NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what kind of oil is good for a 2002 1.8t automatic?

fiance's car is going in today for a change and was just going to take it to one of the quick change places...what is recommended? car has roughly 40xxx on it

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
This time of year that is a good choice. In the warm months a 5w-40 or 0w-40 would be good choices.

·
I told you so!
56 Posts
Ditto, definitely use synthetic in a turbo application. I second hannaco's choice of weights (5W-40, 0W-40).

·
Delightfully Tacky
1,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so it looks like in a month we are going to have to change it back to 5-40 seeing as that we are going to be in phoenix

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Jazzcat,

Ask some of the moderators, like CrazyJames, noR and Fowvay, and they'll prolly tell you to run ow-40....I"m in PA and run it year round...

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
Both of my gasser NBs run Mobil 1 0w40, which does meet VW specs. ;)

-Des

·
Registered
49 Posts
Anyone running Rotella Full Synthetic 5w-40? I noticed it is $3.86 a qt at Wal-Mart vs $5 a qt for Mobil 1. I looked around on the web and the Rotella seems "as good". I currently am using Mobil 1 EP 5w-30....

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Just a freindly reminder...

An engine runs just as hot on a -40*F day as it does on a 120*F day. The thing that changes is Cold Start up Temps.

Basically in the crudest definitions.. the 5W and 0W are all about start up temps and the 30 and 40 are all about the running temps.

Which means that for maxinum engine protection always have at least a 40 weight oil in your car. For cold start ups a 0W is better since it gets to the top of the engine faster than a 5W.

I use Mobil1 0W40 for those reasons...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts