VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2002 1.8T w/ 186,000 miles on it. Runs good. Been doing little things like oil change, taillight etc.
Then the check engine light comes on after 3 weeks of owning it. Take it to O'Reilly's and it throws a code for the air pump.
Common on these. So I take it to my mechanic. He goes to verify the code.
Holy Moly!
More than just the pump comes up! 9 things come up on his machine. Everything from ECU not coded properly to secondary injection to
supply voltage and more! He doesn't want to even touch it. Called it a 'Bag of Worms'.
Now, if the ECU is showing not coded properly, that would flag all kinds of things wrong, Right? After all, it is the brain of everything.
It runs fine, plenty of power, no sluggishness etc.
I have an appointment at the local VW Dealer on the 7th of next month. I know, they are going to rape me but I want this done right
with the correct parts and diagnosis.
This car is for my daughter for Christmas and I can't give her a piece of junk that needs a ton of work.

Do you think the ECU would be the best place to start? That is my thought. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Without seeing the actual codes I would guess that they are old codes that were never cleared. Clear them and see what comes back.

Get your own vw scanner, preferably a vcds so you don’t have to rely on the rapist.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Without seeing the actual codes I would guess that they are old codes that were never cleared. Clear them and see what comes back.

Get your own vw scanner, preferably a vcds so you don’t have to rely on the rapist.
My mechanic did clear it, took it for a drive then checked it again. Same codes came up. That's why he doesn't want to even get into it.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Don't freak out! However, getting a VW specific scan tool, can bring sanity to your situation and allow you to work things out, do your own repairs. The initial investment, will save you thousands in repairs and will definitely pay for itself and a trip to the VW dealer will most likely, end up being thousands of dollars in "needed repairs", which may or may not be needed or can be repaired by yourself, using high quality oem parts and really not cost that much to fix. Keep in mind, most VW dealerships; are over $100 an hour labor at this point and it doesn't take much to add up to a ton of dough!

For quality oem parts with a lifetime warranty and free shipping, check out: www.fcpeuro.com

What you might do, is to go ahead and take it to the VW dealer, for a "free inspection", that VW offers and then, report back here, ALL of the repairs, maintenance, they say it needs and then, we can help you work through things, do a "triage" of sorts, work your way down the list. NOTE: this is of NO COST to you! Remember, you are under NO OBLIGATION: to have any work done but they should give you a detailed inspection and estimate for repairs.

I highly recommend investing in a VW specific scan tool; VCDS by Ross Tech being the best solution and then, there is OBDEleven, which uses a phone or tablet to run on.

Ross Tech VCDS: latest V2 cable and software:

OBDEleven: wireless dongle:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't freak out! However, getting a VW specific scan tool, can bring sanity to your situation and allow you to work things out, do your own repairs. The initial investment, will save you thousands in repairs and will definitely pay for itself and a trip to the VW dealer will most likely, end up being thousands of dollars in "needed repairs", which may or may not be needed or can be repaired by yourself, using high quality oem parts and really not cost that much to fix. Keep in mind, most VW dealerships; are over $100 an hour labor at this point and it doesn't take much to add up to a ton of dough!

For quality oem parts with a lifetime warranty and free shipping, check out: www.fcpeuro.com

What you might do, is to go ahead and take it to the VW dealer, for a "free inspection", that VW offers and then, report back here, ALL of the repairs, maintenance, they say it needs and then, we can help you work through things, do a "triage" of sorts, work your way down the list. NOTE: this is of NO COST to you! Remember, you are under NO OBLIGATION: to have any work done but they should give you a detailed inspection and estimate for repairs.

I highly recommend investing in a VW specific scan tool; VCDS by Ross Tech being the best solution and then, there is OBDEleven, which uses a phone or tablet to run on.

Ross Tech VCDS: latest V2 cable and software:

OBDEleven: wireless dongle:

@billymade I wish I could work on it here! Seems the property mgmt. company states that vehicle repair is not allowed here. Not even an oil change. My wife just happens to be the top accountant for the company and I would get her in serious trouble. Even the HOA says no vehicle repair on the property. I'm screwed. So I guess all the money saved in reduced rent just flew out the window for car repairs. AND IT GETS WORSE. My 96 Camry has a check engine light come on too. Welcome to 2022 where my cars take a dump. I should sell both cars and get an old school Dodge Power Wagon 4X4. No computer, easy to work on and good ol' fashioned American parts abound.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts
Did you get the code numbers? If not, I would see if you could get them and post them here. We can help you figure out what might be the issues you are chasing.

I also would try to find a local VW mechanic vs the dealer. They don't know cars of this vintage well anymore and proper diagnosis may not really happen. I've heard of a lot of parts cannoning at cars this age at the dealers now.

Reactions: billymade

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you get the code numbers? If not, I would see if you could get them and post them here. We can help you figure out what might be the issues you are chasing.

I also would try to find a local VW mechanic vs the dealer. They don't know cars of this vintage well anymore and proper diagnosis may not really happen. I've heard of a lot of parts cannoning at cars this age at the dealers

I also would try to find a local VW mechanic vs the dealer. They don't know cars of this vintage well anymore and proper diagnosis may not really happen. I've heard of a lot of parts cannoning at cars this age at the dealers now.
Here are the codes provided to me. PO411, PO420, P1556, P1297, 00519, 01218, 00532, 65535 and 01044. I think flashing the computer and starting over would be a good start.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,480 Posts

I couldn't find the one code (00532) but all others are here. Looks like you do have a lot codes relating to power. How old is the battery? Could just be a battery issue. Or maybe a ground needs to be cleaned up. Otherwise, looks like the SAI code (which you already knew about) and one for the O2 sensor/cat. And a few relating to boost issues - could be a bad N75 or DV. I don't think most of these would be too bad to fix. The fact that your mechanic won't touch it is odd to me. Nothing looks too over the top.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I couldn't find the one code (00532) but all others are here. Looks like you do have a lot codes relating to power. How old is the battery? Could just be a battery issue. Or maybe a ground needs to be cleaned up. Otherwise, looks like the SAI code (which you already knew about) and one for the O2 sensor/cat. And a few relating to boost issues - could be a bad N75 or DV. I don't think most of these would be too bad to fix. The fact that your mechanic won't touch it is odd to me. Nothing looks too over the top.
I just put a new battery in it. Old one wouldn't hold a charge. Then a week later the CEL comes on. The car runs great! Strong power, not sluggish, no limp mode, very responsive throttle.. I am confused. I did look up each code and it makes no sense as 'symptoms' mention things that it doesn't have.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Please tell me you didn’t take it to a stealership.
Sadly, I have to. My mechanic wont touch it. The other 5 I called today said that the code 01044 ( ECU improper coding ) said that would be the first thing to do and none of them
have the computer to do that. AND, they all said that is probably the first thing to address. Once that is figured out then any other codes can be tackled or that may clear up all the
screwy codes it's throwing. Jan 7th it's going to the stealership.

·
Registered
16,162 Posts
Time to invest in a VW scan tool; it will probably pay for itself, the first time you use it. If you are going to keep this car long term; you might want to find a independent shop, that specializes in VW's, if you cannot or will not, fix things yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Time to invest in a VW scan tool; it will probably pay for itself, the first time you use it. If you are going to keep this car long term; you might want to find a independent shop, that specializes in VW's, if you cannot or will not, fix things yourself.
Even the VW shops I called cannot reprogram the computer and all mechanics I called yesterday told me that would be step one to see what is really going on.
I'll get a scan tool after the first of the year as I have spent way too much this year. I wish I could work on it here but the property mgmt. wont allow car repairs on the property and
my wife happens to work at the mgmt. company in a high ranking position.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts