NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully used a "Top Sider" to extract the engine oil?
I have used this method for years on my Mercedes diesel.
A metal canister is held under vacuum by a vac cleaner and a 1/2" plastic hose is connected to the top of the canister and the dipstick tube.
Key is that the dipstick tube goes all the way to the bottom of the oil pan. Does the 1.9L diesel have that?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
The Pella 6000 is a favorite extractor for the TDI community. It's safe, I've done this on every TDI i've ever owned.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I've done it, my oil extractor wasn't that great, made a bit of a mess. So the first suggestion would be to get a good extractor. The Pella looks nice.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
The PELA is alright but IMO it's not fantastic. The pump pushes onto the base and it pops off annoyingly when you least expect. I don't dislike it enough to go try something else because it does work but there's got to be a better design out there.

·
Registered
950 Posts
The PELA is alright but IMO it's not fantastic. The pump pushes onto the base and it pops off annoyingly when you least expect. I don't dislike it enough to go try something else because it does work but there's got to be a better design out there.
Perhaps the Motive extractor?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oil Extractor

That's great to hear.
What I have been using for years is similar to the Pella, except the pump is my shop vac (no pumping and no popping off). The price was $ 0.00.

·
Registered
8 Posts
oil extraction

Also using the pella ,,,main reason is because of diesel geek skid plate , which is a great product . I work construction and sometimes have to drive on roads made of large processed stone . Not much ground clearance . The only small. drawback is that the new oil looks.dirty , and I am getting out all the old oil as poss , thru the dipstick and oil filter can. All.the little openings so enough of the old oil is not coming out.as to.color the. New ,, strictly a cosmetic thing. , have 260000 and going strong ...02. NBD. Automatic..AVERAGES 44mpg 36 LOW. 49 HIGH

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Oil in a TDI is always going to look dirtier fairly fast. More soot and such that gets in it vs in a gas engine. In my IDI, you can put fresh oil in and after the first drive the oil is already black. Perfectly normal and nothing that can be done about it. Such is the nature of the diesel engine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
dirty looking oil

I.have run diesel .constuction equipment for 33 years..After an oil change.in a big cat , cummings , or GMC.diesel the oil will.remain clean looking.for at least 40 hrs. , so much for your nature of diesels explanation ,,, maybe when you dump the oil out the bottem of a vw diesel the result is clean iookling oil for a couple of days or weeks , depending on your drive ,

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
Actually we just completely rebuilt our IDI motor. Brand new clean engine. Black at the 500 mile oil change. And I know it wasn't "clean" looking at the 100 mile change either. Its the soot that does it. And on an older engine, it will happen almost instantly.

·
Who is John Galt?
695 Posts
I.have run diesel .constuction equipment for 33 years..After an oil change.in a big cat , cummings , or GMC.diesel the oil will.remain clean looking.for at least 40 hrs. , so much for your nature of diesels explanation ,,, maybe when you dump the oil out the bottem of a vw diesel the result is clean iookling oil for a couple of days or weeks , depending on your drive ,
Nope, it makes no difference. Mine's been done both ways and the oil is almost instantly black after a change.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Diesel engines with no EGR's stay cleaner much longer.
I am running Malone tunes with dynamic EGR. The oil is cleaner over time with dyn EGR over that of stock EGR function.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a hand pump vaccum extractor from West Marine, their brand that looks alot like a Pella. I changed the oil in my new-to-me PD last week by sucking through the dipstick tube, then also pulled drain plug (to install magnet) and got maybe 2 ounces of oil from the pan. IMHO the top sider is more than adequate at removeing the old oil, especialy if you suck the oil from the filter housing as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts