VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy Doody all my fellow vw enthusiasts
I have recently acquired a 00 beetle with a 1.8t. Needed a trans and couldn't pass the car up as it being for free. Sooooo I go about pulling the engine out and replacing the trans, timing belt, water pump as well as resealing the engine, new oil pan, turbo gaskets and doing the SAI delete and evap and emission delete. Car was running great yesterday and CEL light was on. Scanned it and came across the following codes. 00283, 65535, 00290, 00287, 00283 and the wonderful 00668. Just curious on how and where the heck to start. You all are awesome for any response.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
That is allot of codes; you might clear them first and do a test drive, see what comes back. Keep in mind, the ecu memory; will store the codes, even from previous issues or history, until they are manual cleared. Many times, you will get trouble codes thrown; when you tear things apart or disconnect things without the battery being disconnected or when you reconnect everything, accidently, leave some things unplugged, then have to reconnect it back up.

Report back, what you find and we can go from there. Thanks.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is allot of codes; you might clear them first and do a test drive, see what comes back. Keep in mind, the ecu memory; will store the codes, even from previous issues or history, until they are manual cleared. Many times, you will get trouble codes thrown; when you tear things apart or disconnect things without the battery being disconnected or when you reconnect everything, accidently, leave some things unplugged, then have to reconnect it back up.

Report back, what you find and we can go from there. Thanks.
Cleared codes, took it for a quick pull up the shoulder. When applying throttle is bogs down and tries to shut off. pulled it back into my shop and scanned it again and is coming up with completly diff codes this time 🤦 16497, 16621, 18000, 16486, and 18047

·
5/23/10 <3
11,304 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Probably electrical related. Are the grounds good and clean? How is the battery?

Hey thanks for the heads up. The grounds are good and clean. I cleaned them before i put the motor back in. Battery is new. I went through and checked all fuses, they also are all good as well.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
With a 2000, depending on where you are there is likely to be rust issues. Under the battery tray are several grounds. The screws/bolts holding the grounds tend to rust off up north here. You might try pulling the battery and battery tray and cleaning up those grounds, make them shiny and reattach them. If it works it’s a cheap fix.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I’m thinking since you had the engine out that you either have a grounding rust issue as I suggested or forgot to reattach a wire....somewhere, probably a ground, or loosened/knocked one loose. All those codes seem to be sensor related and that seems a bit unusual.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m thinking since you had the engine out that you either have a grounding rust issue as I suggested or forgot to reattach a wire....somewhere, probably a ground, or loosened/knocked one loose. All those codes seem to be sensor related and that seems a bit unusual.
Yea im up in good ol Maryland. Im thinking that there is def an issue with a sensor or something. I think im goin to pull it in the shop and pull the front end off and un plug the wiring harness and find a good diagram and start all over again. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With a 2000, depending on where you are there is likely to be rust issues. Under the battery tray are several grounds. The screws/bolts holding the grounds tend to rust off up north here. You might try pulling the battery and battery tray and cleaning up those grounds, make them shiny and reattach them. If it works it’s a cheap fix.
So after removing the harness and double checking everything i cleaned the ground til they were shining. but i have noticed that there isnt a wire for the right hand knock sensor. I have check re checked and double checked myself and there just isnt one. Im at a loss with this thing grrrrrrr

1 - 13 of 13 Posts