NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
Spud Bug said:
What brand of oil and filter do they recommend for the NB.
By "they" I assume you mean VW officially? If so, it should be 5W-40 oil with a VW filter (which is probably made by Mann).

Since you live in PNW, 5W-30 is probably fine since 5W-40 is hard to find. But if you have oil consumption issues, you might want to thicken things up with 10W-40 (which is what I run). I'm also cheap and use Castrol GTX (just bought several cases at Fred's for $1.40 a quart) but I splurge for a Bosch filter.

If you've got the money to spend, Des's recommendation of 0W-40 synthetic is probably the best choice. :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
My 2.0 was burning, and I just filled him up with 10w30 oil.. so far, no noticable burning. Mobile-1 Synthetic is all I use, every 10k, with a cheap FRAM filter (cause I can't seem to find someone locally who carries a BOSCH filter).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use the OEM filter, which is either Mann or Mahle. I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 full synthetic. My mothers 01 bug hasn't burned any oil at all. You can pick up a gallon of Rotella T for around $13.74 at Wallyworld.

I stopped using Mobil 1 oils because they shear out of grade. What ever you do don't use a Fram filter. The Bosch filters we can buy here in the US are made by Champion labs here in the US. They are pretty much the same inside as the STP, and Supertech from Wallyworld. If you don't want to use the OEM filter. I would suggest a Wix/Napa gold one.

Good luck

·
Lurker Status Assumed.
858 Posts
so, i'm pretty much still a noob in the oil change area, seeing as how i've taken it to a shop every time i needed one. nevertheless, i have a related question.

pretty sure my engine is a little low on oil for whatever reason and thats why it's been knockin a little. last place that changed my oil used castrol brands, if i remember right, but's thats all i know (no xWxx or whatnot). if i were to add a little to top up the level, is it ok to use a different weight to top it up? or do i need find out what it was and add that type and only that type?

also, does it need to be castrol? or does that not matter at all...

i know i sound completely clueless here, but im not tryin to be. oil is like the one car thing i havent a clue about. (and i better learn quick seeing as how i'm studying to be an automotive engineer.)

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
It is best to use the same type oil to top up as was used for the original fill. But, you can use a different one to top up. Printed on most oil bottles is a note saying that it will mix with all other oils.

·
a.k.a. porkchopzz4
890 Posts
finklejag said:
I use the OEM filter, which is either Mann or Mahle. I use Shell Rotella T 5W-40 full synthetic. My mothers 01 bug hasn't burned any oil at all. You can pick up a gallon of Rotella T for around $13.74 at Wallyworld.
Rotella is oil for a diesel - so I assume this means you have a TDI?

Also, KC - Autozone carries the Bosch filters.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Turboboy said:
Why no Fram filter?

Fram's are poorly constructed. They use cardboard end caps, they flow really poor also. Here is a great link to see how other filters look like inside.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2994615#post2994615

Porkchop said:
Rotella is oil for a diesel - so I assume this means you have a TDI?
Rotella T and Mobil Delvac 1 are made for the diesel market. They are also can be used for gas engines. They are either SL or SM rated. They have a higher detergent content to clean diesel engines. So they can help clean our 2.slow really well. Another thing about diesel oil is they stay in grade. They don't shear down because of their higher viscosity.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Did you see how cheap fram was made?????
I knew it, something has steerd me away from fram ever sense my first car. Guess im glad i had a conspericy on them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts