Christy Lynch, Chandler, AZ, 2016 Orange, Peppurr
45. Justin & Laura Coker, Artesia, NM, 2018 Coast, Ruby
46. Sean Page, Elizabeth, CO, 2004 Turbo S, Rally
47. Laura Hanchett, Chandler, AZ, 2014 Red RLine, Ladebug
48. Arnoldo Sanchez, San Antonio, TX, 2014 RLine convertible, GRN-RS
49. Brenda Sheets, Alaska, no car
50. John Pritchett, Clovis, NM, 2015 Yellow
51. Vinson Garcia, Ft. Worth, TX, 2017 Yellow Dune Convertible, June Bug
52. Chad Jisko, Stevens Point, WI, 1999 Blue 2.0, Stank Bug
53. Shawn Gilmore, Waco, TX, 2012 multicolour, Mojo
54. Tina & Bobby Ferrill, Ponca City, OK, 1999 Blue, 2Hott
55. Jerry Ohara, Gahanna, OH, 1999 1.8, Herbie

·
Registered
2 Posts
If there had been an R2K every year since the first then 2019 would be the 20th event but the 20th anniversary will be in 2020. Perhaps that would be a better target year?

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Very Interesting.....

Cheeto may have to make an appearance in Roswell. Nice that the dates are set in advance for planning purposes.

Chuckie

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there had been an R2K every year since the first then 2019 would be the 20th event but the 20th anniversary will be in 2020. Perhaps that would be a better target year?
I'm not sure of the exact semantics, but Antoine knows.
Whatever the math, it'll be fun in 2019!

Howie

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
May.....

I only say "May" show up due to silly medical issues I am plagued with that hit me without warning. As of this moment we are planning on making the trip and looking at riding the Million Dollar Highway as a detour on the way home.

We may also see who wants to tag along from the SE region for the caravan out with us. Not sure of the route for the return yet.

Been a while since we have broiled during the day, frozen at night and battled the flies at dinner! I kinda miss Roswell!

Chuckie

·
got NB Toys?
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I only say "May" show up due to silly medical issues I am plagued with that hit me without warning. As of this moment we are planning on making the trip and looking at riding the Million Dollar Highway as a detour on the way home.

We may also see who wants to tag along from the SE region for the caravan out with us. Not sure of the route for the return yet.

Been a while since we have broiled during the day, frozen at night and battled the flies at dinner! I kinda miss Roswell!

Chuckie
I hope everyone stays healthy and can make it!
With all the new generation of people that have just bought NBs there should be a lot of excitement again in Roswell, even with the heat! I didn't notice flies though...

Howie

·
Super Moderator
14,709 Posts
I am going to start making plans. I want to meet all of my Beetle friends!

·
My lil fallen Angel <3
1,099 Posts
You know I’ll be there!!!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts