NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that I would be waaaaayyyyy early per VW standards, but does anyone change their oil early? I am talking like at the first 1000 on the odometer? I did on my last vehicle just to get rid of all the breakin junk. Wondered if it would be worth it on these as well. I know VW won't cover, but that isn't the point, I would do it if it could/would help any or be preventative at all.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Not from what I've seen on the new stuff. TDI's first oil changes are scheduled for 10k. Some do change it early, but it doesn't seem to be necessary.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
VW service calls for every 10 on the 2012 turbo and that's all they cover, but it may be worth it for my peace of mind to just do it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought 10K between oil changes was far to much. I've only got about 300 miles on mine, but I don't plan on going anywhere near 10K between oil changes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On a first change absolutely!! My last new vehicle 2010 F150 I did my first change at 500 miles then at the 1000 mile mark. Then what ever regular maintenance schedule you want to follow

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm doing my first at 1000, just for paranoia. I think I may do it between 5 and 7.5k miles after again just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I did my first oil change at 1,000 miles.

Years ago, this was common practice to do one at 1,000 or even 500 miles. My understanding is that it didn't used to be possible to build a motor on a large scale to the tolerances we do today, so there was more dirt, metal, etc. being created that needed to be removed with an oil change at low miles.

Shouldn't be necessary with modern cars, and some say it's even better not to, since the manufacturers might be putting in additives to help with the initial break in process.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts