NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was hoping for some guidance on a 2000 2.0 UK spec beetle.

Its developed a noticeable rumble when driving ( which increases in speed), it would appear to be a bearing although spinning the wheel doesn't make any noise so not sure which side it could be.

However, if I rock the offside (right hand) wheel by placing my hands at 9 and 3 o'clock there seems to be a lot of play at the steering rack end.

Also, more importantly if I rotate the same wheel in both directions there seems to be a noticeable amount of 'backlash' or slack which seems to be at the transmission end.

The other wheel (near side) has none of these issues.

So my question is this normal on these cars ?

I am not sure if the 'backlash' is due to a worn inner CV joint which is also causing the rumbling noise!

I don't have anything to compare it too.

Thanks in advance

Paul

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I think a worn CV joint would cause the rumble that you describe. Sounds like your inner tie rod end is worn as well. You should probably go ahead and replace the driveshafts and tie rods.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing drive shaft

Hi Red99

many thanks for the reply - should I expect the same amount of play in the wheel on both sides do you know ?

Or is it that each wheel is different. I ask because its quite a lot of play and cant see how it can be all done to bearing wear !

Are they difficult to replace - never done one myself

Thanks for your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts