NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Come on guys, we're not talking about oil changes? Does anyone own a camera? The "skid" plate is a pain. Do we all pay someone to do this? There's nothing on youtube. Unbelievable. HELP.

·
Peace Love & T.o.D.
2,802 Posts
All it is a few torque screws. If the car is on a lift they are in plane site and easy to remove. This piece of plastic is called a splash shield. Let me do some digging, there has to be a diy somewhere.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
What's to talk about? Remove the "skid" plate, take off the filter, drain the oil, put the plug back (with a new gasket if you like), install new larger Passat filter (pre-filled, of course), replace "skid" plate, refill with 5w40 synthetic.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
At least on my convertible which has the metal skip plate, there are 7 small Torx, 6 triple square/XZN bits and 2-16mm? hex bolts.

I can take my skip plate off in my sleep now. I can get it off in under 5 minutes.

I use a Mobil 1 M1-301 oil filter on my car, oversize filter and 5 quarts of Castrol Edge 5W40 which is VW 505 00 approved.

Make sure the thermostat is also operating properly as well, 205F at idle after about 10 minutes of driving.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
oil change

I don't think there is a DIY on oil changing because it's so simple that nobody has the courage to make one and embarras themselves..LOL :p In a scale of one to ten where 10 is the hardest I believe the oil change is a 1 or 2 simplicity.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
What's to talk about? Remove the "skid" plate, take off the filter, drain the oil, put the plug back (with a new gasket if you like), install new larger Passat filter (pre-filled, of course), replace "skid" plate, refill with 5w40 synthetic.
This. Not sure what is such a pain :confused: Couple screws for the skid plate. No biggie.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
step 1: check oil level
step 2: remove oil cap
step 3: jack up car
step 4: take skid plate off
step 5: remove oil plug
step 6: loosen filter
step 7: replace crush washer
step 8: take oil filter off
step 9: rub new oil on rubber gasket of new filter
step 10: replace oil filter till snug, then 1/4 turn
step 11: tighten oil drain plug
step 12: replace skid plate
step 13: lower car down
step 14: pour new oil in using funnel
step 15: tighten oil cap
step 16: start car and check for oil light to stay off
step 17: look for leaks under car
step 18: turn car off
step 19: check oil level

am i forgetting anything? lol.. besides beer and hotdogs?

-jd

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Glad you caught this, I was going to ask you to add this if you did not include it.

20. Pour used oil in sturdy containers for recycling and drain oil filter in funnel for recycling or disposal.

21. Clean windows and vacuum car.

22. Enjoy the fact you saved some cash and take good care of your car.

·
Lucille
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys

Forgive me, you can read my frustration. I came in from one heck of a day, up at 3 am for work. Climbed under car. Didn't expect the filter to be obscured by shield. I don't own ramps/jacks, and there you have it. I had taken shield clips loose and there by disabled car for am drive. Just too tired for the task. Today is a new day. Thanks for not calling me the jerk I sounded like.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
caution

step 1: check oil level
step 2: remove oil cap
step 3: jack up car
step 4: take skid plate off
step 5: remove oil plug
step 6: loosen filter
step 7: replace crush washer
step 8: take oil filter off
step 9: rub new oil on rubber gasket of new filter
step 10: replace oil filter till snug, then 1/4 turn
step 11: tighten oil drain plug
step 12: replace skid plate
step 13: lower car down
step 14: pour new oil in using funnel
step 15: tighten oil cap
step 16: start car and check for oil light to stay off
step 17: look for leaks under car
step 18: turn car off
step 19: check oil level

-jd
A note of CAUTION Is not to overtighten the drain plug because lots and lots of newbie rookie mistakes have stripped threads on those. It's best to torque to specs

IMO-you don't need to replace the crush washer everytime, I replace mine once every 5-6 oil changes and have had no leak problems.

·
Wife's 01 1.8T mechanic
629 Posts
I agree with both points. When wife's car was still under warranty, the dealership cross threaded the pan, requiring replacement. I did all oil changes after that. I also don't change gaskets on the drain, it never leaks. If and when it drips, I'll throw on a new gasket.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
if memory serves me correct (been 6 years) i think the torque specs for the drain plug is 35 ft/lbs.

man we are nuking the hell out of this thread. let it die or archive it!!!

-jd

1 - 15 of 15 Posts