NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tessie <3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi!!!....well tomorrow i will change the oil of my beetle...i want to use the syntetic oil....is it safe to just do an oil change using a syntetic oil when probably the previous owner used regular oil???? do they need to flushed my car completely to use syntetic oil??? my beetle its automatic...my beetle is from 2004 gls series, thats all i know of the car :(....dont have the users manual...my beetle doest leak oil....is there an specific brand u guys use?....im asking bc i read on another thread here that the coolant used for beetle its different and i really dont want to mess it up, its the only car i have to drive to work....i will really appreciate the info....thanks :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
hi!!!....well tomorrow i will change the oil of my beetle...i want to use the syntetic oil....is it safe to just do an oil change using a syntetic oil when probably the previous owner used regular oil???? do they need to flushed my car completely to use syntetic oil??? my beetle its automatic...my beetle is from 2004 gls series, thats all i know of the car :(....dont have the users manual...my beetle doest leak oil....is there an specific brand u guys use?....im asking bc i read on another thread here that the coolant used for beetle its different and i really dont want to mess it up, its the only car i have to drive to work....i will really appreciate the info....thanks :)
Doesn't matter whether it's a 1.8L turbo or the 2.0L, whether the previous oil was convention or synthetic, whether it's a low mileage vehicle or a high mileage one, or what your specific climatic conditions are, as long as your in North America, Castrol Syn, 5w40 or Mobil 1, 0w40, the Mobil 1 filter is excellent. Read more here-
http://newbeetle.org/forums/1-8-liter-turbo/53357-oil-change-advice-sought.html?highlight=castrol

MORAV

·
Tessie <3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank u, that was a very interesting thread...i will show it to my mothers boyfriend...he is helping me with the car....i will try to find that german castrol synthetic oil :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
thank u, that was a very interesting thread...i will show it to my mothers boyfriend...he is helping me with the car....i will try to find that german castrol synthetic oil :)
You're fine with Mobil 1 0w40, or Castrol Edge 5w40, either should be easy to find, and as good as any unless you want to go the $10+ per qt route. Amsoil can be ordered, register on their site to obtain wholesale pricing. www.castrol.com has a product locator. I have seen both the Mobil 1 and the Castrol Edge at Wally World, but that varies with the market.

·
Tessie <3
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank u, yeah my mecanic was able to find the two syntetic oils you mention...i will actually do the oil change next week and i will also pay for the alignment of my tires..since the car had some problems with one of the lights and window i had to pay for the inspection and i'm broke now :( lol but my car its worth it....so far my mecanic told me that everything looks good with the car, it only a few cosmetic things to fix on my beetle :)....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts