NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
Just picked up my first ever volkswagen. 2008 Volkswagen Beetle with 2.5L engine.

What is the choice of motor oil? I hear good things about LiquiMoly and have also heard great things about Klondike motor oil.

Thoughts from the experts here would be great 馃憤

Thanks everyone.

Registered
At the bare minimum; you want a oil, that meets or exceeds, the VW specification for your particular engine. In that case, pick a brand you like; then, go to their website and use their online oil selector (e.g. year, model, brand, vehicle, etc), to find the right oil for your car, that meets the VW spec.

Beyond, a VW spec motor oil; there are top tier oils, that have superior thermal breakdown characteristics and these tend to maintain their visconsity, under harsh conditions and extended service interval time frames.

I used Mobil 1 for years but found; that it would break down and cause my 1.8T, to start using oil. I have since, switched to Amsoil and noticed, a marked improvement, in how my engine runs, visconsity breakdown issues disappeared and the service change interval is much higher, thus the cost is spread out over time, which ends up being similar to the lower priced synthetic oils. This probably sounds, like some lame commercial/sales pitch but everytime I change my oil, I cannot believe the difference, fresh Amsoil makes to the running of my engine; a audible reduction in running noise is noted, it idles, runs smoother and when I take a onramp to the highway, I reach higher speeds easier, I don't have to mash down the accelerator pedal, like one normally has to (the oil is just "slippery'ier" (if there is such a word!); things just run smoother with less friction with the metal parts. I have heard great things about Liquimoly but have not tried it yet; look at some of the sites and youtube videos, where they rate the various brands, in particular their ability to maintain oil viscosity over time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts