NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
75 year old car nut
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a '99 NB, 2.0 that has burned a quart every 1000 miles since new. I've been told by the dealer many times that "a quart per 1000 miles is normal", it now has 116,000 on it so I've gone thru a lot of oil!!!!!
I've read that their's a rumor that the 1999, and early 2000 2.0 engines had someone assembling the rings on the pistons upside-down??? does anyone have any proof that may have happened, and do all years, 2001-2002-2003, etc also have the blowby problem.
My mass airflow had to be cleaned a few times because of blowby.See below from a Jetta site.

I just pulled up 2 VW tech bulletins, #1705-02, June "05 titled "oil consumption guidelines"
and #1301-01 July "01 titled "cylinder de-glazing, and ring replacement.
Anyone seen whats in them?
See below from a Jetta site.

They shouldnt be, but for the certain early model mk4's with the issue its normal. The 99's like mine and i think maybe the 2,000's had a problem where the piston rings where installed wrong, maybe upside down or somthing along the line causing the oil to burn at around 1 quart every thousand miles or so. If your still under warranty the dealer should rebuild it as their is a TSB out for it, but its up to the dealer. Mine refused to and my warranty ran out so i was pretty much scumbagged. Just keep throwing that quart in there every thousand or so miles.

Earl:mad:

I replaced the alternator on the 3rd, and have only driven it a few miles. The ABS light was on when I restarted the car after the repair, it went out after about 500 feet, I went to a Harbor Freight, and when I came out and started the car the ABS light was on, again for only a few feet, and it hasn't come back on. I'll keep you informed, but perhaps that solved the problem?????
Earl

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
At that rate, you don't need to change the oil, just the filter! :D
I just, a year and 10k miles ago, bought my first 2.0L, an '05. My previous ones were 1.8Ts, so I have no experience with the early 2.0L.Your experience is unbelievable! On this one, oil level is down 1 qt in 10k miles, due for an oil change.

As the 2000 2.0L was the AEG, used from the inception of the NB. I would assume this problem probably went away with the discontinuence of the engine during the 2001 MY. This is the first I have heard about this "rumor" here on the Org. I'm afraid I could have never dealt with what you have. If I couldn't have shoved it back down their throat under the "lemon laws", it would be long gone.

MORAV

MORAV

·
Registered
11,582 Posts
This link; seems to be the "typical" fix that I have heard about over the years; new set of rings... with the oil consumption testing showing over the limit and VWOA giving the go ahead when under warranty. Seems to fix some people's oil consumption issues;

VWVortex.com - Oil Consumption Fix for 2.0L! (semi-repost)

This quote seems to coincide with what you mentioned: "It is a known issue with 2.0 engines built between 2000 and 2001.5. The cause is faulty piston rings. Some say that they were mislabled and installed incorrectly at the factory. Whatever the reason, the cause is the rings.

·
Every one calls me Fuzzy
859 Posts
I also have a 99 NB and yes I burn through the oil. I have tried using different treatments from the parts store and nothing helps. I have not tried the 5-40 but I am over due for an oil change and think I will give it a shot. Who knows it will fix it or at least help. I wish I could help with our roublem but I have heard this romor as well and from people that fixed it. The ones I talked to that fixed it said tha:Dt there is one that is put in wrong and he replaced all the rings and problem solved. I have only had NB fir about 2a years but after my first oil change I was burning oil at a rate about the same as yours. Got to love a NB

·
Kaylee Bug
366 Posts
The 2001 2.0 does not appear to have that issue. That or a previous owner changed out the rings. I have never had a car with cleaner oil and I never lose any between oil changes.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,920 Posts
The oil consumption problem was found on many of the early 2.0L engines (AEG engine code). Yes, the 1 qt per 1k was/is considered normal by VW on these engines and nothing was ever really done about it by VW. I've heard the piston ring rumor many times over the years. Not sure if anyone has been able to prove it or not though. And its not a problem in all AEGs. Mine was fantastic and barely used a drop between changes. I think I had to top up once between changes in the 6 1/2 years I had my car. Make sure you are using the right oil for the car and just check the level often. Unless you want to pull the motor and replace rings. But that will cost you more than buying oil will.

·
75 year old car nut
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Synthetic oil?

This link; seems to be the "typical" fix that I have heard about over the years; new set of rings... with the oil consumption testing showing over the limit and VWOA giving the go ahead when under warranty. Seems to fix some people's oil consumption issues;

VWVortex.com - Oil Consumption Fix for 2.0L! (semi-repost)

This quote seems to coincide with what you mentioned: "It is a known issue with 2.0 engines built between 2000 and 2001.5. The cause is faulty piston rings. Some say that they were mislabled and installed incorrectly at the factory. Whatever the reason, the cause is the rings.
I don't feel I'ts my responsibility to use 5-7 dollar a quart oil to solve VW's problem. I just had a conversation with a VW customer service rep, and was told "to bad, but it's out of warrentee", so I'm too late. she offered me a courtesy discount on a new car, and I told her where she could put it.:mad:

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I don't feel I'ts my responsibility to use 5-7 dollar a quart oil to solve VW's problem. I just had a conversation with a VW customer service rep, and was told "to bad, but it's out of warrentee", so I'm too late. she offered me a courtesy discount on a new car, and I told her where she could put it.:mad:
You say this has been going on since day one, new. Have you documented evidence that this problem was reviewed during the warranty period? If so, I would contact your Dealer and tell them you want to arrange a meeting with the District Service Rep the next time he is out to the Dealership. Have your ducks all in a road.

And I'll suggest to you, and to all, who have problems and want to talk to someone and vent, don't! Write, and I don't mean write an email, I mean hand write or type a letter with a real signature, and mail it. Not even necessary that it be certified. Just be tactful, factual, and to the point. Don't offer a phone number or an email address, make them respond in kind. A different caliber of people deal with written complaints, and you're not so likely to be blown off, or given bad information. With a phone call, it's a he said, she said situation, and performance is measured by how many calls they handle in a day. Putting something in writing requires more diligence (on both parts) as is a permanent record. My mother taught me this, many years ago, when I was a child. She was a letter writer, and always gained positive ground, whether it was a complaint about a product or a suggestion about how to improve something. I do the same thing, always being tactful, and it works.

M.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ducks in a road????:D Think you better put them in a *row*

Anyway, my 02 Beetle burns a qt every thousand miles also. Have tried different grades of oil both regular and synthetic-no change. When under warranty no help from dealer. My sisters 03 beetle doesnt burn a drop-go figure.Oh well a few bucks every thousand miles is no big deal to me. The car is 11 years old.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Ducks in a road????:D Think you better put them in a *row*

Anyway, my 02 Beetle burns a qt every thousand miles also. Have tried different grades of oil both regular and synthetic-no change. When under warranty no help from dealer. My sisters 03 beetle doesnt burn a drop-go figure.Oh well a few bucks every thousand miles is no big deal to me. The car is 11 years old.
Okay, row, if you wish. :p

So... this problem wasn't limited to the AEG? Or has yours just gotten worse with age (mileage)? As would be expected with engine wear.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts