NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No wire harness, Help !! Trying to install aftermarket headunit

So in the beetle i recently bought was a aftermarket headunit which blew out after I bought it. It was old so i took it out. Came to find out the previous owner cut the wires and spliced them instead of buying a harness / adapter.

Now i am faced with like 25 wires and have to hard wire it myself. I have what the colors should be. However there are like 3 red wires coming out that are thicker gauge with constant 12 volt.

What ive found so far:
3 thick gauge red wires that are constant 12 V
the ground wire which was a tan color
Now i need the rest. and they arnt matching up as they should. It says a grey / blue wire is the illumination wire which doesnt make it illuminate. it only illuminates if i just run the illumination wire from the head unit to the constant 12v.

The red / yellow wire which is supposed to hook up to the ignition switch is not turning the radio on or off with the key.

I seem to be overwhelmed and any help or suggestions will be great.

its a 1999 beetle , not sure what type of headunit came with the car. it does have pillar speakers as ive read come in the premium sound system ? not to sure.

Any help is appreciated. Ill reward whoever leads me to victory !!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So ive connected as follows with the following result

Bold is Car wiring
Non bold is headunits universal color code system

Tan to Black (ground)

Thick Red wire to Yellow ( Constant 12v)

Red/Yellow to Red(switched 12v)

Grey/Blue to orange/white ( illumination )

Nothing happens besides stereo makes noise cause it is getting the power from teh 12volt.

To make it light up i have to touch the switched 12 volt to a constant 12v wire as well as the illumination.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can someone look at the aftermarket plug and see which wires are going in and the corrisponding wires coming out to the new headunit.

Please :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
I think there was only one choice of stereo for the 1999 model year. From the factory, yours would've been equipped with a cassette deck. Later on Monsoon was offered, which had its tweeters in the dash as opposed to the pillars.

As for your wiring dilemma, I don't have my Bentley manual with me at the moment, but I did a Google search and the first diagram on this page may be what you're looking for? Just be sure to close the question box on the page when you open the link below, so you can scroll down the page.

Hopefully someone who can get to their Bentley faster than I can or who knows the stereo ins-n-outs of these cars can verify that first diagram for you.

1999 VW beetle: aftermarket..AC..blowing hot..the EPC light came - JustAnswer

Good Luck! :compute:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that wiring diagram on there is completely differnt from what ive found online. Im going to try that tonight. I will report back !!

thanks man !!

other opininions still welcome !!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well i tried

the headunits constant hot yellow wire to the only constant hot wire i could find which was just red

the black ground to a tan colored wire i found to be a ground.

the red wire from the head unit no matter what i connect it to will not turn the headunit on.

however if i put it to another constant 12v the headunit will turn on.

am i going to have to run my own wire to a switched 12v?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
No need to apologize for your "newbness". I'll be the first to admit that 12V wiring is far from my area of expertise, but I thought I'd try to help, and, perhaps I'll learn something out of this. The forums are here for us to ask and answer questions. :)

If I'm reading the diagram correctly, it appears that your switched power should be a brown/red wire, which on the Bentley diagram is labeled as "D", br/ro . It appears that it's fused by a 10 amp fuse?According to my diagram of the fuse panel, you have two fuses for the radio system, 37 and 42, which I believe is switched and always on, respectively. I'm going on a limb here and I'm really not trying to be smart, but could it be that the switched fuse is blown? Again, I'm not by any means a car wiring guy, so I could very well be way off. Anyone else?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeh there 2 brown and red wires and fuse 37 is a 10 amp. The fuse isnt blown and the 2 brown wires give me 0volts with the multimeter when the car is on. :(

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
The yellow and red should be from the 10 amp fuse (fuse 37)It comes from the switch so it should be hot with the key on.

I am on break and need to get back, I will look at the wiring some more tonight.

Yeah these German wiring diagrams are fun :rolleyes:

I will try and get some pictures of my connectors so we can see what its supposed to look like.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok so i tested some things with a multimeter again.

The red/yellow wire is acting as a ground. Sooooooo is it possible theres a short somewhere ?

Its supposed to be a switched 12v right ?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This might be useful??

http://elsaweb.spaghetticoder.org/nav/EN/VW/Beetle/1C/1/

Make sure you look at both the "Infotainment" section as well as the wiring diagram.

I would see about getting an OEM head unit, you can possibly get a newer version head unit with a CD/MP3 player and most can support Aux input as well.

Usually less than $200 if you search around.

You also need to find out if you car has a Monsoon system, not sure '99 had Monsoon?

So the only difference in the head unit from '99-2010 are Monsoon or non Monsoon from my understanding.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok so i ended up running my own wire behind the dash to the x75 connecter on the relay panel. THis is a switched line and connected that to the switched 12v on my headunit and it works as planned.

I really dont know if this car had a switched line. I really hunted. If anyone else needs more detail for the same problem just say so !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts