VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.
I m new on this forum (posting) but i really read a lot of posts. With your help i solved a lot of problems. thanks.
I have a 00 VW new beetle car, 1.8T AHP engine, i had a several problems with it, i changed distribution belt, exhaust and intake valves, and finally runs fine, but when i drive it for one hour some dash light came on. First i think was the temperature, but i connected a OBDII scanner and temperatura is OK (80 – 90 C) and if i keep driving it 2 or 3 minutes later lights turn off. Oil, abs, airbag and check engine turns on and blink, but any fault code show up on OBDII scanner, engine runs perfectly, power is perfect, no strange sound show up, just that 4 ligths blinking.What can i do?
:(

·
Registered
15,841 Posts
I'm having a hard time understanding what you are saying; please confirm:

2000 New Beetle 1.8T:

1. you rebuilt the head; because of a bad timing belt failure?

2. you installed a rebuilt head with new head gaskets, new bolts, and replaced the timing belt and waterpump?

3. you have a 1.8T AHP engine code; I am not aware of a AHP engine code, do you mean APH?

4. You have a light coming on and blinking; can you identify the light?

Here is a list of the different lights in the speedo cluster and what they mean:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/2-0-liter-gas/39141-where-can-i-find-warning-light-diagram.html

5. here are the coolant temp lights and their modes:

Blue coolant light = engine cold
Flashing blue coolant light = fault in the coolant monitoring system
Flashing red coolant light = low on coolant
Steady red coolant light = engine overheating, pull over and stop engine IMMEDIATELY and do not run until the problem has been identified.

4. four lights are blinking:

When it this happening? When the car is running or off?

Oil, abs, airbag and check engine lights?

a. if this happens when the car is off but the ignition switch is in the "on" position, you might have a low battery. When the battery is low; the dash will blink and make a clicking sound, at that low level of battery energy, the car usually won't turn over. If that is the case; charge the battery and get the whole charging system checked, make sure it is working as it should be.

b. if this is happening; when the car is running, you might want to scan the car with a VW specific scan tool. The speedo clusters are known to fail and it is possible, that it might be damaged and need repaired. I would check out the VAG 401 scan tool on amazon.com and scan the car for trouble codes.

c. you might; just try doing a hard reset of the ecu and see if that helps. Remove the battery cables; touch the pos/neg cables for 30 seconds and reinstall them on the battery. This will reset the ecu and might help.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My gut reaction is this may be an electrical problem.

Anything from a bad battery, charging system problem, bad ground or a problem with the wiring in the fuse box on top of the battery.

I would start by checking the fuse box on top of the battery for overheated/melt connections. These should be very obvious on visual inspection and are a quite common problem.

The check the charging Voltage and maybe have the battery checked at the local parts store, they usually do this for free.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, i really apreciate it.
Sorry for my english.

1.- Yes, i rebuilt cylinder head because a timing belt and chain failure.
2.- i installed a new gasket, valves , bolts, timing belt, chain tensonier, water pump and valves seals
3.- engine 1.8 T APH
4.- 4 ligths coming on and blinking while engine car is running (one hour later). The lights are Oil pressure (red) ABS (yellow) Airbag (yellow) and check engine (yellow)
5.- There is not a specific time when ligth coming on, some times is when engines is idling, sometime uphill, sometimes whem engine is hot, sometimes when is cold.

I was driving with my OBDII scanner conected, the alternator charge increase and decrease form 12.8V to 14 V but i can realized any patron to light comming on and blink

Thanks a lot for all your advice, i will try it tomorrow, is very exciting when hard or strange problem show up. I learn a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Coolant Temp Sensor color

What color is your coolant temp sensor? My car actually did the exact same thing years ago, Turned out to be a coolant temp sensor. I also just watched a pod cast of the humble mechanic last night(an old one just looking though his site because I just watched a different video of his). This pod cast mentioned all the issues he saw that were related to the bad temp sensor and mentioned all of yours. Even noted they still replace the green top ones every now and then even though those are not bad ones. Being the car is at least 16 years old the sensor could still be bad.(I have replaced mine at least 4 times, they are not that expensive and fix a lot of ecu/cluster issues)

Ron

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
Have you checked to see what codes are coming up?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Yes, i tried with two different OBDII scanner, any one shows any fault code :(:(:(:(:(
Standard OBDII scan tools WILL NOT show anything other than engine and transmission related codes.

You MUST have a tool that supports ABS and Airbags.

There are some reasonably priced units on the market.

VAG401 on Amazon for around $50

http://www.amazon.com/Xtool-Vag401-...ie=UTF8&qid=1455120631&sr=8-3&keywords=vag401

Or the Schwaben VAG tool for about $200

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES2996394...m71eSY5mb-8GV88Q50GRgapTNvg5EzUgqsxoCcOLw_wcB

Or you could look at Ross Tech VCDS, HOWEVER, this is PC based and can sometimes be a challenge to get up and working and you should have a laptop with a decent battery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, today I drive my car and measure alternator voltage at the same time and voltage decrease to 12.3 V and increase to 14 V randomly, I take the car to repair the alternator, (no matters if the mechanic said the alternator is OK) tomorrow i ll drive it and see if the problem persists

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, as a feedback i wil tell you how i solved my problem. well, a lot of tiny problems got together, first one, was a leak in oil pressure sensor, after that, was a temperature problem (engine overheated and the oil got so thin and pressure down) because fans did not kick unitl 90 C, now kicks at 65 C and every thing is ok! Sorry for my ganma errors!!!! thanks you por yours advices!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts