VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , my Aunt's bug is smoking in first and second and a visual check looks like an injector may be leaking. O Riley's recommended replacing all four but I think that is balderdash. You diesel folks are in the know here so what do you think. Me I would just put new injector seals in it and try that first. She lives 700 miles from me though and I'm not there to work on it. I think replacing all the injectors is a cash grab for this o Riley fella. Tks Bart

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, which engine is the car; a 1.8t or. 1.9L tdi (you are posting in the 1.8t forum)? I wouldn't replace injectors; until you test them, it is also possible that the injectors could be cleaned to fix the problem (if in fact they are leaking or clogged). I would also; want to scan the car for trouble codes with a vw compatible scan tool. On YouTube; some guys have rigged up their own testing and cleaning setups, to fix or troubleshoot injector issues.

https://www.google.com/search?q=you...urceid=chrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US

Whenever; you remove fuel injectors, you definitely should replace the seals, they will leak if you reuse the old ones. Use a high quality gaskets/seals like Felpro or Victor Reinz.

Another issue; is the injector seats themselves, they are made out of plastic and are known to crack and that causes leaks. Aftermarket companies; have made metal versions, that replace the failure prone stock plastic versions. So, after you remove the injectors; I would check the seats for cracks as well.

Verdict Motorsports, one of a number of vendors that make these billet injector seat upgrade kits:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5814192-Verdict-Motorsports-Billet-Injector-Cups

Until you remove and test the injectors; you won't know what is wrong. If the car is smoking and it is a turbo engine, it may not be the injectors causing the problem but a bad turbo, head gasket or who knows what else. The car needs testing and troubleshooting to find the problem.

If in fact the injectors are leaking: I would pull all of them; clean, test, to make sure they are working correctly (make a diy cleaner hose setup like on YouTube), replace any that are and after cleaning, check, replace any injector seats that are cracked, replace all the seals and put it back together. After that; check for any leaks with the engine running; if all is ok, take it for a test drive and see if it still smokes. If it still smokes after a substantial test drive; I would test for a bad head gasket and remove the hose to the turbo, see if the impeller is damaged or has too much play.

We have not had many members here with fuel injector failures but as these cars get older; I suppose anything is possible. On VWVORTEX; people seems to have and cracked fuel injector seats, however.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts